PDA

View Full Version : Knoxx stocks: opinions??

MagnumWill
March 23, 2009, 10:58 AM
Hey everybody. I was curious if anyone had any sets of these stocks on their guns. I've really been considering the specops folder, since I would like to stow the gun so that it's a llittle more compact, but I can still (have a chance to) use the sights. Opinions?

levrluvr
March 23, 2009, 11:23 AM
Don't know about their folding stocks- I wanted something that could be used in the field as well as HD. The Compstock works well, even when shooting brennekes or buckshot. It made a big difference in comfortability when shooting turkey loads.

RoscoeC
March 23, 2009, 01:16 PM
Ok, we all know what opinions are like...everybody has one and most of them stink. Soooo...here's mine.

I first got into the world of tactical shotguns about 4 years ago. I found a Remington 870 Express with a +2 extension and 18 1/2" barrel, synthetic furniture. Without ever firing the gun (something I would never do again), I bought a 20" rifle sighted barrel with fixed IC Choke. I then bought and installed a Knoxx Spec Ops stock. Then I went and took a defensive shotgun course.

With all that said my experience with the Knoxx Spec Ops has been pretty extensive. I have fired about 2000 rounds with it mostly during training. This has been a mix of bird shot, 00 buck, both full power and reduced recoil and slugs.

Does the stock reduce perceived recoil? Absolutely. Does it lend itself to good technique and a good cheek weld? Not really. The first few times I shot it my right cheek apple looked like I had been sucker punched. It hurt like the dickens, too. An observant friend pointed out that the bell was striking my cheek. Lengthening the stock fixed that problem.

As far as a wire folder, I would never consider it. I think pistol grip only is a very bad idea. If you just need to compact the weapon for transport, etc., then for that purpose alone, it might be ok.

Since I have put in the time and energy, I am going to keep the one I have, but with that said, given it to do over again I would opt for a limbsaver recoil pad on the synthetic furniture that came on the gun originally.

Homerboy
March 23, 2009, 04:23 PM
I have the Spec Ops stock and it works wonders. Changed the "punch" feeling into a 'push". never been injured by it, either.

I just put a Limbsaver on my Mossberg 930, and it is wonderful, also. It only cost me 40 bucks. makes a BIg difference in felt recoil as well.

I recommend the Knoxx if you want the adjustable option. the folder stock I wouldn't get. If you want to reduce recoil while still looking traditional, the limbsaver is the way to go. knoxx does make a stock that looks traditional with the springs inside. it is cheaper then the Spec Op one. I would have to say the Knoxx reduces recoil more than the limbsaver due to the dual springs

chris in va
March 23, 2009, 08:30 PM
Get the CompStock. I had the SpecOps and it's too low to get a good bead lineup. A couple reverse stock spacers sorta fixed the issue, but not fully. I sold it and just stuck with my Limbsaver for now.

Mike U.
March 24, 2009, 05:03 PM
I have the Spec Ops. Love it. Like Homerboy said, it turns that punch into a push.
It becomes a big deal when shooting slugs like the Brenneke Black Magics or the Gold Magnum or, especially, the Remington Buckhammers. And, oh yes, and let's not forget those wonderful 2 oz. Winchester Turkey Loads.OUCH!!:eek:

BUT! I now intend to go with a Comp Stock for the more traditional look and feel. The sweet part is I still get to keep that very nice recoil reduction system Knoxx provides. It's all good...;):cool:

colostomyclown
March 24, 2009, 05:10 PM
I've shot a compstock mounted ona Winchester defender. Didn't like it all, especially considering the price. Would much recommend a solid full stock with a limbsaver, either factory, hogue or speedfeed for numerous reasons, most of all target acquisition and line of sight ESPECIALLY on a 590. As for the Knoxx wire folder, I'm sure it's awful as far a sline of sight goes especially on the 590 because it's a 20 inch gun rather than an 18.5" gun. Would be terribly front heavy. If you MUST have a collapsible stock go with a butler creek folder (seemed sturdy on a Rem870 I had.

bcarver
March 24, 2009, 05:16 PM
I have the spec ops and use it turkey hunting.
It works well but I shoot from sitting positions and odd ones at that.
I would try the comp stock if anything other than turkey hunting.
The limbsaver is good but not as good in reducing recoil.
Remington has a knox with limbsaver in 3.5 870.
This may be a good combo.
The knox works by spreading the recoil over time.

Ian0351
March 24, 2009, 05:29 PM
I shot a friends tacticool Mossberg 535, complete with a 3-position adjustable length Knoxx recoil reducing stock (not sure what the model name is) and didn't really care for it. I found the motion of the receiver to be distracting during firing and had a lot of trouble keeping my cheek weld for follow up shots on clay pigeons. I much prefer a classic pump gun with wood furniture. My Mossberg 500 came with a huge soft butt pad and is very easy to shoot, especially compared to the spartan Mossbergs I used in the service.
Like the man said, everybody's got one...

G-Dub870
March 24, 2009, 05:38 PM
i would recommend the spec ops stock.. i used to have a folding stock and it wasn't that cool.. folders just aren't real fun either they will beat the **** out of your arm.. but the spec ops with the recoil reduction crap is what i have now and its the most amazing thing ever

colostomyclown
March 24, 2009, 05:46 PM
id rather have a clear sight picture and fast target acquisition and a sore arm that will come with a full stock than i would be dead and have an arm that hasnt absorbed the recoil of a 12 gauge shotgun because i couldnt get on target fast or accurate enough. imo there is no substitute for a full stock. id love to see Knoxx try something with a full stock somehow. they definitely have a good r and d team behind their products but they arent for me.

Homerboy
March 25, 2009, 05:12 PM
Knoxx has a full stock. I think it's called the Compstock. Looks just like a regular stock. They say it cuts 80% of the recoil, while the Spec Ops cuts 90%.

colostomyclown
March 25, 2009, 05:17 PM
intriguing. ill have to check it out for my 590. i dont have the heart to remove the wood from my 500atp. limbsaver on that one all the way...im almost even kinda guilty about removing the original recoil pad

jammin1237
March 25, 2009, 05:26 PM
got one on a win 1300 when it first came out, for a HD setup... it is still on the gun and it wont be coming off, ever... you can pound out 3" mag loads all day if you would like... BUT it does take some practice for follow up shots as it throws off your timing for the pump action... its about personal preference...try one out before getting one if you can...

cheers

GP35
March 26, 2009, 09:35 PM
I have a Spec Ops on a Mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights, good cheek weld and sight alignment with the optional cheekpiece. Recoil reduction works good. The only problem is this stock was really designed for the Remington shotguns with the forward action release, on the Mossbergs you have to shift your grip on the pistol grip in order to hit the slide release.

Technosavant
March 27, 2009, 09:58 PM
I have a 870 Tactical with the SpecOps stock (the M4 collapsible style). Surprisingly, I get quite a good cheekweld on it- better than my 1100. It's all in how it fits you. It does eat up recoil by a tremendous amount- again, it seems to kick less than the 1100 with the same ammo. I've been using mine for skeet (I'm no worse than with the 1100, and occasionally a bit better), and I can shoot multiple rounds of skeet without any kind of a red mark anywhere.

I highly recommend it.