PDA

View Full Version : Would this be legal???

ibe4buckshot
March 30, 2009, 10:17 PM
Just so you know I live in Texas.

Walmart sells cheap single shot shotguns in .410 ga. I want to buy one and cut the barrel down to legal 18 inches. I also want to put a pistol grip on it or simply cut the stock down. Would this be legal???

Note. Im not a big fan of buying cheap stuff like those single shots they sell at walmart. None the less I think it would be a good way to make a nice cheap snake gun.

hogdogs
March 30, 2009, 10:22 PM
Yes it is legal... No they ain't "cheap" just affordable. NEF is a fine weapon. Go 18.5 inch min just to be safe in case an officer has a stingy tape measure;)
Brent

JohnKSa
March 30, 2009, 10:40 PM
Be careful! Besides the barrel length minimum, there's also an overall length minimum.

A shotgun can't be shorter than 26" overall.

OLNfan
March 30, 2009, 10:46 PM
I agree with Brent. NEF is a great brand at an affordable price, king of the single shot firearms I always say. I hate to see some one doing that to NEF though lol but good luck and enjoy. And lets see a pic of the after math!

ibe4buckshot
March 31, 2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys:D

Old Wanderer
March 31, 2009, 11:34 AM
Like the above posters have stated, be careful with the barell lenghth, and overall length...

Remember Randy Weaver, and Ruby Ridge...his problems started by cutting a barrell a little too short.

scorpion_tyr
March 31, 2009, 04:33 PM
I say go for it. Just make sure you've got 18.5" or more of barrel, and 26" or more of shotgun. Oh, and the most important thing to remember: pictures! Even if it doesn't turn out cool at all, we (well, at least, I) want to see pictures :D

dalecooper51
March 31, 2009, 05:03 PM
The receiver is very short on the NEF guns. With a pistol grip you will need roughly a 22" barrel. It might be easier to get one of the youth guns that come with a 22" barrel and swap the stock. This way you would keep the choke also.

ibe4buckshot
April 1, 2009, 02:47 PM
Hey just got paid! Gonna go buy my shotgun!:D:D:D:D:D

srt 10 jimbo
April 1, 2009, 06:00 PM
Was thinking about doing that with an old H&R Topper I have.:)

wyobohunter
April 1, 2009, 11:18 PM
1: Purchase shotgun (the NEF/H&R is a good gun for a great price)
2: Affix the stock of your choice
3: Cut stock to desired length (probably not necessary)
4: Measure from the recoil pad to 27" (just to be safe) and mark the bbl
5: Measure bbl from breach to 18.5" forward (just to be safe) and mark
6: Cut bbl off at longest overall length
7: finish the bbl at muzzle
8: Go kill some snakes

This should give you a nice handy little gun with some legal wiggle room for that "stingy tape measure" if the 26" O.A.L is correct; I got that # from a previous poster: check with your local law enforcement just to be safe.

srt 10 jimbo
April 6, 2009, 10:12 PM
Go to FTF Industries , they have a bunch of stuff for the Nef/topper H&R. Tactical, looks pretty neat.:)

OLNfan
April 7, 2009, 12:58 AM
its been 3 days ibet4buckshot lets see your beauty!!

srt 10 jimbo
April 13, 2009, 09:19 PM
Should be getting my stuff in the mail anyday now