PDA

View Full Version : Help With Brand

vel525
April 7, 2009, 12:02 AM
Hi All,

I am currently on the search for a shotgun for me to start shooting trap. I tried it for the first time this past weekend and had a blast.

Anyway, I was at the local gun shop and they had a used O/W 20ga for under $400. On the tag, it said it was a model 20. I know the brand started with a C, but I can't remember the name now. The guy at the store said it was a good quality brand, but it wasn't one that I had run into during my research. Champion is the name that comes to me, but I don't know if that's right. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

vel525
April 7, 2009, 06:36 PM
I figured it out....Centurion. :)

JWT
April 7, 2009, 06:56 PM
Can't help you on the Centurian but would like to suggest you consider going with a 12 ga rather than a 20. If you start out with a 20 there's a very strong probability you'll want a 12 after you get started.

If recoil is an issue consider a gas operated semi auto (such as a Remington 1100) - very negligible recoil even in a 12ga.

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions to this post.

oneounceload
April 7, 2009, 08:10 PM
Centurion could be either Turkish or Chinese, depending.....(from a Google search)

IMO, for shooting targets, where 100-250 per day is not unreasonable, I'm not so certain that it would stand up to that amount of use.

A nice used Remington 1100 or similar would be more suited to the task in that budget range

waterdog89
April 7, 2009, 08:22 PM
Its hard to beat a good Remington 1100.

vel525
April 7, 2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the advise. I've been doing some more research on here (lots of great info btw!) and I decided to pass on the Centurion. Actually, it was made in Turkey, I remember reading that on the gun.

I think I found my first shotgun! It is a used 870 Express Magnum 12ga at one of my local stores with a 28" barrel and modified choke. It seems to be a fair price and from all my reading the 870 seems to be a great first shotgun. Planning on picking up by Sat. Pretty pumped!

buymore
April 7, 2009, 09:21 PM
If you go with a 12 gauge pump gun, remember the recoil is going to pound you quite a bit more than a 20 gauge or a 12 guage semi auto. It sure makes shooting alot more enjoyable with light recoil! If you start flinching from a sore shoulder, you'll miss more because your form will fall apart. They do make recoil reducing add-ons for pump guns. Mercury tubes that go in the magazine tube and they really do seem to work. They work well enough that when used in semi autos they cause them to not cycle correctly. I think they're called "poormans" or something like that?

I'd like to recommend an 1100 12 g also. I have an economical version of the 1100 that works great for me. Back in 1985-1986, Remington made a no frills, version of the 1100 called the Sportsman 12. It's an 1100 with plain wood and no engraving. It's not to be confused with all the other "Sportsman" versions they have made, it's a PLAIN JANE 1100 made at a lower price point for th HUNTER to drag around without worrying! I have bought two of them recently for under $300 each. The last one came off Auctionarms and it came out to $252 shipped and transferred. A friend is now the proud owner of that one and he has been shooting SKEET with it regularly. All the other guys are shooting high dollar guns and he's using a sub $300 shotgun and competing just fine. Like I said though, they mde UMPTEEN different versions of a "SPORTSMAN" in everything they make! Good luck.

RoscoeC
April 7, 2009, 11:28 PM
Congratulations! The 870 is a great shotgun that will last a lifetime. The more you shoot it the smoother it will get.

I have several 870's and for mitigating recoil for not a ton of money, I recommend a Limbsaver or Remington R3 recoil pad. I believe you can buy one for the 870 that is pre-fit, so all you have to do is unscrew the original and screw on the new one.

These are soft and cushy so the make the recoil much less noticeable.

olddrum1
April 9, 2009, 01:51 AM
870 is a good choice to start shooting trap with. When at you local gun dealer check the seriial number to see if they start with a T as in Ta, Tb or Tc. Thats their trap models. Best way to reduce recoil is to shorten the shot column in the shell. Go to one ounce loads. Helps a lot.