PDA

View Full Version : Was denied today

Stuohn
April 9, 2009, 09:56 PM
On my way to the Range today and I noticed that the local skeet/trap club was open and pretty crowded. So I go in and ask the guy at the counter prices and then ask if there are any barrel length requirements. The guy says no. So then I explain that its an 18" barrel pump shotgun. The guy says he doesn't have a problem with it. Another guy (don't know if he worked there or not) states "I think some of the guys out there will have a problem". I then explained that I have shot skeet before with same gun so I can handle funny looks from others. So the second guy asks the first guy what if the ejected shells hit someone? So first guy tells me maybe you should get a longer barrel. (not sure how a longer barrel changes the path of an ejected shell):confused:. So I figured screw it their range their rules said O.K. and left. Sucks though cause I like to shoot skeet with the 18" barrel (challenge) and can't find another range. Oh well just have to shoot at paper.

kwells6
April 9, 2009, 10:06 PM
thats outrageous! I personally would go to the Range Master/President

USMCGrunt
April 9, 2009, 10:34 PM
Let me guess, some Fudd is biggoted against anything that looks like some sort of EEEEEEEEEEVIL sawed-off shotgun. Never mind that 18" barrels are perfectly legal and that changing the barrel to a longer one will do NOTHING to change the ejection pattern of any spent hull....it's just that it looks EEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL and has no place in their sport of "gentlemen." :rolleyes:
Now I'm not bashing the sport (although trap and skeet are a couple sports I haven't tried...something I guess I am going to have to remedy when I get back to the world) nor am I bashing those that prefer to use dedicated trap or skeet guns designed for that sport. What I WILL bash however is the biggoted mentality of the Fudd community that would gladly throw another segment of the shooting society to the liberal wolves if it means they get to keep their guns for just one more day! :mad:

johnwilliamson062
April 9, 2009, 11:00 PM
I use the same 11-87 for trap, HD, and deer hunting. SOmetimes I don't switch all the accessories in between roles, so I end up with extra shell holders filled with 00buck or a camo sling on it when I go to shoot trap. Get quite a few looks.

YOu realize if you work the pump slow it will roll out the ejection port, right?

zippy13
April 9, 2009, 11:08 PM
...So I go in and ask the guy at the counter prices and then ask if there are any barrel length requirements. The guy says no. So then I explain that its an 18" barrel pump shotgun...
Perhaps you should have accepted his "no" as being unqualified and just signed-up for the next available squad.

RoscoeC
April 9, 2009, 11:29 PM
The club where I shoot has a clearly posted minimum barrel length of 22". If the place didn't have the restriction clearly posted I would have proceeded on.

You're right, their place, their rules, but if those rules aren't clear, then they need to let you go with your short barrel.

Another club where I shoot has no restrictions. I have often shot there with my 20" barreled 870.

I would ask for a formal ruling from management. It sounds to me like you just ran into a cranky old goober with a personal prejudice.

freakintoguns
April 10, 2009, 03:28 AM
theres a appropiate gun for shooting baked clay? jeez, me and my buddies use everything from shotgunsd to .22s to shoot clays out of the sky. makes for fun times when out plinking.

TMackey
April 10, 2009, 04:45 AM
Thank goodness I don't have to deal with you and your "buddies" when I shoot clay targets.The reason is the rules at the ranges I shoot at.If you do not agree with the rules go somewhere else with your tactical self and go for the "challenge".

WOW. :confused:

Jofaba
April 10, 2009, 07:05 AM
Hmm, I've never even thought about the length of my shotgun before. I have a Benelli SuperNova pump and apparently it's 18.4 inches. Is the restriction based on spread, and thus negating skill? Kind of makes sense...

Guess I'll be looking to get a longer barreled shotgun. I haven't gotten into the actual sport of skeet or trap, but I have a foot-activated launcher and have gotten quite good at it, with my Benelli.

I got the launcher to practice solo before ever joining in on any of the parties that take place at the range. I was really bad at first, getting around 5%, have since gone up to 90+ on singles, 50+ on doubles.

