PDA

View Full Version : 870 Super Magnum for home defense?

cunanse
April 12, 2009, 05:19 PM
I have a Rem 870 Express Super Magnum. I want to be able to use it for home defense. Are there 18" barrels for the super magnum? My other question would be if the one-star barrel I currently have can use 00 Buck?

freakintoguns
April 12, 2009, 05:26 PM
check ot remingtons webpage, im surethey have 18" barrels that can handle the 3.5" shells with ease

jmr40
April 12, 2009, 05:36 PM
Last time I checked Remington would not sell extra 3 1/2" barrels because they are afraid someone would put them on a 3" or shorter receiver and try to shoot the longer shells through it. I called Remington several years ago and tried to buy one. They may have changed their policies since then however.

You can, however buy a shorter barrel with a 3" chamber and it will fit on the supermag. Just do not try to shoot the 3 1/2" shells with the 3" chamber barrel.

scorpion_tyr
April 12, 2009, 07:15 PM
I've never seen an 18" barrel chambered for 3.5" shells for sale. I have an 870 Express Super Magnum that came with a longer barell that had been cut down to 18.75".

I know gunsmiths can cut a barrel down and put a bead on it for fairly inexpensive.

I can say that from the experience I gathered at the range today is that I'll never buy or load 3.5" 00BK in it ever again. Too much kick, less ammo capacity, 2.75" 00BK works just fine for HD.