PDA

View Full Version : 12 ga. 1oz reloads

gckoury
April 5, 2009, 11:07 PM
I'v been reloading 12 ga. 1 1/8oz with clays, win.209 and waa12 in win AA with 71/2 shot. I,m looking for a 1oz load that I can us the same primer,wad and shells as I have alot of each. I'm trying to lighten the load for a o/u browning, my cheek bone is getting a little sore, thanks

olddrum1
April 6, 2009, 12:31 AM
http://hodgdon.com/#

This is a pretty good reloading site with a lot of info on several different component companies. Reducing the shot column in your shell and finding a little slower powder such as International clays on your next purchase should help.
Try pulling you shotgun into your sholder a little tighter using the forearm to do this. It keeps the shotgun from rising quite so much. Usally the cause of a sore cheek is that your dressing down from winter and not wearing as many layers thus the weak grip.

Just a question but how fast and what distance are you shooting? Trap? Skeet? Sporting Clays? Hunting?

zippy13
April 6, 2009, 02:08 AM
Greetings, gckoury, and welcome aboard

Olddrum speaks the truth.
One ounce loads use a different wad than 1 1/8 oz loads.

An old trick that may give you some relief is to use a liberal application of a talc stick (electric razor pre-shave) on your cheek while shooting.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51J7V2X944L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

oneounceload
April 6, 2009, 08:24 AM
you didn't mention what powder charge you're using. When I loaded that exact list of components, I was using 17.3 of Clays for a nice soft-shooting 2-3/4 DE load that could be shot all day

gckoury
April 6, 2009, 12:17 PM
I'm just shooting out of a trap house on my own, I very the distance, as I'm trying to find which choke is best, I hope to get in to a sporting clay league. last year I was shooting a gold hunter auto with out the cheek problem. I'm loading at 18.2 gr.

BigJimP
April 6, 2009, 12:36 PM
In the Hodgdon book - you can drop that load clear to 16.1 grains of Clays - at 1090 fps ( which is really soft ).

For 1 oz - change the wad to WAA12SL - and powder charges vary from 16.0 grains at 1125 fps / to 19.8grains at 1290 fps.

Personally, I like my general Trap loads at about 1225 fps in 1 oz ( and I use 8's ) - so my powder drop is about 18.3 grains.

Your sore cheek problem - may be more fit than anything - you might try a stick on comb pad to raise that comb a little / get it so as it recoils it travels under your cheek-bone vs back into the cheek-bone. Its a common problem on guns with a lot of drop at the comb and/or heel.