View Full Version : Dad's Shotgun

Evyl Robot
April 6, 2009, 12:32 PM

As long as I can remember, my dad has had this old semi-auto shotgun that he got from his dad. My brother and I got it out yesterday to clean it up and see if we could dig up some information on it.

It is a Remington Model 11 with a fixed, full-choke, 30-inch barrel. The serial number is 285,XXX. About what age does that date the gun to, and does anybody have any experience with these guns? Thanks!

old knife buddy
April 6, 2009, 12:39 PM
1905-1949 they made standard grade and special/tournament/ expert/premier grade

April 6, 2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/shotguns/model_11.asp Michael, hopefully this will be helpful.

April 7, 2009, 05:05 AM
That 12ga was made in the month of August 1923. Remington serial numbers were from 285,146-289,080 during the month of August.

I own one in 20ga and absolutely love it. Not sure how far you tore it down but if you take the barrel off you can get a flashlight and shine down behind the bolt and see if the original buffer is still intact. It was a fiber buffer and tends to collect oil and other gunk. I took mine completely apart and replaced mine with a 90A polyurethane buffer.

For me personally there isn't a better shotgun made than what JMB designed with the Auto 5 and the Remington 11 is modeled after it as well as the Savage 720.

On a side note, if you ever need parts go to gunbroker a lot of people are selling them but just be aware that the early model 11's have a square firing pin instead of the round. I think around 1935 they changed to the round, you can convert the square to round if you want too.

Shoot it and make memories.

Evyl Robot
April 7, 2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks everybody! This is all very helpful. I had actually wandered onto Remington's website, and guessed that it was probably made sometime in the twenties. Thanks, Impala for helping to pin that down!

April 7, 2009, 11:23 AM
If you shoot Remington an email with the serial number they can tell you exactly what year it was made.