PDA

View Full Version : Direction of mag spring in Mossberg 930

Homerboy
March 22, 2009, 09:45 AM
While reassembling my Mossberg 930, I realized that the spring in the mag tube has an open end, and a tapered end. What direction does the spring go in? I tried it both ways. With the tapered end towards the muzzle, I can't get more then 2 shells in, so I figured that way was wrong. When I switched it, all 7 went in, but when I went to unload them, the spring stopped applying pressure to the shells, and they would just fall out. It seems to work now, but would like a definitive answer.

Also, while firing it today, the first 5 rounds (Federal Hi-Shok Low recoil slugs), failed to feed 2 times out of five. The Winchester low recoil slugs worked fine, and the federal Multi Purpose shot worked fine. Last time I shot those same rounds, it functioned flawlessly Also, while firing that first 5 of the Federal slugs, a piece of plastic came out of the gun. Couldn't see where it came from, so I kept shooting. When I broke it down to clean, I saw the a little sliver of the plastic forearm retainer sheared off. Still functions fine, but I gotta get another one. Could that have been the cause of the malfunctions in the first five? Maybe it wasn't quite sitting right from the last time I field stripped it?

Finally, the limbsaver precision fir recoil pad I put on last week really makes a difference. Gun is WAY more pleasant to shoot now

inSight-NEO
March 22, 2009, 03:45 PM
Since I have yet to own a 930, I cannot give you specific info for the problems you are experiencing. However, I will say that I believe a tapered mag spring, regardless of whether or not its tapered on one end or both, is just an invitation for potential feeding issues. If I were you, I might consider using the much recommended Wolff spring (non-tapered generic 40" XD series), cutting it down to the appropriate length and then reshaping it to where the ends are somewhat flat. This might help with your feeding issue at least.

Also, it seems like different loads (ie., manufacturers) can have either a positive affect or a negative one, in terms of reliable feeding, due to various differences in design characteristics. This is certainly true with the semi-auto handgun world, so Im assuming the same thing applies concerning the shotgun world as well.

TxGun
March 22, 2009, 05:07 PM
The tapered end of the mag spring normally goes in the follower.

Homerboy
March 22, 2009, 06:36 PM
Something must be wrong, then. With the tapered end into the follower, the tube will only hold 2 shells. Is there anything else that goes into the tube other then the follower and spring?

Homerboy
March 22, 2009, 06:48 PM
Just dug out the manual. Tapered end goes at the top, opposite the receiver. Still can't figure out why the spring will bind up in the tube, though.

inSight-NEO
March 22, 2009, 08:04 PM
Still can't figure out why the spring will bind up in the tube, though.

Could it be the tapered end causing this? The stock spring that came with my Mossberg 590 (tapered on both ends) became bent/warped after the first 30 rounds. Again, the stock spring was literally BENT!!

It seems to me that the tapered end(s) cause a higher degree of spring angle displacement/movement vs my other shotgun which uses a "straight" spring. This tapering would possibly be more prone to cause binding/warping within the tube, IMHO. Again, I would consider ditching the stock spring just to be safe.

MAX100
March 22, 2009, 08:39 PM
It could be the spring. Also check the tube extension inside where the threads and the tube meet. Sometimes on the Choate tube extensions the tube sticks out forming a lip. If it sticks out a lot the spring, follower and or shells can get hung up on it. Some have a seam that sticks out where the tube was welded together that runs the full length of the tube. It can sometimes cause problems.

I would replace the spring with a Wolff spring anyway.

GC

Homerboy
March 23, 2009, 05:42 AM
Wolff doesn't sell a mag spring for the 930. Just the 500 and 590. And since the 930 SPX has a longer spring then a standard 930, I would need one directly made for the SPX, correct? I don't want to start cutting springs. Seems like an invitation to a malfunction.

hogdogs
March 23, 2009, 09:06 AM
take out the spring and follower and load the tube with one round... tip the gun down then up and listen for hiccups... This may find a speedbump that is affecting the compression of the spring...
Brent

MAX100
March 23, 2009, 11:36 AM
Wolff doesn't sell a mag spring for the 930. Just the 500 and 590. And since the 930 SPX has a longer spring then a standard 930, I would need one directly made for the SPX, correct? I don't want to start cutting springs. Seems like an invitation to a malfunction.

Mossberg factory springs are at the bottom of the Quality shotgun spring list. The Wolff shotgun springs are one of the best springs you can get. Their universal 12Ga spring is what you need. They come 40" long and need to be cut to 26" for the 930 SPX. Shape the cut end by just bending it closer to the lower coil so it isn't sticking up, don't taper it. I have them in all of my shotguns and have cut and shaped well over hundred this year so far. I offer them with the tube extensions I make and sale. I have not had any malfunctions yet with any of the Wolff springs I sale or own.

I have a Mossberg 930 SPX. I have one of the first ones out and it has a sized universal Wolff spring in it.

GC

Homerboy
March 23, 2009, 03:49 PM
Called Mossberg and they are sending me a new forearm retainer. Mentioned the mag spring and they said they no longer use a tapered at one end type, so they're sending me a new mag spring, too. The gun worked perfectly the first time out. I wonder if the retainer shearing could have caused the first few malfunctions, or of the problem with the mag spring could have (makes sense, I guess.)

4thPointofContact
March 26, 2009, 11:46 PM
500 and 590 mag springs fit just fine in a 930.

As a side benefit; using the spring from a 500/590 in a SPX allows you to put a full 7 shells of Federal LE132-00 in the magazine tube instead of six (Federal being just >.< a little bit longer than nominal).