PDA

View Full Version : Hoppes #9 removes bluing?

Jofaba
April 6, 2009, 07:40 AM
Well, I seem to have made a pretty bad mistake. The slide of my Walther P22 was looking a little greenish, so I figured I'd soak it in Hopps #9 overnight. Obviously (to some of you I'm sure) that was a mistake. This morning I pulled it out and wiped it down and now what used to be black is now nearly white.

Even after the fact, I can't find much through google warning that Hopps #9 can completely remove bluing. I know that I can reblue it. And luckily there is a gunsmith at work that I plan on taking it to, as I trust his hand at it better than my own.

Is this common knowledge? Is it easy to repair?

Damage done, my biggest question is, once I've gotten it restored, should I completely keep Hopps away from anything that's been blued?

Bud Helms
April 6, 2009, 07:52 AM
I've never had any Hoppe's product attack gun blueing. I've not ever left it on a gun dripping and running, but I've got some on the outside of all my rifles and handguns because I don't even try to get them completely de-Hoppe'd. ;). But I do swab them with gun oil and wipe them down.

The first thing I thought of was some cold blueing, but I've never seen Hoppe's take that off either.

Jofaba
April 6, 2009, 07:56 AM
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1310/picture0021k.jpg

Dingoboyx
April 6, 2009, 07:58 AM
I've never seen a gun with a marble slide before :eek::D

Muzza

Bud Helms
April 6, 2009, 07:59 AM
So, the whole slide was stripped of blueing?

Are you sure that slide was "blued", not painted?

Jofaba
April 6, 2009, 08:06 AM
So, the whole slide was stripped of blueing?

Are you sure that slide was "blued", not painted?

No, I'm not. Before this morning I never really thought about what made it black. I checked the specs on Walther's website and it says "Blue", capitalized, and alone. It didn't look at all like the bluing on my sks, so I'm just going by that part of the spec list.

JWT
April 6, 2009, 08:11 AM
Not exactly sure what the finish on the slide is but, looking at mine, quite certain it's not blued.

Tom2
April 6, 2009, 08:15 AM
Normal Hoppes should not have any affect on blued guns. I don't know about if they make a special blend that is for dissolving copper fouling or something. If regular Hoppes ate blueing off of guns, it would have been an extinct gun care product long before you were born. Must not have been real blueing on that thing. IS that slide steel or some alloy?

Dingoboyx
April 6, 2009, 08:15 AM
It might be painted? Might be an idea for OP to email Walther and ask? Might be as simple as repainting it?

Bright red sounds nice :D

Muzza

Jofaba
April 6, 2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks, I'll email/call Walther today to find out what I can do. Going to check the manual offered by S&W online right now to see what it says about cleaning.

Thanks for all the quick responses!

Bud Helms
April 6, 2009, 08:27 AM
Hoppe's is making a copper fouling remover now, Hoppe's Elite. But I still don't think it will strip blueing. ;)

Tom2 is right on a couple of points ( ;) ), but the one that caught my attention is the suggestion the slide is an non-steel alloy ... got a magnet around?

Jofaba
April 6, 2009, 08:37 AM
Tom2 is right on a couple of points ( ), but the one that caught my attention is the suggestion the slide is an non-steel alloy ... got a magnet around?

Fridge magnet, does not stick.

ZEBRARANGER
April 6, 2009, 08:49 AM
Walthers uses the tenifer process on their slides, at least thats the process on my P99. After the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized finish is applied. Glock also uses this process.

Bud Helms
April 6, 2009, 08:52 AM
Jofabe: Fridge magnet, does not stick.

Then Tom2 was right. That isn't steel and that isn't blueing. Correction, wasn't blueing. :D

Bud Helms
April 6, 2009, 08:56 AM
You know, some people like the two tone. ;)

Dingoboyx
April 6, 2009, 08:56 AM
Maybe a good hard acrylic matt or satin black spray (can) paint from an auto shop might be the way to go?

