PDA

View Full Version : Welding on a shotgun barrel?

rmcelwee
March 25, 2009, 11:49 AM
This is my first post here!

I just bought a used shotgun that needs some welding on it. I have a MIG machine but I am not sure if there are any special precautions that I need to take. So, just put a few tack welds on it?

Oh, it is a Remington 1100 semi-auto 12GA ...

http://www.lightweightmiata.com/projects/boomstick/boomstick15.JPG

hoytinak
March 25, 2009, 12:09 PM
If it was me, I'd just buy another barrel for it. 1100 barrels can be had pretty easy.

Bill DeShivs
March 25, 2009, 12:18 PM
I believe the piece was silver-soldered, not welded.

rem870hunter
March 25, 2009, 12:46 PM
that sucks:eek:

zippy13
March 25, 2009, 02:20 PM
Greetings rmcelwee, and welcome aboard,

^I believe the piece was silver-soldered, not welded.
+1

4INCHSMITH
March 25, 2009, 02:24 PM
Yep, looks like silver solder. I wouldn't even consider having it TIG welded because the heat put into the barrel would cause a weakness in the steel's strength. DO NOT MIG weld it, you'll just end up with a messy and weak barrel.

No offense, but I've come across certain steel compositions that would just blow the weld pool back out at me when i struck an arc or simply be so brittle afterward a tap with a hammer would cause it to break apart. Take it to a competent gunsmith, he should know how to remedy you're problem.

jammin1237
March 25, 2009, 05:15 PM
:eek:i wouldnt trust that barrel any farther than i could throw a sumo wrestler... get a new one...............

JWT
March 25, 2009, 05:26 PM
Agree with the other suggestions that 1100 barrels are easy to come by. Don't try to fix it, just get a new or used barrel to replace it.

Katrina Guy
March 25, 2009, 05:58 PM
one tack on either side either Mig or Heli Arc should suffice, heat wise, but like everyone else's post, I'd opt for a new barrel. Bearing in mind if you do Mig it, you're not even waiting for a puddle to build, more of a zip, zip , quick spot here, quick spot there kind of welding, think you'd be ok. Remember, barrels are subject to heat all of the time anyway, only not on such a concentrated spot, but as mentioned you're only talking about two spot welds. I'm not a metal-ergist however.
Buy a new barrel already.

rmcelwee
March 25, 2009, 06:35 PM
So, where do I get a new/used barrel for it? I'd like to have an 18.5" one...

Dfariswheel
March 25, 2009, 06:50 PM
18 1/2" 1100 barrels are a little tougher to find but you can buy them direct from Remington Arms:

http://www.remington.com

It conceivable Remington might even repair your barrel, but it's probably best to just cut to the chase and buy a new one.

hoytinak
March 25, 2009, 09:39 PM
There's always plenty of barrels on GunBroker.

OLNfan
March 25, 2009, 10:01 PM
Wow eh is this common in the remington 1100? I noticed "welcome to the club"

Katrina Guy
March 26, 2009, 05:18 AM
Another quality product from the good ole US of A.
Just shaking my head, cut corners, cut corners, well, at least it wasn't a plastic fused on DEvice.

zippy13
March 26, 2009, 11:07 AM
If your local gunsmith doesn't know about silver soldering, take it to a bicycle frame shop. Those guys are familiar with silver soldering very thin-walled tubing.

jammin1237
March 26, 2009, 05:15 PM
judging just by the picture i see pits in the barrel metal, that suggests someone tried to "welding" on that part to the barrel, no good!.... solder melts at much lower temp and would not damage a barrel... as soon as you melt any part of that barrel it is weak at that spot and is a major safety hazard... your only option is to replace it --- or if the damaged section is out past the 18.5 inch mark, have it cut down to the legal size you want, that would be cheaper than a new barrel............

good luck,

cheers

Jim Watson
March 26, 2009, 06:16 PM
Remngton does not list a barrel shorter than 21" for an 1100. It needs some "dwell time" past the gas ports to give the system time to pressurize and drive the action as a pump does not. Might work at 18.5", might not; I haven't tried.

broncobob
March 26, 2009, 07:21 PM
First of all Welding is what I do for A living, I have several welding certs
including A 6G pipe which covers a wide area of different types of welding.
My first question was this what was the heat factor that caused the separation in the first place? Was the barrel shot to the point where gas port came off? If that was the case,then you might as well get another barrel.The 1100 was A very popular gun for Remington, second only to the
870,so there are barrels galore,as A matter of fact,I have A sportsman 58
which just recently bought a 26" IC vent rib,for $125.00,so there are barrels out there.Now if you intend on welding these pieces back together,you'll have to have A heat sink something that will dissipate the excess heat from building up in the barrel, the best thing for that is copper,if you can find two
copper V blocks,place the barrel in the V with the area to be welded in the middle clamp the two pieces together just as they would be on the gun,make sure that the copper is as close as possible to your weld area.Tig welding is the best way to go because you can control your heat with your foot pedal.
First of all lightly grind off all that garbage that's on the barrel and the gas port,use 1/16" E70S6 welding rod you can get it at any welding supply place.
Now comes the part where talent takes front seat,make A complete weld around the gas port where it attaches to the barrel,you want A complete
seal so that no gas will blow by when you shoot. Now there,oh I forgot set the welding machine at about 50 amps and gas flow at about 20 CFPS,Now there, that's just like A walk in the park,don't forget your helmet.

Slopemeno
March 27, 2009, 12:00 PM
Going from memeory, they were induction brazed at the factory (just like the 700's bolt handle).

1100's will work fine with an 18" barrel, as long as the gas port size is large enough. We shortened a number of them to 18" as home-defense shotguns for customers, and they worked with the full-power buckshot of the era.

I'd contact Remington and see if they'd repair/replace it at their expense. Couldn't hurt to ask.

Lee Lapin
March 27, 2009, 02:44 PM
rcm,

Do you know the history of that gun? Was it ever in a fire perhaps? From the picture, it seems some stuff has been done to that barrel that shouldn't have been done, no matter who did it.

I agree with those who say it's new barrel time... and perhaps, new gun time too, depending on the history of the gun.

House fires + guns = not good...

lpl

Dfariswheel
March 27, 2009, 07:51 PM
Midway lists several Remington factory 18 1/2" barrels for the 1100.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=322510