PDA

View Full Version : High and Right?

T.A.Sharps
April 8, 2009, 10:53 PM
Basically I'm posting this to figure out what my shotgun is doing. Turkey season starts in a few days.

Gun Browning A-500C 28" vent rib, single bead sight.
Ammo 12ga 3" Federal "Flight Control Wad" 2 oz #4 copper plated 1150fps
Full choke
Shooting from offhand.

I "pointed" it naturally, placed the target on top of the bead. My target was a 12"x12" paper turkey head, where it shows neon green where the shot goes through.

I put my target at 30 yards, took the shot, and walked out to check. The pattern was mostly off the top edge of the paper, with only a few "killing" pellets hitting the turkey head.

After that I lowered the aim, so I would of been aiming below the turkey's head, at the end of the beard. The pattern was still high, but about half was on the head of the turkey. Though, the pattern was the most dense over the upper portion of the target.

I took my target out to 50yrds and 12 pellets hit on the "turkey", and then 75yrds where I had 7 pellets hit, but I didn't hold that much higher than I did at 30yrds. I aimed at the base of the neck, thinking the range would of brought my bead up to sight normal. Of course it is hard to tell where the pattern was centered on a 12x12 at 50 and 75 yards.

I usually think in terms of rifles so I think something might be eluding me as to what my shotgun is shooting the pattern about 12" or so high. I know I could have used a larger target to see the pattern better.

What I think is happening is a mix of recoil and flinch. If it shoots right on the bead at 30yrds, then it comes up high and a little right.

That is the only thing I can think of why I have to lead left, and aim low on a stationary target.

What does everyone else think is going on?

olddrum1
April 9, 2009, 01:41 AM
Your holding your head high and not centering your bead in the middle of the reciever. Your head is left of the stock to much. If its a one bead gun lower your head more.

rem870hunter
April 9, 2009, 06:30 AM
recoil and flinch sound like possibilties,as well as Your holding your head high and not centering your bead in the middle of the reciever. Your head is left of the stock to much. If its a one bead gun lower your head more.

are you aiming for the center of the neck? with the whole head of the turkey exposed and above the bead? is 2oz #4 shot your normal load? i've shot 3" 1 3/4 oz #5 so far federal and remington.

try shooting with a leadsled,gun rest something of the nature that you are not really having to hold the shotgun. or what i was doing was i was sitting on the ground with back against something as round as a tree (actually a telco cable spool,biggen type). using just behind the top or inside my knees to support my elbows. get as comfortable as you can,nice and steady,slowly squeeeeeeeeeeeze the shot off.

hogdogs
April 9, 2009, 07:22 AM
I am betting my doughnuts on the recoil and flinch possibility!
If you are normally shooting lower velocity rounds, you have to factor the different POA/POI combo with the faster loads.
Brent

oneounceload
April 9, 2009, 08:03 AM
If you're seeing rib, then your head isn't down on the stock and you're actually holding the barrel at an upwards angle. Otherwise, anticipating the recoil from that stout load might be your culprit.

zippy13
April 9, 2009, 11:16 AM
Yep!
When you get all those experienced shooters (above) to agree on something, there's a good chance there's some fire under the smoke. My old shot-gunning mentor used to say: "Head down and follow through."
You said you're shooting offhand -- zeroing is typically first done from a secure rest. First, you want to test the gun, not the shooter. Try again with some sandbags. After you learn that the gun's okay, then try some offhand -- for now, you don't have a clue. One of my first thoughts was that you had a bad (off centered) screw-in choke.

Pete