PDA

View Full Version : Front sight on a sawed off barrel?

Sixer
March 30, 2009, 01:31 AM
Hey guys, I recently bought a shotgun with a sawed off barrel. It's approx. 20 inches and will be mainly a HD gun. I'll probably end up buying another barrel for skeet or hunting... but for now I would at least like some kind of sights on my shotgun. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Invalid Zero
March 30, 2009, 01:48 AM
Duct tape + lazer pointer = win.

Slopemeno
March 30, 2009, 01:54 AM
OR you swing by the gunsmith and have him install a new bead.

Sixer
March 30, 2009, 02:08 AM
Both good options :D Honestly, I'm leaning towards the duct tape and laser...

rem870hunter
March 30, 2009, 03:19 AM
Duct tape + lazer pointer = win.

nice, i think i'm gonna try that myself. anyways get to a gunsmith and have them install a bead on the barrel.

wnycollector
March 30, 2009, 06:18 AM
This will work fine for you. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=420481

I have one on my maverick 88...but mine has a bead for a small notch to slide into. I dont think the notch helps much to keep the sight on, it just allows you to line things up.

jmr40
March 30, 2009, 08:49 AM
If it has a vent rib use one of the fiberoptic sights that clamp on the rib. Better than new.

oneounceload
March 30, 2009, 06:03 PM
POINT the gun and you don't need anything at all

scorpion_tyr
March 30, 2009, 06:15 PM
If it has a smooth barrel follow wnycollector's advice. I have one on one of my 12 gauges. Works great. Since you don't have a bead, be very careful when you line it up. It may move so check it often.

If it has a rib, follow jmr40's advise. I also have a set of turkey sights on my ribbed 870 barrel. They work great and I like the fact that they're set up just like my 3 dot handgun sights.

You can always take it to a gunsmith and have him install a bead or some other sight.

colostomyclown
March 30, 2009, 07:11 PM
Sights are for aiming. Shotguns are for pointing. Beads assist best in pointing imo. Get a nice bead fitted properly.

Old Guard Dog
March 30, 2009, 07:27 PM
HiViz makes fiberoptic type sights that clamp on a vented rib or one that just snaps around a plain barrel. Not expensive, and great for HD guns. They are easy to see in low light conditions. If it is darker than you can see these sights, you shouldn't be shooting.

Check them out on the net. If you can't find a dealer near you, drop me a line. I have them in stock.

publius
March 30, 2009, 09:21 PM
I would get the biggest white bead I could find and drill&tap and install.

Wallabing
April 1, 2009, 04:08 AM
If you have $300 to blow, you could have a gunsmith install Trak-lock II ghost sights.

marine0341
April 2, 2009, 12:34 AM
for a HD shotgun don't worry about the front sight since it's a beater just keep as is and have a drawer full of slugs, 4shot,. If your going to go to a gunsmith then do it with your nicer skeet gun later on.

By the way I have always liked Shotguns for HD but the only draw back is if the intruder has somone at gun point(like your wife or kids) then the shotgun is usless. I have a dual setup SHOTTY under my bed and glock under my pillow.

Get Some!

dakotashooter2
April 2, 2009, 12:33 PM
I have had that Hi Vis clip on sight fly off on several occasions. Especially on the short barrels and heavy loads. I know I have seen a sight that clamps over a ribless barrel (barrel ring with a post/blade on top) but I'm not sure if it is still made or who makes it.

Sixer
April 3, 2009, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm gonna leave it alone for now. After my first trip to the range with it, I realized that I probably don't need a front sight for this one. Just point and click!

I did come across a heat shield that has built in front and rear sights. I though it looked like a good option if I change my mind... Right now I'm just going to save up a little $$$ and keep an eye out for a longer barrel WITH sights for skeet, etc. Thanks again!