PDA

View Full Version : Dad's Shotgun

Evyl Robot
April 6, 2009, 12:32 PM
All,

As long as I can remember, my dad has had this old semi-auto shotgun that he got from his dad. My brother and I got it out yesterday to clean it up and see if we could dig up some information on it.

It is a Remington Model 11 with a fixed, full-choke, 30-inch barrel. The serial number is 285,XXX. About what age does that date the gun to, and does anybody have any experience with these guns? Thanks!

--Michael

old knife buddy
April 6, 2009, 12:39 PM
1905-1949 they made standard grade and special/tournament/ expert/premier grade

HunterJ
April 6, 2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/shotguns/model_11.asp Michael, hopefully this will be helpful.

impalacustom
April 7, 2009, 05:05 AM
That 12ga was made in the month of August 1923. Remington serial numbers were from 285,146-289,080 during the month of August.

I own one in 20ga and absolutely love it. Not sure how far you tore it down but if you take the barrel off you can get a flashlight and shine down behind the bolt and see if the original buffer is still intact. It was a fiber buffer and tends to collect oil and other gunk. I took mine completely apart and replaced mine with a 90A polyurethane buffer.

For me personally there isn't a better shotgun made than what JMB designed with the Auto 5 and the Remington 11 is modeled after it as well as the Savage 720.

On a side note, if you ever need parts go to gunbroker a lot of people are selling them but just be aware that the early model 11's have a square firing pin instead of the round. I think around 1935 they changed to the round, you can convert the square to round if you want too.

Shoot it and make memories.

Evyl Robot
April 7, 2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks everybody! This is all very helpful. I had actually wandered onto Remington's website, and guessed that it was probably made sometime in the twenties. Thanks, Impala for helping to pin that down!

--Michael

scorpion_tyr
April 7, 2009, 11:23 AM
If you shoot Remington an email with the serial number they can tell you exactly what year it was made.