Now that I'm actually decent, it'd be terribly embarassing to be turned away. It's tough enough seeing as the parties consist of mostly older guys with very traditional shotguns.

Glad to see this post, I'll be sure to check with the rules before I show up and find myself slinking off, head down, shotgun in hand unfired.

Mike Irwin
April 10, 2009, 07:24 AM
I've run into that before. I took living hell from some old guy at a club once for shooting my 12 gauge cruiser on the skeet range. Did very well with it.

I used the same gun a few years ago when shooting a couple of rounds of 5 stand with Dave (moderator here), and also did fairly well.

Unfortunately, not long after, the place where I shoot adopted the 22" barrel rule.

jr05
April 10, 2009, 07:48 AM
What type of barrel was the 18"? Was it choked or a cylindrical bore?

I personally have no issue with an 18" choked barrel, but if it is a cylindrical bore it does not belong on the trap/skeet fields. Other people may chime in about muzzle blast and noise which are also probably valid. I would have asked somebody with a little more knowledge at the club before giving up though.

theres a appropiate gun for shooting baked clay? jeez, me and my buddies use everything from shotgunsd to .22s to shoot clays out of the sky. makes for fun times when out plinking.

Yes, .22s are NOT a gun to be shooting clays out of the sky with! On the ground...that is a different matter. Shooting flying clays with a .22lr is completely stupid. There are areas where it MAY be acceptable if there are MILES AND MILES between you and anything, but for the average person, shooting .22lr basically just into the air is NOT a smart choice.

Dingoboyx
April 10, 2009, 07:49 AM
Yeah mate, all guns are good to blast clays, I have move up on the mound behind the launcher and shot clays with my rossi SbS hammered coach gun and blasted a few :D Have also gone after clays with my vaquaro, got a couple too :D Our range has a high mound and a high hill behind as a backstop so we are actually shooting low into the sky rather than high in the air

Stuohn, I would have stayed and shot, I would have asked for the far right hand spot, so my hulls were ejecting into no mans land (not at the guy on the right, coz there isnt one) IMO, if the guy at the range said "no probs" that is the only opinion that would count ;)

I have seen some of the fudds at my local trap range with their high-falootin' you beaut shotties that eject so violently they nearly hit people (with the hulls) 10' behind them.

I agree it would be annoying to keep having to dodge the guy on your left's hulls as you are readying to call, thats why I say get the right hand most position which eliminates that particular problem. If the others rotate, just ask if you can stay on the far right :D

wyobohunter
April 10, 2009, 07:55 AM
I think you may have approached the whole thing wrong. If you hadn't even mentioned it and just went shooting you may have gotten along just fine with the "Fudds". Sometimes things are only an issue because we expect them to be.

zippy13
April 10, 2009, 10:06 AM
^ Yep. The OP missed a golden opportunity to keep his mouth shut.

Mike Irwin
April 10, 2009, 11:03 AM
"I personally have no issue with an 18" choked barrel, but if it is a cylindrical bore it does not belong on the trap/skeet fields."

I have to ask just why not?

A shotgun is a shotgun, no matter what bore constriction it has. I've done very well on skeet with my 18" barreled S&W and equally well on skeet with my Remington 58 with a 26" barrel with the polychoke set, at various times, to cylinder, improved cylinder, and modified.

zxcvbob
April 10, 2009, 11:18 AM
everything from shotgunsd to .22s to shoot clays out of the sky.So what was your backstop when you were shooting the .22 up in the air?

Dingoboyx
April 10, 2009, 12:52 PM
The clouds :D

rjrivero
April 10, 2009, 01:01 PM
What type of barrel was the 18"? Was it choked or a cylindrical bore?

I personally have no issue with an 18" choked barrel, but if it is a cylindrical bore it does not belong on the trap/skeet fields. Other people may chime in about muzzle blast and noise which are also probably valid. I would have asked somebody with a little more knowledge at the club before giving up though.
I don't give that argument any validity. A ported Sporting Clays Over/Under makes a hell of a racket. I have a tactical Benelli M1 with an 18" barrel and every now and again I take it out for clays killing. It's important to train with a weapon you use for defense. You need to be able to get it on target quickly and reliably. I argue that you NEED to shoot these Tactical Shotguns on a regular basis to develop the muscle memory.

