PDA

View Full Version : looking for my first shotgun.

3-fitty-7
March 23, 2009, 12:33 AM
growing up my dad had a couple that i shot a cple times but i've never owned one myself, i primarily shoot handguns. i don't hunt so this shotgun will be my hd/range and every once in a while trap gun.
i can't decide between a pump, saiga or sxs coachgun. the sxs will be kept stock with maybe the addition of a recoil pad, a local shop had a couple for around 250 new, the brand was norinco i believe, could these possibly be any good? are there any other brands i should look at for a coachgun? i don't have a huge budget and it doesn't have to be the prettiest.
the pump will probably be remington or mossberg with 18" barrel fitted with an AR knoxx collapsible stock for around $500 or so.
the siaga would most likely be fitted with a side folding pistol grip stock for 700+, kind of out of my price range but i may be able to scratch it together.
the other thing is caliber, would 20 ga make an ok hd caliber?

Whiteboy67
March 23, 2009, 01:32 AM
For me, mossberg 590 is fine right out of the box for hd/shooting in the woods. It's only ~$300 I believe so that's more money for ammo :D

hoytinak
March 23, 2009, 01:40 AM
My Mossberg 500 12ga fits all mine needs just fine. Mainly keep it setup for HD with the 18.5" barrel & shortend LOP stock but also have the 28" barrel w/interchangable chokes and regular wood stock/forend I use for hunting and some trap.

tarpon
March 23, 2009, 07:52 AM
Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 would do.

I think the 12 GA would be the most versatile. One with the screw in chokes would be my choice these days. Simply changing barrels dramatically changes the use -- IMHO.

I see the 20 GA as a more purpose gun, when you want to see how good you really are .. LOL.

Water-Man
March 23, 2009, 08:57 AM
Remington 870 Express Combo 20 ga.

OLNfan
March 23, 2009, 09:31 AM
Are you leaning towards a pistol grip cause thats what your use to shooting? or cause you want a tatical look? Remington 870 a real stock makes a lot of difference in a hd situation. plus your occasionlly shooting trap..their are no mall ninjas in trap. plus if you ever decide to go hunting your partner wont look at you like " hey whys this guy using a mall ninja for game." I will say this Iv have a mossberg 500 and that sounds like what your goin for if that works for you rock on but also the coach. Iv always saved up money to buy a coach then I end up buying something else. Also a nice semi auto would alwasy be fun.
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_model_2000.php
cheap, reliable. 4 styles to choose from
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_coach_guns.php
cheap, relaible, with a nice attitude. with 4 styles to choose from
You want to get the most you can out of your shotgun. you have to know "Do I want to be able to shoot slugs?" the tightest choke is an improved cylnder I belive for slugs. alot of things can be taken with buckshot too wouldnt go much higher than deer though. Iv shot deer just fine from 40 yards with an ithica 12 gage 000 buck shot. From being on this site I tend to find alot of people hunt deer with a 20 gage slugs. they beleive 20 is lighter, and more effiecent. espically for trap. but I dont own a 20, just two 12's so I cant say anything personal about those.
Just ideas

CrossbowKiller
March 23, 2009, 09:42 AM
If you want a semi auto I would go for the Mossberg 930. If you want a pump, the Remington 870.

Dustin0
March 23, 2009, 09:54 AM
Remington 870 Express with 28 Barrel. Works great for trap.

3-fitty-7
March 23, 2009, 10:11 AM
pistol grips work for me b/c i'm very short (5'5") and have short arms, i keep my ar15 stock at about 1/2 length. i picked up a full sized remington 870 and could could barely reach the pump with my left hand. the full stock felt right on the coachgun tho. a youth model would work but i don't wanna get laughed at ;), j/k i don't care if i get laughed at as long as i do my part and do it safely. i don't really think of myself as a mall ninja either, it's kind of hard looking cool decked out in camo and a black vest when you look 15 years old. i jus like to have fun.

Lee Lapin
March 23, 2009, 10:49 AM
I suggest the 'try before you buy' approach. Get some trigger time on as many shotgun makes and models as you can manage. Talk to family, friends, co-workers, look for rentals at various ranges and gun clubs. Go shoot some shotguns. Get some more experience before you plunk down your hard earned $$$.

JMHO,

lpl

MagnumWill
March 23, 2009, 10:51 AM
Get a Mossberg 590 if you want it for home defense. If you get ANY notion at all to bird hunt or do some trap shooting, grab a remington 870 or Mossberg 500, so you can interchange chokes and barrels.

OLNfan
March 23, 2009, 01:58 PM
Finding a gun that fits is tricky then, and you want a pistol grip cause you feel comfterbale, I would suggest if your small framed a new england firearms single shot 12-20 gage but I just found this guy.
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/tamer.asp its got the pistol grip, 20 gage, 20'' barrel (you can hack a few off to get the 18''.) 20 gage or .410 slugs are avalible great for h/d and good all around shooting 12 gage. if you go to the 20 you could even hunt deer.

BigJimP
March 23, 2009, 02:30 PM
If you're looking for a versatile shotgun - stay with a pump gun (model and mfg is up to you) - but Remington 870's, Benellil Nova's, Browning BPS - are all good guns. A 26" or 28" barrel - will give you a decent sight plane - and be reasonably versatile.

Personally, my pump gun of choice is the BPS - Hunter model in a 28" barrel.

Any coach gun - is probably a waste of money / and its not versatile. It isn't a decent defensive or fighting weapon / and it sure isn't any good for clay targets.

Go for a 12ga / you can load it light ( with 7/8oz ) so balistically it becomes the same as a 20ga. So a 12ga is a more versatile gun because you can go light on the loads or heavy.

