PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between a Steel Shot and a Regular Shotgun Barrel?

Bubbaubba
April 11, 2009, 09:22 PM
Could some one please tell me just what makes some shotgun barrels ok to shoot steel shot shells and some barrels not ok? Can you shoot steel shot out of a full choke barrel or dose it have to be a modified barrel? Please only someone respond that has actual knowledge of this process.
Thanks
Semper Fi

hogdogs
April 11, 2009, 09:41 PM
One possible thing is that a "full choke" "no steel" is too full for steel. steel does not compress in a full choke like lead and can/does bulge barrels from excessive pressure buildup. I do not know more than this but check back as many guys are very well learned on water fowl as well as steel shot and gunsmithing...
Brent

Bubbaubba
April 12, 2009, 12:18 AM
Hogdogs:
Thanks for your response. I want to start duck hunting this year arround Lake Okeechobee with a friend of mine i never used steel shot before so i want to make sure that i choose the right gun for the task. I used to duck hunt about 47 years ago but back then you were allowed to use lead shot. I do'nt understand it you can shoot anything you want with lead but not a "DUCK" funny is'nt it. :D

Semper Fi

hogdogs
April 12, 2009, 12:22 AM
What really sux is you can shoot bullfrogs on the bank of the best duck pond with lead shot but you gotta use steel for the ducks:mad: Screw it... no ducks for me!
Unless of course I find "non migrant mallards" then you can use a rifle if you want in the state of florida year around as they are on the NON NATIVE INVASIVE SPECIE LIST!!!
Brent

Bubbaubba
April 12, 2009, 12:51 AM
hogdogs:
Thats freeken funny i got a good laugh out of that one:D Someone told me that if i use a stainless steel choke tube that i could shoot steel shot out of my old gun. I do'nt want to have to go out and buy another shotgun if i can avoid doing it safely. I was looking at replacement barrels at "Cabelas" that shoot steel shot for my "Old Remington 1100". But they want as much for the "Barrel" than what i paid for the whole gun when it was "New" $249.99 plus shipping?

hogdogs
April 12, 2009, 01:09 AM
Is your barrel stamped LEAD ONLY NO STEEL SHOT? removeable chokes? Or is the choke stamped "LEAD ONLY"?
If it is the tube that is marked than get a steel approved tube or a nearly open tube for the steel according to many here... Use the search function above and search "Steel shot". We had many questions and answers on this last fall and winter...
Brent

Bubbaubba
April 12, 2009, 01:16 AM
hogdogs:
Thanks for the information i hope i can do that it will save me a lot of money. Theve already taken hunting to the other level with high prices on amunnition license and guns. I get the Gold License every year that way i'm covered for everything.

Semper Fi

jmr40
April 12, 2009, 07:05 AM
A little more info is needed really. What type of gun and when it was made would be helpful. The lead shot ban has been in place since 1988 or 89. I do not know of any guns made since then that are not safe to use steel shot. If your shotgun is older than that you may want check further. Even if it was made after 1989 steel shot is not recommended with full choke tubes. Steel shot generally patterns tighter anyway so a standard modified tube will pattern about like a full choke tube if you are shooting steel shot. An IC tube will patern like a modified tube.