Getting an 18" barreled shotgun on the birds at a Trap Field is not an easy task.

haiyter
April 10, 2009, 04:16 PM
if there is no barrel length requirement, i dont see why you would ask in the beginning. You should have just went in and said yours is a 20 inch or some b.s lol

Dave McC
April 10, 2009, 09:38 PM
As some of you know, my home range has a 23" minimum barrel length rule that causeth my BP to rise.

The official reason is noise, but a 21" turkey barrel is quieter than most ported 30" O/Us. And very much quieter than a shotgun equipped with the old Cutts Compensator.

And, like other epithets, "Fudd" is not welcome here.

And Mike, we need to shoot together again.

chris in va
April 10, 2009, 10:00 PM
The Bull Run Shooting Center in N. Va disallowed short barrel shotguns a couple years ago after too many sweeps and ND's. I think their rule now is a minimum of 24".

So what was your backstop when you were shooting the .22 up in the air?

C'mon, everyone knows the bullet stops at the target!

sailskidrive
April 10, 2009, 10:47 PM
The Prince George's County Trap and Skeet facility here in MD also has a barrel length minimum, it's either 20" or 22". The last time I shot there the guy at the counter asked me what kind of guns we were using.

I think it's a safety issue dictated by their insurance. Anyway, with the seriousness and general high quality of the guns at the facility, I would be embarrassed as hell to take my 590A1 pump on the green or through the course...

~Sail

USMCGrunt
April 10, 2009, 11:45 PM
The Bull Run Shooting Center in N. Va disallowed short barrel shotguns a couple years ago after too many sweeps and ND's. I think their rule now is a minimum of 24".

And 5 1/2" more barrel is a solution to this problem? :rolleyes: Claims of insurance requirements? I'm not from Missouri but you'd have to show me that in the policy before I buy that story. No, I think the simple answer is the correct one in that biggoted Fudds just don't like certain segments of the shooting community.

Dingoboyx
April 11, 2009, 05:23 AM
I get off on all shooting sports, not a 'die hard' fan of any one particular branch of the sport. I used to wonder why the serious skeeters hated to see any gun on the line that wasn't 'up to standard'

A few monts back, the president of my black powder club and a couple of our members went to a Wednesday evening trap shooting club at our range complex, Steve (the Bp pres.) took an O&U field gun, I took my Rossi hammer coach gun, we had a blast (literally) :D Steve was knocking down 18 out of 20, I didnt shoot in the comp, I just had a shot after the comp finished, (got 11 out of 20 (from closer to the thrower)

Later we heard some others weren't impressed, not just that Steve beat alot of them with his $300 field gun, but the Skeeter president explained quit simply...... These guys only shoot trap, they buy expensive, skeet orientated guns, have them tricked up & fitted and are serious about the comps. Outsiders bringing other guns, like steves field gun, is annoying, like if you turned up at a formular 1 race and entered a hotted up gremlin or something (purely as an example) or entered a hotted up family station wagon in the Busch series at Indy. Ok the car might be quick, but it isn't the done thing. There is no place for that car (gun) in the race (comp) I can see now, It would be prudent to shoot our fun stuff before or after (or another day) the club nite comp that the serious dudes have lived all week in wait for the nite's comp.

Thanks for this thread, Stuohn, sort of made me think :eek: and I for one will be giving the shottie dudes a bit more respect from now on :D

Perhaps, Stuohn, you did make the right decision to leave after all, perhaps it would be better for you to ask the club if they have a practic/open day when you and others can bring non-conforming guns and do some clay clobbering, or even ask if you can even organise a separate day for this 'blasphemic act'?

Shame it ruined your day tho, mate, it's awful leaving any range disapointed :(

johnbt
April 11, 2009, 06:37 AM
"A ported Sporting Clays Over/Under makes a hell of a racket."

They should be banned too.

