PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on HD shotgun

Orlan
April 8, 2009, 09:35 PM
I just purchased a Remington Sportsman with 18.5 barrel with cyl bore. I want to put Trijicon Night Sights with ghost ring on this gun. Before I pay to have the receiver drilled and taped and front sight soldered. Are there any issues with this older 870 model that I should look for a newer model? It's my understanding the Remington Sportmans was made in early 80's and was like the express made today. I like this model since the barrel and receiver are blued unlike the express model. I was told this older model does not have the internal updates that aid in clearing a jam from the mag tube. Anyone have suggestions?

old knife buddy
April 9, 2009, 07:42 AM
isnt the remington sportsman and automatic i did not no they made a 870 they called the sportsman

Dfariswheel
April 9, 2009, 07:33 PM
"Sportsman" was a name Remington used to use for a "budget" line of rifles and shotguns.
They later started using the "Express" name for the 870 pump budget line.

Your Sportsman 870 pump is a very good gun with the same forged and milled receiver as the top of the line Wingmaster 870.
The only real difference is the Sportsman had a hardwood stock and a slightly less polished blue job.
All standard 870 parts and accessories will fit.

The newer models of 870 have the "Flex-Tab" conversion that makes it easier to clear a certain type of jam.
In this stoppage, if you fail to fully push a shell into the magazine, it may get pushed back out into the action, causing a stoppage until you clear it.

To clear new guns, you simply pull harder on the fore end to force the action open.
On older guns, you either pull the trigger group out and dump the shell, OR bump the butt on the ground as you force the action open.

Truth is, this type of stoppage is strictly operator error.
The best "fix" is to practice with the gun until you don't botch the reloads.

If you really want the "Flex-Tab", you can buy a conversion kit.
This includes several parts for the trigger group AND a new bolt.
Problem is, the kit costs a bit since a new bolt is required.

Orlan
April 10, 2009, 04:55 AM
Dfariswheel,

Thank you for the detailed post was exactly what I wanted to know.

Orlan

StuntManMike
April 11, 2009, 08:51 AM
A couple of years ago, 5 Sportsmen 870's showed up on my dealer's used rack for $225. I bought one but am still kicking my self for not buying more of them.