PDA

View Full Version : S&W model 1 1/2 barrel bulge

Winchester_73
March 22, 2009, 09:17 PM
I got this S&W from an auction recently and I was very pleased with it until I discovered this slight barrel bulge. I heard that theres no real way to fix it but I thought I'd ask anyways. Thanks

Mike Irwin
March 22, 2009, 09:43 PM
Didn't you post this before here?

Or, if that wasn't you, the first quarter of 2009 is the "Old S&W bulged barrel" quarter.

Anyway...

No. No real way to fix it other than cutting the barrel back and relocating the front sight.

Winchester_73
March 22, 2009, 09:49 PM
Hi Mike

I posted this in the curio and relics section one other time. I posted it here for obvious reasons.

James K
March 22, 2009, 09:56 PM
Somebody shot an obstruction out of that barrel. No, there is nothing you can do to fix it; cutting the barrel will remove most of the barrel markings and would (IMHO) be worse than doing nothing. If you got it at a reasonable price, it is still of interest as the first (1878) S&W top break revolver.

Jim

Winchester_73
March 24, 2009, 08:57 PM
I got it for $220. It has original grips. The gun is tight and ejects properly. It also shoots well. The one grip has a chip out of it. Was it a good deal?
I did buy it without seeing the bulge. Believe it or not, I overlooked it 2x when I personally examined the gun. What do you guys think?

James K
March 27, 2009, 04:47 PM
The price is about average, not a steal, but not too bad.

I have gotten to like the old S&Ws and have several of them. I have a couple of .38 breaktops that had very bad nickel jobs, so I had the nickel removed electrically, then polished and blued them. I didn't try to match the blue of that era, but matched the then current S&W blue very well.

For replacement grips, try www.gungrip.com (North Carolina Ordnance). Incredibly, you can also use wood J frame grips with no change except taking some off the bottom. S&W has not changed their basic small round-butt grip shape in over 125 years.

Jim

norsecat
March 29, 2009, 11:01 PM
If it shoots OK Id just leave it alone.
It wont look right if the barrel is cut back unless the patent dates are also milled off.
And the gun refinished.
A very fine bead blast and sanding to a high finish for a reblue would probably look best