PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 590 Questions

Jonathan12
March 30, 2009, 10:07 PM
Ok, I'm considering going for a 590 over the 500 "breacher" so I can have both a PGO and a full size, to swap out as my needs warrent. But I have a couple questions:

First, I want to be able to get a set of TacStar rear and front pistol grips in addition to the full stock. I know they warn you that some of the newer Mossbergs (specifically those without a forend nut) will not fit the TacStar foregrip. I'm assuming they will fit the regular 590 but not the 590A1, am I correct? Or will they fit both, and it's just certain 500's that have a different setup?

Second, I have heard the main difference between the 590 and the 590A1 is the heavier barrel, which makes it difficult to fit heat shields unless they are specifically designed for it. Anything else I should be aware of that could influence my decision?

Third, which bayonets will fit the 590? I've heard that the M7, M9, and M10 all fit.

-Jonathan

MAX100
March 31, 2009, 06:27 AM
Save your money and stay with the standard stock on the 590 or get one that has a shorter length of pull. Pistol grip only shotguns have very limited use and they are fun to shoot either.

The safety on a 590 is hard to reach with a pistol grip only or pistol grip stock.

Keep it in the simple range: Standard stock with shorter LOP, maybe receiver shell carrier, oversize Vang Safety, Mossberg HS if you like them, 2 point sling, flashlight and mount Tritium bead or Ghost Ring sights. I like flashlights that can be removed fast and easy because I don't want them on my shotgun all the time. Keep in mind that every accessory you add to a shotgun just increase the weight, makes operation more complicated and will slow you down. If you decide to Tact one out I would also suggest that you have a plain and simple shotgun for serious use.

GC

colostomyclown
March 31, 2009, 12:27 PM
agreed with max!

Jonathan12
March 31, 2009, 02:13 PM
Ok, I am fully aware of the opinions on PGO shotguns, which is why I'm planning on getting a shotgun with a full stock so I can swap it out and have both on hand. Of course, truth be told, I hate Monte Carlo stocks and have never felt comfortable shooting with them, so I'll probably end up getting a full stock with a pistol grip or a thumbhold stock as well (I hate the looks of most thumbhole stocks, but to me they feel fine).

So thank you for the suggestions, but let me re-iterate the main bit of info I need before I buy something at the next (and for me, probably last) gunshow:

Which 590 models will fit the TacStar foregrip (it has to do with having a forend nut or not, I believe). The 590, 590A1, both? Are there any major differences between the 590 and 590A1 aside from the heavier barrel that I should be aware of?

-Jonathan

hogdogs
March 31, 2009, 02:19 PM
The variation, IIRC, is only in the length of the tube the fore end is fitted on. to verify this check out the Havlin sales site...
http://havlinsales.com/default.htm
Feel free to call them and ask questions... Mr.Havlin is VERY knowledgeable in all things mossberg pump!
Brent

D-E-T-O-X
March 31, 2009, 03:47 PM
the m7 bayo fits really nice. i have a 590 and a m7 if you want me to post a pic of it attached i will.