PDA

View Full Version : How are vent ribs attached to the barrel?

Super-Dave
March 20, 2009, 07:10 AM
How do the factories attach vent ribs to the barrels?

I hope thay are not all glued.:(

Has anyone ever had a vent rib come off?

How long can you expect the vent rib to stay on the barrel until it comes off?

RetiredLawman
March 20, 2009, 08:49 AM
They are spot welded on. I expect vent ribs to last forever. My oldest vent ribbed gun is 50+ years old and has seen heavy use. I have heard of vent ribs looseing breaking loose but I would think that it was from abuse, not use.

Slopemeno
March 20, 2009, 09:27 AM
There are a couple of ways. Aftermarket ribs are often glued on with epoxy. You'll also see factory ribs that are hard and soft soldered on, depending on what gun/era.

ZeSpectre
March 20, 2009, 10:15 AM
I've seen mostly soldered on, but I've also seen a few that were pinned or drilled/tapped/screwed on. (to be clear, the latter were rare and I think hack jobs.)

I would expect the rib to stay on for the life of the gun.

zippy13
March 20, 2009, 11:05 AM
To other old pharts, like me, vent rib is synonymous with Simmons. From the their site:

Simmons invented the free floating ventilated rib! In 1947, Simmons began silver soldering the rib post on barrels which creates a bond 10 times stronger than that of other methods. This gun modification set the standard for the industry. In 1954, Simmons began installing ribs on the Model 42 shotgun for Winchester. To this day, Simmons has installed over half a million ventilated ribs for major manufacturers and individual gun owners like you.

Floating Rib action
The rib supports are dovetailed on top so that the Simmons Ventilated Rib is anchored to your barrel...allowing the rib to remain intact as the barrel expands and contracts.

paul salchow
March 22, 2009, 08:31 PM
That has not changed and never will.