OLNfan
March 23, 2009, 06:35 PM
I dont think you actually read his approach to the shotgun. 1) he is 5'5 and a 1/2legnth retractble stock to reach the pump. he also wants an 18''barrel In no way is a 26 or 28 inch barrel helping this situation. everything you have stated WONT work unless their is a youth model. He already picked up a remington 870 full size and it doesnt fit him at all, and doesnt want to go to the youth version. the stage coach however fits him. their is nothing wrong with a stage coach shotgun or even a single barrel new england firearm. Both can be found in a 16-18'' barrel smaller stock very versatile for him.
Your suggestions would of been helpfull but you obvoiusly didnt read his predicament. So other than that the models of firearms you have stated were already ruled out.

the coach gun with training can be just as goood as a pump. I suggest you watch this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw

You dont need a 1000 dollar shotgun, I need to know how to run the gun I got!

OLNfan
March 24, 2009, 03:36 PM
Have you made any decisions of anything yet? or ideas? let us know!

MatchKingMK
March 24, 2009, 10:44 PM
I shot 870's and a 590A1 all my life till I shot my first Beretta. For a bit more money you can get an Xtrema2 I think I paid $830 for mine new and love it never a missed shot and it'll shoot anything form 7/8oz trap loads to 3 1/2 duck mags with no adjustments. I promise you can't go wrong with it. And it's easier to clean than an 870. You can also adjust the length of pull.

Best of luck get what fits right is in your price range and mostly what makes you happy.

Derekadavis
March 26, 2009, 03:21 AM
If you deside on the side by side I have one worth looking at!

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343371

3-fitty-7
March 26, 2009, 08:40 AM
my range has a mossy 500 with 18" breacher barrel and pistol grip for $410 and they also sell the knoxx stock but i haven't checked the price on it. i think a 500 or 870 would be the most versatile as far as changing barrels to suit my needs and upgrade. i'll probably go with that. thanks guys.

skydiver3346
March 26, 2009, 08:47 AM
Lot of different options: Not only for home defense, but hunting birds, deer, etc. Lots of different barrel sizes and chokes and is just a good all around shotgun for most anything you need a scattergun for. Always good re-sale too. To me, being VERY RELIABLE is my most important requirement, (and it is).

RobertRogers
March 26, 2009, 10:05 AM
A 20 Gauge can be a good choice. It throws something like 75% of the lead of a 12-gauge but with only half the kick. For a beginner that can be significant. Or if you are small in stature.

hogdogs
March 26, 2009, 10:18 AM
it is easier to reduce the recoil of a 12 down to 20 gauge than to find variety in a 20...;)
Brent

Katrina Guy
March 26, 2009, 06:46 PM
His situation is a problem obviously of reaching the pump fore arm not a smaller gauge, the stock could be cut, wondering if a pump action is even in the picture for him...and even a semi auto's fore arm may be too long to grip.
Keep looking young man, there's something out there for you!

hogdogs
March 26, 2009, 07:12 PM
http://www.armasmagnum.com/images/5-MAVERICK88.jpg
Shorter old style fore stock...
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4175/s6301047ay2.jpg
This one is "extended" rearward for shorter reach... it is actually about even with the front of the ejection port as it is fully opened...
Brent

bswiv
March 26, 2009, 07:32 PM
If I might add this.

Traditional wisdom is that as soon as you switch from HD to hunting, whether birds or tossing buckshot, you need/should go to a longer barrel. Same thought goes for skeet/trap.

While there are some good arguments for a longer barrel in some situations what is far more important is the proper choke tube.

Whether the 870 or 500 is chosen ( And yes I noted the part about being short but that is easily mitigated by shortening the stock a inch or so which can be easily done. ) fact is that a barrel of 20 inches or so will work quite well in all the proposed situations when choked properly.

My old 500 has been used successfully on everything from pheasants to ducks to hogs and on to the skeet range. While it's not perfect for the skeet range it will do plenty good for the casual shooter.

And I'll say this too, in the woods you'll appreciate the shorted barrel and the animals will never notice that the shot came from a 20 or 28 inch barrel.

Keep it as simple as possible and use the dollars you save on a few extra boxes of shells at the range so that you are very familiar with it.

scorpion_tyr
March 26, 2009, 08:31 PM
A good pump action 12 gauge with an 18" barrel!

I personally suggest a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Either one is fine and both have a lot of accessories you can use to customize your HD gun.

Get your hands on both and see how you like them. They both have a different layout when it comes to the safety and slide release switches. For most the decision between the two comes down to whichever they like more.

You can go with a Mossberg 590, but it's a little too tactical for most practicle HD guns. Do you really need a heat shield?

A lot of things may look really cool on shotguns, but they're simply not practical, and a lot of times a waste of money. Before you add anything to it, try and get your hands on one that is already set up like you want. It might look cool, but might feel horrible.

Personally I'm an 870 man. You can pick up a used one for pretty cheap and then put whatever you want on it to customize it for yourself. I'm sure you can do the same with a Mossberg though.

Either way... good luck, and post pics! :D

WagonM
March 27, 2009, 03:01 PM
$500 bones will easily get what you are looking for (still have change for ammo if you buy them all used):

NEW Rem 870 HD Model 25077 (18", 6+1) -- I paid $330 + Tax just last month

NEW Hogue 12" LOP short stock set ~$60

USED Rem 26" or 28" or 30" extra barrel runs between $100 ~ $150 (?)

The above is exactly what I have :D The extra barrel in my case is a 26" with 3 chokes.

I'm not a big/tall built... 5'7" 150lbs.. I like the Hogue stock very much .. SpeedFeed IVs is even shorter.. but for ~$20 more too.

Happy shopping