PDA

View Full Version : 870 .410 fixed full barrel

ericswan_1
April 12, 2009, 01:21 AM
k sorry to post another one bout the same thing here. is there another barrel made for the remington 870 express other than the fixed full choke. im having trouble finding anything out about any other barrel. Can I shoot slugs through the fixed full choke, and am i the only pearson who has thought about this.

Thanks Eric

hogdogs
April 12, 2009, 01:38 AM
I am not 100% positive about the .410 slugs as I had an adjustable choke on my 1950's .410 bolt gun but I fired many thru it with the choke cranked full tight. On a bigger bore gun, the rifled lead slug is safe thru a full choke as the rifle grooves are there to allow the slug to be tight fit in an open barrel but swage down in a tighter constriction.
Brent

Bill DeShivs
April 12, 2009, 01:51 AM
Yes, you can.

dropthehammer
April 12, 2009, 07:53 AM
Any .410 barrel from a Wingmaster will fit your .410 Express. The Wingmaster barrels were offered in all the standard fixed choke configurations. Try the slugs out of your barrel first, it may shoot them well.

zippy13
April 12, 2009, 11:08 AM
Dropthehammer is correct, the Wingmaster barrels will fit, but the finish will be different (if that bothers you). It's my understanding, over the years, the vast majority of fixed choke .410s have been choked full.

Pete

ericswan_1
April 12, 2009, 09:49 PM
Great. Thanks you guys I was a little worried about shooting a slug through the full choke, but I will give it a try. just wanted to make shure i wouldnt dammage the barrel or myself. Thanks again.

the barrel reads 3" now can i shoot 2 1/2" and 3" or just 3" only.

Thanks
Eric

Ruger4570
April 12, 2009, 10:01 PM
You can shoot either and don't worry about a full choke. The "rifling" on a rifled slug is to allow it to compress and pass through any choke safely. As far as spinning the slug because of the rifling on the slug, it ain't gonna happen. If the rifling stuck out like a feather on an arrow it might spin the slug but it is far too shallow for the air to actually spin the slug, at least to anything meaningful for stabilization.

banditt007
April 12, 2009, 10:24 PM
Def safe to shoot foster slugs through it.