PDA

View Full Version : Stoeger SxS mis-fires

RG Stewart
April 6, 2009, 07:31 AM
First day out with new Stoeger SxS single trigger, two barrel 12/20 combo. After approx. 12 rounds, the right side firing pin (first pull) began to only dimple the primer in about 80% of attempted subsequent shots.
Any suggestions?

oneounceload
April 6, 2009, 08:11 AM
There are several possibilities, including a broken spring or just gunk built up behind the breech. Since it is brand new, I would take it back and see if they will give you another

zippy13
April 6, 2009, 11:51 AM
Oneounceload is correct, since it's a new gun, you don't want to muck about too much and possibility void the warranty. But, if you have access to compressed air, you might give the firing pin hole a few blasts to see if you can dislodge any junk that might be impeding the firing pin's travel.

old knife buddy
April 6, 2009, 12:29 PM
had these problems sent it back twice come back same way [just make sure u are shuting it hard enough to engage the firing pins] i had to take the firing pins out and sand them the where machined so rough they would catch. probly the right barrel wright

BigJimP
April 6, 2009, 01:30 PM
On a new gun / talk to the retailer you bought it from first - see if they'll exchange it for another gun.

If they won't take it back for a refund / or give you another gun ( and they might just want to send it back for warranty work - which could take weeks ). If the only option they will give you is to send it in for warranty - then I would recommend you consider taking the stock off the gun first / ( remove the recoil pad / loosen the stock bolt inside the stock ) and remove it carefully. That way you can clean out the action / blow it out with some compressed air. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot of preservative inside the firing pin action. Clean it / spray it lightly with some Rig Oil - put it back together.

If that fixes it - you're in good shape. If it doesn't fix it - then you'll just have to deal with the warranty department.

OLNfan
April 6, 2009, 01:59 PM
Thats upsetting to hear Iv never owned a stoeger but have always wanted one. I suggest taking it back to the retalier you bought. Other than that exactly what these folks said cleaner real good, take it apart if that doesnt work gun smith or retailer!

old knife buddy
April 6, 2009, 02:04 PM
if you take it back to the dealer there just going to send it back. they will not exchange it then they will have to sell yours as used just so u no

RG Stewart
April 7, 2009, 08:49 AM
Tnanks for the insight ,guys.
I've never had to deal with this kind of thing before, and it really dampened my enthusiasm about this firearm. Enjoyed shooting it while it was working, though. Hate to take it afield with the nagging thought that it may not perform, but I won't sell or trade it unless it's right. Time and effort will bring the fix.

zippy13
April 7, 2009, 12:40 PM
I've never had to deal with this kind of thing before, and it really dampened my enthusiasm about this firearm.
Talk about dampened enthusiasm: I bought a brand new Corvette that wouldn't go over 50mph! (Factory error: crimped fuel line -- simple fix)
Fear not, memories of this initial hassle shall pass and you'll have many years of service from this gun. Of all the things than can go wrong with a shotgun, short firing pin travel may be one of the easiest to fix. On lower cost guns, it's not uncommon for the firing pin shoulders to exhibit tool marks that will accumulate gunk. You may wish to spin-up the pins to dress their shoulders.