PDA

View Full Version : 870 Express magnum is sticking agian

Wallabing
April 3, 2009, 04:50 PM
I took my 870 to an indoor range today and I've run into this problem agian. Sometimes after firing a round, the action wont move back, it feels as if it were stuck. Only after placing the butt of the shotgun agianst my hips and using both my hands to pull back on the forend, the round will finally bulge and eject loose after some elbow grease.

I was using Remington Sureshot heavy dove rounds with low brass heads.

This happened about 2 times when I was at the range. I've heard polishing the chamber will cure this problem, how would I go about this project?

rantingredneck
April 3, 2009, 04:56 PM
Cleaning rod and 12 ga brush.
Power drill.
Fine steel wool.

Wrap steel wool lightly around the 12 ga brush. Put the cleaning rod with brush in your drill and polish the chamber.

Wallabing
April 3, 2009, 05:39 PM
Which steel wool type should I use?

Whats the worst that can happen if I polished it wrong?

rantingredneck
April 3, 2009, 06:16 PM
0000 steel wool.

If you go overboard you'll put unnecessary wear on your barrel/chamber.

Brad Clodfelter
April 6, 2009, 09:52 PM
Nevermind.

I misread the post.

MAX100
April 6, 2009, 10:57 PM
Whats the worst that can happen if I polished it wrong?

I don't believe you will over do it with steel wool. If you used sandpaper or the wrong hone it could happen. You can also put polishing compound on the steel wool

Polish for a few mins and test it out. It may need to be polished several times beofre the problem goes away. You have a chamber - forcing cone - bore. I would only polish the forcing cone once. If you polish a second or third time I would stay out of the cone.

GC

Homerboy
April 7, 2009, 05:18 AM
I polished my 870 Express this weekend just for the hell of it after reading some of the posts. I wrapped 0000 steel wool around the brush and went at it. Don't really see much of a difference. The wool started flying off once the drill started spinning, and I had to remove the trigger group to blow out the bits of wool that were caught up in it (next time I would take that out, stupid mistake). The chamber always seemed smooth in the gun and I don't see much difference now. I've only had one mishap with the gun (only shot it maybe 30-4- times). I attribute it to shortstroking, though. I'm gonna blast it some more this week and see if I get the malfunctions that others are talkling about. I can only shoot slugs where I shoot, so I can't test it with buckshot that I would normaly use for HD.

RoscoeC
April 7, 2009, 06:05 AM
The chamber always seemed smooth in the gun and I don't see much difference now.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

rantingredneck
April 7, 2009, 07:16 AM
and I had to remove the trigger group to blow out the bits of wool that were caught up in it (next time I would take that out, stupid mistake).

Next time take the barrel completely off the receiver.

And again if it ain't broke..............

Dustin0
April 7, 2009, 08:23 AM
Wallabing I have the same problems out of mine with the remington game loads, But the gun club and Nitros never stick. I have found that the 870s really dont like those loads for some reason.

MAX100
April 7, 2009, 11:53 AM
I have the same problems out of mine with the Remington game loads, But the gun club and Nitros never stick. I have found that the 870s really don't like those loads for some reason.

I have to pick and choose shells my 870 likes. Years ago that is something you wouldn't have had to do with an 870.

GC

MagnumWill
April 7, 2009, 12:46 PM
I ran into this problem with my 590 when I put 3" magnum shells in it. It's only done it to me twice out of about 20 3-inchers i've put through it. Still havent resolved it...

Homerboy
April 7, 2009, 04:56 PM
Next time take the barrel completely off the receiver.

And again if it ain't broke..............

Oh, I did. I took the gun completely apart, even the forearm and oiled it all up. The receiver was just the receiver and the trigger group, which i took out after the polishing. I'm gonna shoot some next week with it to see if it gives me any problems. I just wish the range near me let me shoot something other than slugs. I would like to shoot some buckshot to see if it gives any issues. I have never fired anything other than slugs through thid gun.

rantingredneck
April 7, 2009, 07:06 PM
But how did you get steel wool in the trigger group from polishing the chamber (in the barrel) when it was off of the reciever? :confused:

You didn't polish the receiver did you???

Homerboy
April 7, 2009, 07:34 PM
Oh man. I polished inside where the shells get ejected. Didn't seem to do anything. You're saying the chamber is part of the barrel? My shotgun knowledge is limited. Most of my shooting knowledge is pistols and AR's.

rantingredneck
April 7, 2009, 08:31 PM
I kinda thought that might be what happened. :D.

Yes, the chamber is the first few (roughly 3) inches of your barrel.

Homerboy
April 7, 2009, 08:38 PM
Did I screw something up?

rantingredneck
April 7, 2009, 08:42 PM
Not likely.

hogdogs
April 7, 2009, 09:52 PM
What is the grit of "flitz"? I bought all the clearance sale "barrel swabs" from walmart. I intend to use some as polish pads in the future.
Brent

peetee32
April 8, 2009, 09:32 AM
Oh man. I polished inside where the shells get ejected. Didn't seem to do anything.

LOL...i can totally see that brush spinning and bouncing all around inside the reciever spraying oil and bits of steel wool everywhere!

i recently bought an 870 with two barrels, a used but in good condition 20in smooth barrel and a lightly used ribbed 26in.

first time i took it out, the 26in would fail to eject on about every other shell. this was using different types of ammo. so i put it away and took out the 18in barrel...not a single fail to eject.

on a recent shooting trip i took the two barrels again with several brands of ammo with the intention of testing, polishing and retesting the 26in barrel...turns out i forgot my drill. so i ended up just running all types of ammo through both barrels...

the 26in would fail to eject on about 2 or 3 of the shells in every mag. this is with winchester, federal, remington ammo of all types, 7, 8, 9, buck and slugs. no rhyme or reason as to what stuck and what didn't

not a single problem with the 20in barrel.

im seriously considering contacting remington and mailing them my barrel to make it right. what would it cost me? $20 in shipping? i'd rather have a barrel that works then one i have doubts with.

Homerboy
April 8, 2009, 06:06 PM
You ain't kidding. I ran it dry, so no oil, but the wool was flying. I had to take the trigger group out (which I should have done before) and really clean it out. Only plus to this is I learned a lot. I have never taken the gun down that far.

rantingredneck
April 8, 2009, 06:09 PM
im seriously considering contacting remington and mailing them my barrel to make it right. what would it cost me? $20 in shipping? i'd rather have a barrel that works then one i have doubts with.

I had an 11-87 rifle sight barrel that the rear sight base was soldered on at a canted angle. They sent me a UPS tag to ship it back to them for repair.

In that case I had purchased the barrel new from budsgunshop.com and they asked that I include a copy of the receipt.

You may be out the shipping cost to send it to them (probably 10-15 bucks each way).

The drill trick should work though.

xm21
April 10, 2009, 03:59 AM
Flex Hone chamber polisher 33 dollars plus 11 dollars for the oil from Midway USA and you will not have any more extraction woes.