"WHAT? WHAT'D YOU SAY? I CAN'T HEAR YOU."

http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/horsey.gif

Old Guard Dog
April 11, 2009, 06:56 AM
As far as the open cyl being improper for skeet, check out what chokes they are using. A skeet choke is only a .005" constriction, and I am sure some have modified that to open up even more.

.45 COLT
April 11, 2009, 06:57 AM
If the others rotate, just ask if you can stay on the far right That should make him real popular - FNG shows up and wants to change the rules.

I've seen a lot of strange guns at various Trap fields. If a minimum barrel length wasn't posted, never should have brought it up.

DC

Old Guard Dog
April 11, 2009, 06:59 AM
A s far as an open cyl barrel is concerned, the skeet choke is only .005" constriction, so give me a break.

Katrina Guy
April 11, 2009, 08:46 AM
Shrugging shoulders, might help. (LOL)

Dave McC
April 11, 2009, 10:03 AM
Sailskidrive, PGC's minimum barrel length is 23". That's the home range I mentioned.

K Guy, "Fudd" is just another tool of divisiveness.

Do not use it on this forum again,please.

zippy13
April 11, 2009, 02:14 PM
Many of you are off target about why a short barreled shotgun may be suspect at trap and skeet clubs. Most often it's the shooter, not the gun that's in question. That look, called snobbery by many, is a club shooter sizing-up the owner of a non-target gun while thinking to himself. "Is this guy someone I want to shoot with? Is he going to fit in smoothly, or will I have to worry about my safety and constant interruptions?"

Serious shooters, practicing under comp conditions, want nothing to do with the inexperienced shooter who doesn't know about basic gun safety, the rules of the game, nor how to operate his gun. Inevitably, the inexperienced shooter will do something to make a nuisance of himself, and make the round meaningless for serious practice. Many of you talk about the high cost of club shooting. Well, the newbie who disrupts a squad has wasted their practice time and $$$.

Unlike others, I have no problem with a short barreled gun on my squad. With custom fitted comp ear plugs, any added noise isn't a problem. One of our club's past presidents shoots casual skeet proficiently with a parkerized R-870 shorty. No one complains because he follows the routine. Many shooters don't want their practice dollars wasted, and the added safety concerns associated with having a newbie on their squad. Consequently, they are vigilant to the presence of newbies, and one of the ways of identifying newbies is by their guns. This is the main reason club shooters will check out a stranger's gun. A hunting or fighting gun may indicate that the owner doesn't know his way around a target field.

a7mmnut
April 11, 2009, 02:26 PM
Serious shooters, practicing under comp conditions, want nothing to do with the inexperienced shooter who doesn't know about basic gun safety, the rules of the game, nor how to operate his gun. Inevitably, the inexperienced shooter will do something to make a nuisance of himself, and make the round meaningless for serious practice. Many of you talk about the high cost of club shooting. Well, the newbie who disrupts a squad has wasted their practice time and $$$.

Exactly what our problem as fellow shooters don't need: in-fighting.:mad:

-7-

TMackey
April 11, 2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the explanation zippy.

Now I know not to bother trying to learn any new forms of shooting disciplines. :rolleyes:

Nnobby45
April 11, 2009, 05:55 PM
So the second guy asks the first guy what if the ejected shells hit someone? So first guy tells me maybe you should get a longer barrel. (not sure how a longer barrel changes the path of an ejected shell). So I figured screw it their range their rules said O.K. and left. Sucks though cause I like to shoot skeet with the 18" barrel (challenge) and can't find another range. Oh well just have to shoot at paper.

Was it easier to get mad and leave instead of make an argument in your own behalf? A little enlightening, politely, on your part might have paved the way for you to visit the range when you wanted to. You could also have pointed out that 18" bbls. are not uncommon in hunting barrels with screw in choke systems, and make great skeet barrels.

