PDA

View Full Version : PA pistol transfer question

Deerhunter
April 16, 2009, 12:24 PM
My dad gave me 2 pistols when I was living in PA. He was also a resident of PA. I was then given a pistol by my grandfather that he got in WWII again both of us were PA residents. It is a nice French pistol, hardly fired and only dropped once. Anyway I owened them while we all lived in PA. I have since moved to VA. I know I don't have to register them in VA. Is there anything that I should have done or need to do to legally own them?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Shorts
April 16, 2009, 12:41 PM
They are yours. You don't need to do anything except care for them :)

Deerhunter
April 16, 2009, 12:44 PM
Shorts

Thanks

NavyLT
April 16, 2009, 02:53 PM
If the transfers ocurred after Feb 24, 2001, unless there is an exception for immediate family members (and there might be, I don't know), then the guns should have transferred to you at a sherrif's office or PA FFL and a PA form SP 4-113 should have been completed for each transfer.

HOWEVER, now that you are in Virginia and nobody really gives a rodent's behind, Shorts' statement is true and accurate.

Shorts
April 16, 2009, 02:57 PM
Good cover LT, I got lazy on that. I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night :(:D

Fine print is the best word to take in regards to state laws.

NavyLT
April 16, 2009, 03:08 PM
Good cover LT, I got lazy on that. I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night

You aren't admitting to being at a Holiday Inn but not sleeping are you? wink-wink-nudge-nudge

Shorts
April 16, 2009, 04:56 PM
haha! Noooooooo!

We're technically at a Budget Suites. :D

Deerhunter
April 20, 2009, 09:14 AM
Nope I had the pistols from my dad before 2001. The other one technically was mine before that. I just left it at my grandparents since I was in the military and wanted to wait on taking it with me. Thanks for all the help.