PDA

View Full Version : The real Duke Nukem 3D shotgun...anyone care to identify?

Jonathan12
March 27, 2009, 04:14 PM
I got this from a video clip off the 3D Realms website. Seems they used a real shotgun to base the game weapon on, and this was their reference. I'm no expert on shotguns, so I'm not confident in my ability to ID it. It does feature a TacStar foregrip, so it would have to be one of the compatible models and I'm certain it's not a Mossberg 500/590. So, Remington 870 or Winchester 1200/1300?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Jonathan16416/dukenukemshotgun.jpg

Duke Nukem 3D was certainly not the best game of all time, but I always liked the pop culture references, it had solid gameplay, and of course the shotgun. One of the more memorable computer game weapons...

*EDIT*
In case anyone was wondering, it is held left handed in the shots above so that it could be "mirrored" in game. So in game it was shown fired right handed but the ejector was on the left side. Sadly a very common thing done in games, because apparently it "looks cool."

-Jonathan

troy_mclure
March 27, 2009, 04:17 PM

dalecooper51
March 27, 2009, 04:21 PM
It looks like a Winchester 1300 to me.

Wallabing
March 27, 2009, 04:23 PM
It's a Winchester 1300.

It has the rectangle breech bolt, and a single trigger group pin.

OLNfan
March 27, 2009, 04:24 PM
either way any pistol grip shotgun can look like it. heat shield, hand foregrip. then wa la.

Wallabing
March 27, 2009, 04:25 PM
It cant be a Mossberg 500, all mossbergs have the safety on the upper rear of the reciever, the shotgun in the pictures provided does not.

publius
March 27, 2009, 05:30 PM
Winchester, safety on front of triggerguard and the bolt has a flat side.

Jonathan12
March 27, 2009, 07:50 PM
Now I'm glad I asked. At first I used to think it was either a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 (the in-game graphics were too low-rez to tell). Then I found this source video and I saw it wasn't a Mossberg, and I wasn't entirely sure about the Remington.

I'm going to stick with a Mossberg 500 Breacher or Cruiser myself, but it's a cool bit of trivia to know about a classic game weapon.

-Jonathan

buckmeister
March 29, 2009, 09:31 PM
It lacks the Winchester V-cut receiver\stock union. Some Sears versions of the 1200/1300 had the straight receiver/stock junction, like the 870 and 500.

It has locking lugs...

buckmeister

Jonathan12
March 29, 2009, 10:43 PM
So, positive ID not as easy as I hoped? Makes me wish I could track down the developers and ask them what they used...would be interesting to find out where it came from and where it went. Could have lots of collector value, like guns that have been in movies.

-Jonathan

BillM
March 29, 2009, 10:50 PM
Rotating bolt with locking lugs. (bottom left pic)

Built by Winchester on the 1200 frame.

Sold by Sears. Do a google for Sears 200.

Slugthrower
April 1, 2009, 05:56 PM
Yep, That would be a Winchester 1300 or 1200. Basically the same gun. Never really thought about what gun it was. The LARD were everywhere at the time.

Shake it baby... You wana dance?:cool:

Jonathan12
April 1, 2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah, the LARD were quite a problem...but at least they were a source of shotgun ammo/body armor on occaision. But man they dished out some serious hurt, especially for an early-game enemy.

Seems we're certain it's a Winchester model now, if not one that can be easily identified. I think most people assumed it was a Remington back in the day (I had heard that long before I found these images and posted them).

-Jonathan

KLRANGL
April 1, 2009, 11:50 PM
Duke Nukem 3D was certainly not the best game of all time
WHAT!? I'd put it third best, right after Doom II and Doom I...
Course people like Dave Grossman think those games would make me a violent person, which is ironic because I dont even like to hunt...

Hopefully Duke Nukem Forever wont let me down...

rem870hunter
April 2, 2009, 05:26 AM
Course people like Dave Grossman think those games would make me a violent person, which is ironic because I dont even like to hunt...
i loved Doom and Doom II. i played the snot out of the special edition one on the PC. and i am no more a violent person after playing those games than...........

that is a nice looking shotgun Duke is using. a little bit of a crazy way holding it,even w/double PG. but thats video games for ya.

KLRANGL
April 2, 2009, 09:14 AM
a little bit of a crazy way holding it,even w/double PG.
Guess he's not a lefty... :rolleyes:

i loved Doom and Doom II. i played the snot out of the special edition one on the PC.
I still play the Collectors Edition all the time man... Final Doom is by far the most challenging

Jonathan12
April 2, 2009, 02:02 PM

Well, I'm biased as I was raised a Mac person, so to me Marathon and Marathon 2 were the best games of all time. Way better than Halo, which was kind of Bungie ripping off their old masterpiece with newer technology. Not saying Halo was a bad game by the way.

Oh and I don't hunt either. But according to Dave Grossman and, who was that pissant again? Oh yeah, Jack Thompson...I forgot his name after he finally got himself debarred for life. Yeah, according to them I'm a dangerous individual because I was raised on "murder simulators." Guess I better watch myself...

Hopefully Duke Nukem Forever wont let me down...

It better not. 12 years in development, that's a wee bit longer than anyone expected.

that is a nice looking shotgun Duke is using. a little bit of a crazy way holding it,even w/double PG. but thats video games for ya.

Up at the top I explained in an edit why it was held that way. It was so they could mirror it and get the "ejector on wrong side of the weapon" that is mandatory in most video games...because apparently it looks cool.

-Jonathan

armsmaster270
April 2, 2009, 02:56 PM
Winchester it has a rotary bolt head. and the military handguard I had 30 of them in my arms room.

rem870hunter
April 2, 2009, 04:25 PM
what i meant jonathan is he is holding almost like he he trying to sight down the barrel instead of hipshooting.

if someone tried that in real life you'll possibly break your wrist(s) or face.

Jonathan12
April 2, 2009, 09:14 PM
Ah, I see your point Rem870. But, also remember it's reference pics for the artists who drew the in-game graphic. In game it looks more like he's hip-shooting, with a traditional bottom right hand of the screen position.

I agree that holding it that way looks like it would end very badly. But at least they got the right camera angle...

-Jonathan