PDA

View Full Version : Difference between 20inch and 18inch barrels?

SteveRick
March 24, 2009, 01:47 AM
Alright, my HD shotgun choice is down to two, first up is the Mossberg 590.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50660.jpg

and then the Remington 870:

http://www.raynorsports.com/home_defense_shotguns

If between either, will a 20" cylinder bore on the 590 vs and 18" inch cylinder bore on the 870 make all that much of a difference in a HD situation, because I tried out both shotguns and its too hard to tell the difference, well, besides the superior Mossberg ergonomics, but what do you ladies and gentlemen think?

zippy13
March 24, 2009, 02:13 AM
You need to shoot both of them. Your question is akin to "which shoe will fit me better." For me it would be the 20-inch, but only you can make the final decision.

SteveRick
March 24, 2009, 02:33 AM
I have shot both, just need some honest opinions or facts as to the overall pros and cons of each barrel

darkgael
March 24, 2009, 04:35 AM
The only real difference would be the slightly different handling charactertisics of the slightly longer barrel. Not really much to worry about. The difference is inconsequential.
to the overall pros and cons of each barrel
There just isn't a difference worth discussing between an 18" and a 20" bbl.
You might get some discussion of the relative merits of the 870 vs. the Mossberg.
Pete

Waterengineer
March 24, 2009, 08:16 AM
The only real difference would be the slightly different handling charactertisics of the slightly longer barrel. Not really much to worry about. The difference is inconsequential.

That's what you tried to tell her last night......oh, never mind.....

Maromero
March 24, 2009, 08:21 AM
The difference is two inhes.

rantingredneck
March 24, 2009, 08:22 AM
Between an 18" and 20" cyl bore barrel there won't likely be enough velocity difference to matter (if any).

For me, I prefer barrels that will accept choke tubes or that are at a minimum fixed IC vs. Cyl. Better patterning in my experience.

Of the HD shotguns presently in the safe:

1) Remington 870 Special Purpose 20" rifle sight remchoke (my primary HD gun)
2) Remington 870 Wingmaster 20" rifle sight remchoke
3) Remington 870 Express 20" rifle sight fixed IC (truck gun)
4) Mossberg 500 18.5" LE Heavy Wall accuchoke (wife's primary HD gun)
5) Remington 11-87 Special Purpose 21" rifle sight remchoke

Depending on the gun the interchangeable choke guns all either have IC or Mod chokes. Some like one vs. the other due to shotgun pattern voodoo.

Between your choices, it will come down to individual feel. One barrel may or may not pattern better with a particular load than the other, but the other barrel may like a different load better. Go with whichever one "feels" right and then experiment to find a load it likes. (That's the fun part :D).

SteveRick
March 25, 2009, 02:48 PM
I got the Remington 870 Security model 12G, 20" barrel, 8 shot, synthetic black. It feels better in my hand and pumps a little bit better than the Mossberg. I can't wait to pick her up in ten days.