PDA

View Full Version : 870 Marine Magnum

Techsan
March 27, 2009, 10:52 AM
I want to pick one up, but the prices I'm seeing are over $600 brand new. I haven't bought a new shotgun in years, but I guess the prices have gone up just like the prices on rifles, handguns and ammo?

For the folks who have owned one, has the finish been durable over time, even with less than top notch cleaning and care?

Katrina Guy
March 27, 2009, 06:23 PM
Don't have a marine finish on either of my shotguns, have heard they're durable, whatever durable means...come to that, blue steel is "durable" as are the 870 parkerized TYPE finish, I believe.
Do you like having a bright finish / neon light look on a firearm barrel?

Techsan
March 27, 2009, 06:54 PM
Sure, blue steel is durable, but if I leave a blued shotgun unattended for too long, it's going to rust. I'm interested in the MM because I won't have to worry about the finish over time. In other words, I want a virtually zero maintenance weapon that I can haul around with me.

Dfariswheel
March 27, 2009, 07:46 PM
The standard bright finish Marine Magnum has a very good reputation for durability.
It was specifically designed for use around salt water, and most owners say it's very durable.

Last year, Remington introduced a new Marine Magnum with some type of super-durable black finish for those who want a durable finish but don't like the silver color of the standard MM.

NO gun finish is 100% maintenance free, but the MM's will go a lot longer without rusting.