2 tone yes Bud, but I dont think black annd marble is a real good look :barf::D

Muzza

Jofaba
April 6, 2009, 08:57 AM
Walthers uses the tenifer process on their slides, at least thats the process on my P99.

So, perhaps a bad application? Will definitely be calling them today.

Again, thanks all. Off to work!

Slopemeno
April 6, 2009, 09:02 AM
I think the slides on those are pot metal. IIRC didn't they have an issue with some breakage a couple of years ago on them?

Bottom line, you can't "blue" pot metal (you should see what happens when you put some in the tank!)- so it's almost certainly some other sort of finish.

Tom2
April 6, 2009, 12:26 PM
Pot metal? A Walther HI POINT!:p I would have hoped for at least an aluminum alloy, being Walther. A zinc alloy is like my Raven. Well you might have them if their owners manual does not give any warnings against solvents. It certainly is not parkerised if it is not steel. I think it would not be tenifer either, and neither are affected by solvents. Probably will be recoated with some sort of polymer like a CZ or such.

Jofaba
April 6, 2009, 05:25 PM
While I don't see much about it online, it seems like something they're used to. Here's how the conversation pretty much went:

"Hi, my name is (whatever), how can I help you?"
"Yeah, I've got a problem with a Walther. I soaked the slide of my P22 in Hoppes #9 and it stripped all the black off.
"Yeah, it's good for the bore but probably not that great for the slide. What's your name?"
"(Spelled my name)
"And what's your address?"
"(Gave him my address)"
"Okay, we'll get a box out to you within a couple of days"
"What are you going to do?"
"Send you a UPS box with a return label to send your slide back"
"No, I mean with the slide"
"Probably repaint it."
"Oh, ok.... thanks!"

I should have asked if it's going to cost anything but I assume no, or they would have mentioned it. So thats good news. I'm satisfied.

For a few seconds (I had just woken up) I was like damn, I just ruined a $350 gun. Once I gave it some thought (if it can come off, it can go back on) I realized that there was a fix out there.

Thanks to all the responses. Answer to the thread? No, but it can dissolve a paint job just fine.

jakeswensonmt
April 6, 2009, 08:34 PM
It looks kind of interesting like that. I don't think that the zinc alloy will rust - you might just leave it that way and call it a custom job!

Jofaba
April 6, 2009, 08:54 PM
it looks better in a low res pic than it does in real life. Hell, even in real life my gunsmith friend at work thought it looked pretty decent, but I think it looks equivalent to a muscle car with primer paint. I hate it. Luckily S&W looks to have a pretty damn decent customer service friendly fix. I can't wait to have it back to how it was. And I'll definitely find out the best lube to take care of it and keep on top of it to avoid this in the future.

B.N.Real
April 6, 2009, 09:55 PM
Those 22 LR Walthers get worse reports everyday.

What next?!!

Well,now you can repaint the slide any color you want.

Just keep the paint off the rails rubbing surfaces ( and obviously out of the gun itself).

JohnKSa
April 6, 2009, 10:00 PM
Go get some grill paint from Wal-Mart and follow the directions on the can.

protectedbyglock
April 6, 2009, 10:09 PM
LMFAO!
I don't know why this strikes me as so funny, but this is the funniest thread I've read in a while.
"Check it with a fridge magnet!"

Then the kicker is John with his:

Go get some grill paint from Wal-Mart and follow the directions on the can.

:D:D

Like it's totally normal.
"Yep.. had to paint my walther with some grill paint. Damn hoppes takes the finish right off 'em, ya know" LOL

I love this place. I think you all got to the bottom of this one! And we all learned something, too. Hoppes No. 9 and Walther P22s do not play well together. However, if you ever want to change slide color, by all means. The possibilities are endless!

Jofaba
April 7, 2009, 06:22 AM
Heh, yeah the whole thing is pretty comical, including all the responses. Helpful and funny at the same time, no one popped in (yet) to say how stupid I was, and maybe this will help someone avoid a similar problem in the future.