Sorta sounds like leaving was your call, not so much theirs.

freakintoguns
April 11, 2009, 06:03 PM
Yes, .22s are NOT a gun to be shooting clays out of the sky with! On the ground...that is a different matter. Shooting flying clays with a .22lr is completely stupid. There are areas where it MAY be acceptable if there are MILES AND MILES between you and anything, but for the average person, shooting .22lr basically just into the air is NOT a smart choice.

yeah were a good 45-50 miles outside of town in the desert nothin around for miles cept a delapited barn a bridge and river rats. and we use em for groudn targets and throwing targets. i havent been able to hit one yet with from the thrower tho, but soemday ill get there :D

also zioppy, shouldnt those guys take the tiem to teahc the newb instead of shun him? when i was in kcikboxing, we didnt beat on the newbs, we helped them get profecient at the art of fighting, so when we got in the ring we could beat each other up :D

Ian0351
April 11, 2009, 06:42 PM
hmmm... why not just get a plastic clay thrower for $7 at wally world and a friend, then go to anywhere not too public for shotgun practice? This way you avoid people who look/act like a famous cartoon hunter and get better at shooting moving/flying targets. Also, I'll bet your buddy is nowhere near as consistent as the mechanical thrower your overpriced club uses, meaning you get more actual practice sighting and leading your target: double bonus.
I am interested in taking up skeet/trap shooting, but if this is what I can expect from the old guard I will keep having fun at the gravel pit with my Mossberg 500 28" ported full choke. Over/Under shotguns are as interesting to me as watching documentary films about egret migration.

zippy13
April 11, 2009, 07:08 PM
TMackey
freakintoguns

You misunderstood my comment. New shooters are welcome and encouraged. However there are procedures to be learned and followed. As a newbie, would you buy some golf clubs and expect to be put on a foursome with three experienced golfers without first paying your dues at the driving range? I think not. The same thing applies to the shooting sports. You may get the "look" for having a non-comp gun, but if you're enthusiastic and show that you're eager to learn you'll be welcomed aboard.

Most clubs have their safety rules prominently posted. Follow those rules and you'll get along. On the other hand, if you argue that the signs that say "eye and ear protection required" don't apply to you, then you won't be missed.

What may not be posted are the procedures of each of the games. That's why it's recommended that new shooters watch several rounds and get their questions answered before the sign-up. But, some newbies can't be bothered. Our club set up videos for newbies. If you'd never shot a sport before, then the rangemaster would recommend that you first check out the introductory video about that sport. We set up a training field that had information on positioning, hold points and leads at every station. Very few of the newbies were willing to take the time to watch the videos or try the training field, so the program was discontinued. Freakintoguns, you're right about offering newbies training, but you can't force it on them.

For everyone like Ryndisher or Super-Dave, who post a lot of questions before heading out to the trap field for the first time, the are scores of clueless newbies. They're unwilling to take the time to learn the rules, or operate their guns. Being a great FPS video gamer is not a passport to the shooting fields.

Often, with the arrival of serious newbies, practice is postponed in favor of an impromptu training session. I've witnessed newbies being given free introductory instructions from All-Americans team members. With several comp shooters coaching, it's common for a total newbie to be shooting in the high teens after just three or four rounds. Actually, the serious shooters are enthusiastic about newbies, they are the future of the shotgun sports. However, if the short barreled guy only wants to is see if he can hit targets from the hip and run his mouth off about how tacti-cool his bottom dollar gun is tricked out, many prefer that he shoot elsewhere.

freakintoguns
April 11, 2009, 07:24 PM
funny you mention that with golf, because that actually happend to me, and it sucked cause i didnt expect nor want that to happen just happened that way, but the pros were cool and helped me out as much as they could. but i do get where your coming from. its been my expernice that some of those high falutin types dont take kindly to those froma different ilk then themselves. thats one reason me and my buddies drive out into the desert and shoot (with safelty first of course) same reason my uncle, who is as big if not more redneck then hogdogs doesnt go to skeet shooting comps, even tho IMO he could smoke a lot of those guys. they look down on his 78 chevy pick-up dirt cheap over/under, and wranglers tho so he doesnt bother going. btu if they took the time to get to know him he could probably teach them a thing or 100

