PDA

View Full Version : Shot size comparison

scorpion_tyr
March 28, 2009, 08:52 PM
I'm a hands on learner, and I got curious tonight so I tore apart some shells to see for myself what was in each one and compare them. I figured I would share a little snapshot with anyone else on here who might be curious as well.

All were 12 gauge 2 3/4" shells.

Left to Right:

7 1/2---4BK---1BK---0BK---00BK---000BK---Slug

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44686&stc=1&d=1238291406

Waterengineer
March 28, 2009, 09:07 PM
I find it interesting that anyone would have that selection of shells laying around the house. Can you write about that?

scorpion_tyr
March 28, 2009, 09:18 PM
Yes, I can. :D I bought a used 870 to make into a HD gun. A previous owner had cut the barrel down. I have a lot of different shells so next time I get a chance to go shoot I can see what kind of patterns I get from each. And I'm just now getting into shotguns so I bought a few boxes of everything to experiment around with.

Waterengineer
March 28, 2009, 09:20 PM
OK, that make sense. I was thinking hunting not HD.

I couldn't figure out why someone would have all those buck shots and live in TX, which, obviously, is not one of the states where you have to hunt deet with a shotgun.

Be good, be safe.

oneounceload
March 28, 2009, 09:40 PM
When you say the previous owner cut it down.....do you mean to approx 18 inches, without a choke?

hogdogs
March 28, 2009, 09:52 PM
GEEZ, You had to cut them apart to collect the shot?
I just have my wife shoot at me and catch the pellets as they approach:D:rolleyes::cool:
DISCLAIMER I was jist kiddin' and don't suggest that technique for collecting pellets...
Brent

scorpion_tyr
March 28, 2009, 11:09 PM
When you say the previous owner cut it down.....do you mean to approx 18 inches, without a choke?

Yes. 18.75" to be exact. It looked like they just took a hacksaw to it. I had my gunsmith smooth and even it out though. The good news for me is that I have a short barrel with a rib so I was able to attach the sights I wanted and I have the option of firing 3.5" shells out of it if I want. It's a Super Magnum, and I have no intention of shooting 3.5"ers, but I kind of like the option.

Hogdogs: You never fail to put a smile on my face. :D I'm afraid to try that with my wife. She doesn't like the shotgun, she likes her .45 :D

colostomyclown
March 28, 2009, 11:17 PM
Interesting thread. Good job.

kno3mike
March 28, 2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the post...good info...I never see any 1bk for sale around here....now with the price of ammo you better put them back together....:D

feralBoy
March 28, 2009, 11:48 PM
That's a pretty cool pic. The first thing I thought about when I saw it, was which would I like to get hit with the least. I've heard 1bk is best for HD, but that 000bk looks NASTY.

OLNfan
March 29, 2009, 12:19 AM
thank you very much! Iv always wanted to do this but never had the time. thanks again! (who am I kidding I didnt have the time, Im just a cheap skate and didnt want to end up losing 1 type of shell from the pack of slugs, buck, etc! hah)

zippy13
March 29, 2009, 01:28 AM
GEEZ, You had to cut them apart to collect the shot?
I just have my wife shoot at me and catch the pellets as they approach
Hey Brent, are you gonna post a youtube where you catch a slug between your teeth? ;):D
Cheers,
Pete

.45 COLT
March 29, 2009, 10:16 PM
Scorpion - would you measure the diameter of the 00? Remington is the only brand of 00 that I haven't been able to get hold of. Also, was the 00 in a cup or not, and how was it layered - 2s or 3s? Thanks.

DC

ibe4buckshot
March 29, 2009, 10:16 PM
Nice!:)

scorpion_tyr
March 29, 2009, 11:28 PM
.45 COLT,

I would love to measure it, but unfortunately I don't even have a ruler handy. I plan on getting a micormeter and some other little gadgets so I can make more precise comparisons. I'll remember the info you asked for and I plan on making a more "professional" looking display in which I'll post it. Thanks for the suggestions.

.45 COLT
March 30, 2009, 06:43 AM
The reason I ask is that most factory loads of 00 Buck aren't really 00 Buck. They measure .315" to .317", smaller than 0 Buck. I'm reasonably sure that Remington does the same thing, just want to know for sure. The reason they do that is 00 Buck (.330") can't be layered in 3s inside a shot cup (in a 12 Gauge), but who would buy a load sold as "Not Quite 0 Buck"?:D

DC

scorpion_tyr
March 30, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hmmm... well I can tell you that the 00 BK I opened up is indeed bigger than the 0 BK. Not by much, but all the shots I opened up got bigger as I expected.

Mike Irwin
March 30, 2009, 12:12 PM
The nominal diameter for 00 buckshot is .33.

.45 COLT
March 30, 2009, 08:02 PM
Yes, but 00 Buck (.33") will not layer in 3s inside a shotcup. Some manufacturers have played loosely with their sizes when loading so-called "00 Buckshot". Federal and Winchester both do this. My question is whether Remington does the same.