Moral of the story here? Know your guns and know your solvents.

And make sure they play nice together!

B.L.E.
April 7, 2009, 06:48 AM
Hoppes won't remove bluing but since real bluing is a form of iron oxide, a lot of chemical rust removers will remove bluing, I learned the hard way.

I once put a lot of Off mosquito repellent on my face with my hands and my shotgun started to feel sticky, that stuff was taking the finish right off of the black painted aluminum alloy and the varnish off the stock of the Ithaca M66 singleshot shotgun I was using.

protectedbyglock
April 7, 2009, 09:10 AM
I agree that it's pretty bad on the manufacturers part to paint a gun with anything that can be dissolved by hoppes. What were they thinking? At least it appears they are gonna take care of it (as they should).

Helpful and funny at the same time, no one popped in (yet) to say how stupid I was, and maybe this will help someone avoid a similar problem in the future.

You definately aren't the first and won't be the last. However, like you said, hopefully this thread will at least save one person from doing the same thing. That's what this place is all about. :)
(If I had a P22, I have a feeling I would have beat you to this one) :D

Dingoboyx
April 7, 2009, 12:32 PM
see if you can get it chromed? That would look pretty groovey, then you can say you did it on purpose.....and wont feel like a dummy :D

Rich Miranda
April 7, 2009, 01:16 PM
jofaba, I'm the least qualified to provide any real answers, but I would not have left the gun in anything overnight. That is a very long time to be in contact with any chemical, I would think.

Housezealot
April 7, 2009, 01:27 PM
I do belive hoppes will ruin a nickel finish, as I recall, but I thought it was safe on everything else, that kind of worries me becuse I use a PLENTIFUL amount on all my guns, I have to admit I kinda like the smell:D

Jofaba
April 7, 2009, 05:49 PM
I'm still learning to do things right. This experience has made me determined to take the next leap in responsibility and start taking better care of my guns before I make an expensive unfixable mistake.

I'm going to make maintenance as important as safety, and find the same kind of enjoyment in it that I found in shotgun shell reloading.

JohnKSa
April 8, 2009, 01:50 AM
Like it's totally normal.
"Yep.. had to paint my walther with some grill paint. Damn hoppes takes the finish right off 'em, ya know" LOLWell, I can't say I've ever taken the finish off a gun with a gun solvent--but...

I have done some damage to a polymer frame using a product not designed for firearms. Fortunately it was easily fixed--didn't even need grill paint.

The grill paint comment came from two places. Seems folks were getting good results using grill paint for on the cheap finishes for parts kit guns over on Assault Web. The second is that I've been truly amazed at how well the paint on my grill has held up to years of exposure to TX sun and, of course, to the heat of grilling.

skeeter
April 8, 2009, 02:45 AM
I always heard that Hoppes #9 would remove nickle plating. It never removed the blueing on any of my weapons. I think was was not blued but some other type of finish?

protectedbyglock
April 8, 2009, 04:26 AM
I've heard of people using hi-temp paint on guns, too. Like the engine paint you can get at the auto parts stores. I've never used it on guns, but I have a couple cans pf it just waiting to be used on something. I used it to paint some grill parts, and a few other things. It sticks really well, and seems to be a lot tougher than most other paints. Seems like it would work well on guns. Maybe I'll do an experiment with my LCP? Looks like it's my turn to screw up a gun! :D
(Except, I'll do it to the point of no return)

Hellbilly5000
April 8, 2009, 06:01 AM
I like the idea about getting the slide chromed

Stevie-Ray
April 8, 2009, 05:59 PM
If someone hasn't already suggested it, just take a black sharpie and go over it again. Heck, you could even pin-stripe it.

Hellbilly5000
April 8, 2009, 06:40 PM
you could powder coat it any color you want and im sure you could get it done in a mossy oak colors where they dip it in the tank or does that only work on the plastics and polymers?

