PDA

View Full Version : Sabot plastic buildup?

bwheasler
April 14, 2009, 03:24 PM
How often due you sabot shooters, clean your barrel? I have at least 50 rds thru might 870 since the last cleaning. Can plastic from repeated sabot shots build up in the riflings? Accuracy has not seemed to die off. But bought a new scope and going to have to start from scratch.

Ruger4570
April 14, 2009, 08:30 PM
I clean my rifled barrels everytime I shoot, that is of course if I have sighted in for deer and then it gets cleaned after the season. Plastic can build up just as can lead or copper in rifles and pistols. The amount it affects your gun will depend on YOUR gun. Some are more forgiving than others.

zippy13
April 14, 2009, 10:53 PM
I think the real question is: Is plastic fouling significant in a gun with a non-cantilever scope mount? With your set up, my gut feeling is that your scope mount is the weakest link and plastic build-up may be a moot point. If you're really concerned about accuracy, don't you need a scope mount fixed to the barrel not pinned to the receiver?

bwheasler
April 15, 2009, 12:57 PM
When I first scope my shotgun many years ago,the mount I have was the only thing availabe. It has served me well and many a deer and hogs have fell to it. I getting 4' groups at 100yds regularly, so hunting accuraccy has been adequate, be there is always room for improvement. That's why we play with them isn't it? Plus a good excuse to by more toys.