PDA

View Full Version : Broken bolt

ar15chase
March 30, 2009, 11:21 AM
I just got a new buttstock bolt for my JG higgins 12 guage, because the other one broke off in the gun. I purchased a broken bolt extractor and drill bit from the hardware store. As i was trying to get it out, the darn broken bolt extractor broke off in the middle of the bolt. I have already burned up several drill bits trying to re-drill, with no luck The metal from the extractor is to hard. Any suggestions on what to do next?

hogdogs
March 30, 2009, 11:24 AM
Man, Them broken extractors are a bugger and I do not have a sure fire fix but you may try to find a spray that comes out cold but not a flammable like butane. Heat the receiver in the oven to 200 or so and then spray the broken bolt to shrink it... then use a LEFT handed drill bit as it may spin out the bolt... Best o' luck to ya!
Brent

Lee Lapin
March 30, 2009, 03:21 PM
Field strip the gun and soak the rear end of the receiver in a small container of penetrating oil, kerosene or the like, while you're waiting for the left-handed drill bit to arrive...

hth,

lpl

hogdogs
March 30, 2009, 03:25 PM
I will take lee a step further and suggest "PB Blaster" available at any auto parts house...
Brent

Old Guard Dog
March 30, 2009, 07:32 PM
Try all of the above, and as a last resort, if you can get at it, a really good TIG welder may be able to weld a bolt onto it to screw it out.

brian4161
March 30, 2009, 08:23 PM
You can use one of those keyboard dusters turned upside down for Hogdogs first idea.