Jofaba
May 5, 2009, 08:11 PM
Whoops! Seems that I've forgotten to update this thread.

I got my slide back very quickly. S&W (inexplicably) snail-mailed me a 2nd day label, and 2nd day'd it back to me. I forget how long the whole thing took but I think it was like 2 weeks tops.

I can't remember, but from my low-res pictures it doesn't seem like my original slide had white painted text on it. It looks very good.

So moral of the story, S&W customer service rocks! Even if you do something stupid to your own gun! And it's free!

Bud Helms
May 5, 2009, 09:08 PM
Good deal!

AZAK
May 7, 2009, 04:22 AM
And we all learned something, too. Hoppes No. 9 and Walther P22s do not play well together. However, if you ever want to change slide color, by all means. The possibilities are endless!

This could be a great marketing strategy! They have watches that come with different colored bands, now with just some No. 9 and a few cans of different paint you can accessorize a pistol to match your shoes, or whatever! Heck, why not water colors or finger paint!

It's like having an etch-a-sketch pistol!

Jofaba
May 7, 2009, 06:38 AM
Perhaps, for the sake of helping future members, a mod should change the title of this thread to accurately reflect the problem? Something like

Hoppes #9 strips Walther P22 Slide Paintjob

CortJestir
May 7, 2009, 09:29 AM
Perhaps, for the sake of helping future members, a mod should change the title of this thread to accurately reflect the problem? Something like

Not many people know this but you can edit the Title of your original post yourself. Hit Edit on your original post and click the "Go Advanced" button. You should be able to edit the Title field. ;)

Willie D
May 7, 2009, 10:04 AM
Hoppe's is making a copper fouling remover now, Hoppe's Elite.

Hoppe's Benchrest is their copper fouling removal mixture. It's definitely smells worse than #9. The Hoppe's Elite I've used is a CLP type product although maybe they have more than one product under the "Elite" name.

Tom Servo
May 7, 2009, 12:08 PM
I always heard that Hoppes #9 would remove nickle plating.
It can. "Nickel" used on guns usually consists of some amount of copper, and Hoppe's is designed to attack copper. Modern electroless finishes seem to hold up OK to it, but I wouldn't risk it. I've never had a problem using it with bluing, though.

However, as was pointed out, the P22 isn't blued. Very few pistols actually are these days. Traditional bluing is expensive and time-consuming, and it does not hold up as well as Tenifer, Nitron, Melonite, etc.

In any case, I had to deal with S&W's customer service a few years ago, and was very impressed. Nice to know they're keeping up the good work.

brickeyee
May 7, 2009, 12:20 PM
It can. "Nickel" used on guns usually consists of some amount of copper, and Hoppe's is designed to attack copper.

The older nickel plating process put a layer of copper down first, then nickel on the copper.

The nickel was often relatively porous.

Hoppe's would work through defects in the nickel plating and attack the underlying copper plating.

Housezealot
May 7, 2009, 12:59 PM
but I think it's really chintzy for Smith and Wesson (these are made by Smith, right?)
I think S&W is just the American distributer for walther, but I could be wrong.

Dood_22
May 7, 2009, 02:04 PM
Did we ever figure out what the slide is really made of?

If it is AL, I would consider having it anodized.

Bud Helms
May 7, 2009, 03:07 PM
Willie D: Hoppe's Benchrest is their copper fouling removal mixture.

I think you're right. I was looking at some Elite Copper Terminator. That's not the same.

Jofaba
May 7, 2009, 05:31 PM
Not many people know this but you can edit the Title of your original post yourself. Hit Edit on your original post and click the "Go Advanced" button. You should be able to edit the Title field.

That option must disappear over time because there is no edit button. Thanks for the tip though!

Capt_Vin
May 12, 2009, 03:29 AM
Hell, I use it as after-shave, LOL! Hope it ain't toxic.