PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose sights for my 870!!

Ruthless4christ
April 11, 2009, 09:33 PM
Just came by a 870 express tactical mag, but its the one that only comes with a front bead sight, and I need to pick some good sights for it.

I am open to all ideas, and no im not putting them on myself, im having a smith do it.

Sarge
April 11, 2009, 09:44 PM
Have you shot it with the bead yet?

Ruthless4christ
April 11, 2009, 10:01 PM
No but i have shot quite a few scatterguns with bead sights and am not a fan. I guess it not that bad if you only plan to use buckshot but id like to be able to fire slugs. Anyway i just like the way rear sights look, to me the gun aint complete withought it.

Lee Lapin
April 12, 2009, 07:42 AM
I sure wish I could help...

lpl

scorpion_tyr
April 12, 2009, 09:05 AM
The clip on fiber optic sights ($15) seem to work well. I've also recently seen ghost ring night sights, I believe they were Trijicons ($100).

timothy75
April 12, 2009, 04:37 PM
If we're talking home defense the bead is the best choice. I couldnt imagine trying to look through a peep and find a post in low light (anything indoors) with a bad guy advancing from 5 feet. Good luck

scorpion_tyr
April 12, 2009, 07:16 PM
bad guy advancing from 5 feet.

I pretty much agree with you, but at that range I'm just going to point and pull. Not saying everyone should do this, but when I do it at the range it works pretty well for me.

rantingredneck
April 12, 2009, 08:03 PM
Remember that 20" rifle sight remchoke barrel I mentioned in your turkey hunting thread??? :D.

Perfect double duty barrel IMO.

Ruthless4christ
April 12, 2009, 08:32 PM
Yeah but if its choked wont that prevent it from giving me a good spread at close range? Can you even shoot 00 buck through a full choke?

rantingredneck
April 14, 2009, 09:10 AM
You can, but you see it has screw in chokes. Select the proper choke for the job intended.

3 of my Remington guns sit in the safe right now with their magazines full of 00 buck and an improved cylinder choke installed.

If I went turkey hunting tomorrow I'd swap chokes and ammo and hit the woods. Simple.......

Depending on the particular buckshot load I'm using I use either IC/Mod or Imp Mod/Light Full choke.

Typically you don't want a wide spread exactly (at least I don't). I'd prefer a pattern that keeps all pellets on a human torso to 25 yds. Use a sheet of 8.5x11" paper to test. Hold that piece of paper up in front of your chest and look at the coverage area and organs/structures that would be affected by a pattern of that size.

Granted at shorter range it will be a smaller pattern, but that's OK too.........