Stuohn
April 11, 2009, 08:32 PM
I really think some of you would have to have been there to fully understand the situation. First, I did not see anyone besides the two guys inside the building. The first guy I talked to was behind the cash register. Second guy was off to the side. The first guy was IMO on the fence about the situation. The second looked at me like I was something you would scrap off your shoe. Now I don't know if I handled it perfectly but, the vibe I got was that the first guy was not going to side with me over the second guy. So when the first guy told me to get the longer barrel he was not being rude but, he didn't say it like there was room for more debate either. Now, maybe I shouldn't have told them about the barrel length but, I really wasn't trying to sneak it passed them. I mean if I would have unloaded all my stuff and then been told to leave I would have been ******. So I like to come out in front of most things so they don't become issues later. Anyway since this trap/skeet range is on the way to my range I will probably stop by again in the future when their less crowded . Also I don't know to many people around here yet (just moved here) so no one to throw clays for me.

Me wanting to shoot at skeet has nothing to do will trying to be "tacti-cool". The reason I first started shooting clays was because one of the range officers (in Texas) suggested it might be fun to try. I had a borrowed Benelli SN so I tryed it and it was challenging, educational and fun. Now I could care less about how much my gun or the guys next to me cost. I think he wants to learn/practice with his choice I want to learn/practice with my choice more power to both of us.

Double Naught Spy
April 11, 2009, 09:30 PM
If there are posted or written actual range rules that stipulate gun types or characteristics, then the issue is clear cut. However, arbitrary decisions on barrel lengths (that are legal, that is), action type, loudness, etc. are just bogus.

I got a chuckle out of the concern about ejected shells hitting other shooters. If ejection direction is an issue, the other shooters can simply step back or move out of the way.

At the range where I used to shoot skeet, a lot of birders came out with their field guns to practice before and during various bird seasons. Barrel lengths vary as do actions. Some are even painted camoflage! It isn't a problem. You simply must shoot in accordance with the club's written rules. If somebody thinks your gun is too loud, it is up to that person to have better hearing protection.

hogdogs
April 11, 2009, 10:30 PM
If you showed up at the golf course dressed in "hog dogs hand me down clothes" (trust me they are thread bare rags) and a yard sale "magnum titanium driver" and a generic putter in a mildew colored golf bag and try to run a 36 hole course you are gonna get more than looks! It is bad form to hold up the followers... "pardon me playin' thru" will likely be called as the pock marked plastic ball bounces off yer head! I ain't never tried either golf or clay sports for one reason is I am not set up to play "par for the course"... Now call me any of the names enlisted against any genre of shooter and you get a golden invitation to "MY PLAYIN' FIELD"... Taking me up on this puts you in a realm for just a few real rednecks and Junior hecklin' from the sideline as he throws "dirt birds" with the "red arm" LOW AND SLOW among other random throws... Over dinner we all get to heckle each other and over supper and brews or shots we can discuss all our failures... Then after you master coke bottles we will break out the dirt birds again (can only waste so many of them fast suckers to misses) redneck destruction is as fun as it comes but when you graduate to lining up with accomplished shooters of the sport you will likely only hang out with us when a buzz or tactical work is the target of your shooting...
BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!
Sorry "Junior tiger Woods" I got nuttin' for ya unless you want hit pimple balls for us to shoot!
Brent

wyobohunter
April 11, 2009, 11:06 PM
Things must be a little diffrenter in America! At my range all are welcome; so long as they're safe. It's all about fun and practice.

wyobohunter
April 11, 2009, 11:07 PM
You have a way with words... Always fun to read your rants.

roy reali
April 11, 2009, 11:26 PM
Was this club private or public?

hogdogs
April 11, 2009, 11:33 PM
wyobo-... you claim Alaska as home and I think that is one of the "58" states of AMERICA! No golf course in Alaska? If so I bet they use the same 8+ set as the rest of the "58"... try staying ahead of the later tee time golfers with 2 clubs when they have a properly matched set for 36 holes of play.