DC

dalecooper51
March 30, 2009, 08:24 PM
I have a couple cases of the Remington Express 9 pellet 00 Buck on hand and thought i would cut a shell open and do some measuring. They are layered 2 per layer with buffer material. Granted it's only one shell and doesnt make a test, but I'm not cutting any more open.

The pellets measure:

Mike Irwin
March 30, 2009, 08:45 PM
Years ago I read somewhere, maybe American Rifleman, a statement that said that as shot sizes become larger, nominal diameter deviation tends to become greater.

True or not, I don't know.

Kendo
March 30, 2009, 09:11 PM
Not to be a know it all but dont shoot any slugs in a 3 1/2 inch gun. I dont know what it will do but I've got two of them and both say not to on the very front of the manual. You may already know this, but I saw the slug in the picture and saw that you mentioned the gun would shoot 3 1/2" shells.

hogdogs
March 30, 2009, 09:13 PM
Kendo, The NO SLUGS ALLOWED is for "overbored" barrels and not all are. If it is overbored it should have a no slug warning roll stamped on it.
Brent

Kendo
March 30, 2009, 09:25 PM
You are probably right cause I believe both of mine are overbored Mossberg 835 ulti and a singleshot H&R. I wonder what the overboring has to do with it.

hogdogs
March 30, 2009, 09:27 PM
Overbore reduces recoil for one thing but a rifled slug can wobble and jam up causing a very bad experience...
Picture elmer fudd's face when bugs bunny stuck his finger in the barrel....:D
Brent

Kendo
March 30, 2009, 09:34 PM
Well by god I learned somethin tonight. Two things actually, I also thought all 3 1/2 inch were overbored. I just assumed that was part of being a 3 1/2" mag.

.45 COLT
March 31, 2009, 09:47 PM
Posted By dalecooper51:I have a couple cases of the Remington Express 9 pellet 00 Buck on hand and thought i would cut a shell open and do some measuring. They are layered 2 per layer with buffer material. Granted it's only one shell and doesnt make a test, but I'm not cutting any more open.

The pellets measure:

Thank you. That's what I would expect (except for the .315" pellet) for loads stacked two to a layer. Three to a layer true 00 Buck can't be in a shotcup - inside diameter isn't large enough. (Fiocchi loads some without a shotcup).

Just an aside about what I've found with 00. Stacked 3 to a layer, it generally shoots best from a Cylinder Bore of an IC. 2 to a layer likes more choke, Modified to IM.

DC

scorpion_tyr
April 1, 2009, 06:19 PM
Kendo, The NO SLUGS ALLOWED is for "overbored" barrels and not all are. If it is overbored it should have a no slug warning roll stamped on it.
Brent

Wow... thanks for the info. You learn something new everyday. I've never heard of the a barrel being overbored. It doesn't say anything about that or no slugs on my barrel, but I don't know if it's a Remington barrel or aftermarket or whatever. Is there another way I can make sure my barrel can safely handle rifled slugs?

Kendo
April 1, 2009, 06:31 PM
Look up your gun on their site. They'll have an owners manual online for you to print or just look at. If it cant shoot slugs it will say. At least both of mine did.

dalecooper51
April 1, 2009, 09:10 PM
Thank you. That's what I would expect (except for the .315" pellet) for loads stacked two to a layer. Three to a layer true 00 Buck can't be in a shotcup - inside diameter isn't large enough. (Fiocchi loads some without a shotcup).

Just an aside about what I've found with 00. Stacked 3 to a layer, it generally shoots best from a Cylinder Bore of an IC. 2 to a layer likes more choke, Modified to IM.

DC

No problem .45colt. I expect that the .315 pellet was an anomoly. The rest of them were pretty close to the .33 diameter. I bet that if I cut a few more open, they would be closer to expected diameter. I have a bunch of different shot here for reloading and can measure some more of if you are interested.

.45 COLT
April 1, 2009, 09:48 PM
I have a bunch of different shot here for reloading and can measure some more of if you are interested. No, thanks, the Factory 00 Buck was what I was interested in. Both Federal and Winchester 12 pellet loads of "00" Buck actually measure an average of .316". That way they can stack three to a layer in a shotcup. Fiocchi's 12 pellet loads are true 00 Buck, .330". They don't use a shotcup. I cut up a lot of shells - Winter gets REAL long here. :D Most of my shooting is handloads, but I'm interested in the internals of factory loads. It's surprising how often the factory shells aren't what they claim to be.

DC

Mike U.
April 1, 2009, 11:07 PM
Learning is one of my life's joys. I learned several things in this thread.
Thanks for starting it, scorpion_tyr! (Insert "Big Thumbs Up!" emoticon here).:D

scorpion_tyr
April 2, 2009, 08:15 PM
You guys are certainly welcome. I thank all of you for the compliments and the info that I learned. I hate going to school, but learning about firearms is always fun... maybe I'm in the wrong classes...:D