PDA

View Full Version : Which shotgun hunting combo should I go with?

ach224
April 2, 2009, 10:29 PM
I have a NEF Pardner single shot that I am considering sending into NEF to have a rifled barrel and scope mount fitted on it. I have the option of either a 12ga barrel or a 20ga barrel. Obviously I would be shooting Sabot slugs through it. I was wondering which gauge to go with and the pros and cons of each.

Thanks!

Kendo
April 2, 2009, 10:35 PM
Always go with the 12 man!!!:D You dont have to send that in though,theres only one screw in the forgrip that you take out then forgrip and barrel come right off. You can buy or order the barrel pre drilled for mounts in the rifled slug version.

ach224
April 2, 2009, 10:44 PM
I will look into that. I know how to completely take the gun apart and so forth, but the H&R website made it sound like it had to be send in to be "custom fitted" and test fired. I ordered a catalogue to take a look at all of my options.

zippy13
April 2, 2009, 11:27 PM
Unlike the interchangeability of many pumps and auto-loaders barrels, hinge guns (SS, SxS, O/U) typically like to have their barrels individually fitted for a proper job.

Kendo
April 3, 2009, 05:07 PM
Huh? Well I bought one a few years back,then turned around 6 months later and ordered a rifled slug barrel for it. The guy at academy called me when it came in, I picked it up, hooked it up, it shoots great. Well like they say ignorance is bliss I guess. Ya should probably check out what zippy said , maybe I just got lucky.

zippy13
April 3, 2009, 05:38 PM
You can often get a different barrel to operate in a hinge gun, but it may be a Goldilocks affair: too loose, too tight, or just right. The hinge pin fit may be great, but the lock only partially engaged, or ejection/cocking issues. There are several variables to a proper barrel fit. If you don't know how to be sure all is okay, then you may wish to have a pro on board.