On a trap or skeet range you have a "MAJORITY" of users. they will have 26+ inch barrels. If they had "redneck" day I might go.
I do have a 28 inch Maverick 88 but I would feel a need to go and sit for a day or 3 to learn the nuances to even try that gun. My 18 inch barrel swings real good in my hands. I love the gun and have countless thousands rounds thru it and several thousand are PGO set up.
Maybe my swing would be safe but I may be tempted to "overswing" as it is short and I do swing it with "authority". Swinging aside and shell ejection not considered as I doubt my 500 18 inch shucks a round worse than an auto or other pump gun. But the noise being exactly the same decible at muzzle is going to be much more close to other shooters ears at 8-12 inches closer!
If the same folks complaining about showing up were to go hang out, ask rules, speak to other shooters and introduce them self as a new dust disc shooter they get an invite to an appropriate day and time to "run what ya brung" and get some free schoolin' at the same time they may not only be accepted but invited and find a new bunch of buddies...
A neighbor behind my house was the senior range "feller" and was the reloader for my local skeet range. He allowed me to bring my hog hunting dogs and bulldog catch dogs "on lead" to their range one at a time so long as they stayed out of the way and quiet so I could "temper" them to any gun shot noise. He also was fast to let me know that Monday thru Thursday morning and afternoon were best for this as well as new-guy showin' up as they were more or less "practice" times as most serious attendees and serious competition were mostly friday thru sunday.
It really is a "when in Rome, do as the Romans..." As a clubber biker we allowed some invited guests to drink at our private bar but they were not allowed to change the rules of etiquette... Lucky for many shotgunners that skeet and trap clubs don't have the same "rules of engagement" we had at the "Clubhouse"...
Brent

garryc
April 11, 2009, 11:46 PM
Some of the ego maniacs in trap, and especially skeet, think you have to use an expensive double to shoot with them. I went to a trap range once where all tese uppity guys shot. My buddy had a beat up winchester 1300, his rabitt gun. The noses in the air towards him were unreal. He wiped the pants off of them. One guy made a saftey complaint saying that he might accidently load too many rounds, The next time we went we couldn't shoot.

fiream29
April 11, 2009, 11:56 PM
wyobo-... you claim Alaska as home and I think that is one of the "58" states of AMERICA! No golf course in Alaska? If so I bet they use the same 8+ set as the rest of the "58"...

Uh...Hogdogs, am I confused about your post or are you not aware there are 50 U.S. states? 48 contiguous plus Alaska and Hawaii...period. Anything else is a possession or territory.

hogdogs
April 12, 2009, 12:02 AM
Obama claimed he had visited 57 of the 58 states before he got the Dem nomination...
It was a "Punny Yoke" I am such a "COMODIAN..." Sorry, I thought everyone knew of that mistake by the messiah...
Brent

fiream29
April 12, 2009, 12:04 AM
Obama claimed he had visited 57 of the 58 states before he got the Dem nomination...
It was a "Punny Yoke" I am such a "COMODIAN..."
Brent

I got ya:). Be careful though, you don't want to mess with the messiah.

wyobohunter
April 12, 2009, 12:49 AM
I just don't golf and have never encountered uppity shooters here or in my home state (Wyoming). I spose skeet and other shotgun sports are like golf sorta like fruity martinis are like bourbon. First two are sports, second two are alcyhol. Lots of people here, esp. the old sourdough types, which I am not one of although I'm no cheechako either, call the lower 48 "America" it's kind of a joke, kind of not, lots of sentiment about succession here (oops, tangient)... Alaska isn't too different from Wyoming with the exception of better fishin here and better po' boy huntin in Wyo. And the winters are longer here but colder in Wyoming (compared to the Kenai).

Anyway, hell, I don't even remember my point.

zippy13
April 12, 2009, 01:10 AM
If the same folks complaining about showing up were to go hang out, ask rules, speak to other shooters and introduce them self as a new dust disc shooter they get an invite to an appropriate day and time to "run what ya brung" and get some free schoolin' at the same time they may not only be accepted but invited and find a new bunch of buddies...
Hey Brent,
You're right on target, as usual. Guys like that are likely to be invited to run for the board of directors, sort barrel and all.
Cheers,
Pete