PDA

View Full Version : How to reduce recoil on a Browning BPS?

sparkysteve
March 21, 2009, 08:49 PM
I have a Browning BPS 12 ga. 3" / 26" barrel. I love the gun, but after a long day of hunting or busting clays my shoulder gets angry. What would be the best way to cut down on the recoil? Anyone have experiene with mercury style reducers. I don't really like the magazine cap ones because I like to use a sling, but was wondering about the inside the stock style. I can't seem to find a custom fit recoil pad, besides the factory one is pretty thick already. I'm also not a fan of the slip on butt pads either. Any reccomendations would be great.

Brian Pfleuger
March 21, 2009, 08:53 PM
I can't seem to find a custom fit recoil pad, besides the factory one is pretty thick already.

It's not thickness you need, it's a good design. Your best bet would probably be a Sims Limbsaver. They make a generic style that you put on the gun and then mark it and grind it down to fit. A Limbsaver makes an absolute WORLD of difference.

For shooting clays also make sure you have a nice light load. You don't need power to break 'em.

olddrum1
March 22, 2009, 12:29 AM
What kind of loads are you shooting? I would cut down to an ounce load for most clay shooting. Gracoil can be your friend also.

zippy13
March 22, 2009, 05:09 AM
I've had a mercury filled can in the stock bolt hole of my 1100 for years. It gives a noticeable reduction but nothing monumental. On various guns I've used: fancy recoil pads, longer forcing cones, over-boring, porting, additional weights, low pressure reloads and custom air stocks. In my experience, the air piston stocks give the greatest felt recoil reduction.

RetiredLawman
March 22, 2009, 07:49 AM
Send Marcie at Limbsaver's site an email. She will give you the exact stock number for your gun. If every company had a person like Marcie, there would be less bankruptcies.

sparkysteve
March 22, 2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't see a pad that would fit on Limbsaver's site. I e-mailed them with my question. I might try the slip on model pad. I have pretty long arms and wouldn't mind a little extra length of pull.

For target loads I usually shoot Federal 2-3/4" 1-1/8 oz. #8's. It's usually not bad until I get into my third or fourth box for the day. I wouldn't mind taking some of the punch out of my turkey loads too.

Demaiter
March 22, 2009, 04:41 PM
yea - I agree with you on reducing the BPS recoil. I have both a bps in 20 gauge with a plastic but stock and a rem 1100 in 20 gauge with a pachymer 1" decelerator. Boy that BPS kicks compared to the 1100 - I should "man up" and pay 100 to get the stock cut down a half inch and a pad attached - or instead ill just buy a shoulder pad thing

olddrum1
March 22, 2009, 11:24 PM
Try taking your target loads down to 1 ounce or even better 7/8 ounce of shot. It will extend your shooting without the pain. If you do not reload you might want to consider it. You can take away most of the felt recoil with slower powder and lighter amounts of shot.

laxpatrick
March 22, 2009, 11:36 PM
I "third" the recommendation if you get into reloading. Cheaper, plus the satisfaction of shooting your own stuff. 1 ounce loads are fine for skeet, 16yd trap, and more. Surprising difference...

BigJimP
March 23, 2009, 01:15 PM
The best way to reduce recoil ( for any given load you shoot ) is to add weight to the gun. The BPS - and most pump guns - are in the 7 1/2 lb range - so adding 1 lb to the gun will reduce the recoil about 12%.

I don't like the forend cap replacement items either. But what you can do is put a mercury reducer inside the stock / or just some "shot" in a tube ( or a cut off hull - taped up ) - and then put some weight inside the forend ( melt some lead into a sheet or whatever ) - and by weighting the butt and the forend - you are keeping the weight between your hands which is a good thing. But all of this is easy to do / although I wouldn't go much over about 8 1/2 lbs gross weight so the gun still stays nimble.

olddrum1
March 25, 2009, 12:54 AM
Lets back this up a little. Do you reload?

sparkysteve
March 25, 2009, 06:52 PM
No I don't. But with ammo prices what they are, I may need to start.

PSI357
March 25, 2009, 07:15 PM
I just ordered a slip-on limbsaver. If you go to their website, they have a chart with butt measurement to fit you into a small, medium, or large. I got my size and ordered it from Cabelas. It was about $40.

oneounceload
March 26, 2009, 07:51 AM
Heavy gun + light target, (NOT field), loads=all day shooting comfort.....Your shoulder, as you get older, will greatly appreciate it......

coldshot
March 28, 2009, 10:59 PM
If you have a belt sander, and a 80 grit , and 220 grit belts the grind to fit limb saver pad did the trick for my model 37 featherlite. It only cost about $35.00 at bass pro, I did cut it down about 3/4" to keep the stock L.O.P.