PDA

View Full Version : Inherited 101

rmocarsky
March 20, 2009, 03:03 AM
Fellas,

I recently inherited a Winchester 101 with 30'' full choke barrels.

Only one of the ejectors works; the other you have to manually remove spent hull.

It is about 25 years old, I think.

I have toyed with the idea of having the barrel shortened to 26" and the chokes changed to either interchangeable or mod/cyl, and having the ejector fixed, but I have been warned about altering the gun from its original state.

Is this warning to be heeded?

Dingoboyx
March 20, 2009, 03:14 AM
Sounds like a nice collectors item to me..... I say treasure it like it is now, buy something else you want to shoot with. What do you think the person you inherited it from would think of you butchering it? and apart from the sentimental value, what would be the financial value of it (after you spend lots of $ on it?) :eek:

heed the warning ;)

Muzza

RUT
March 20, 2009, 07:10 AM
The last thing I'd do is cut the barrel down to 26". The trend today is towards longer barrels, and 30" is about ideal. If you ever decide to sell it, the longer barrel length will make it more attractive. However, adding interchangeable chokes would not be a bad thing. Were this to be a priceless collectible I might say otherwise.

Waterengineer
March 20, 2009, 08:51 AM
Pictures please. Serial number please. We can help ID build date.

Absolutely do not cut the barrels - keep this baby intact.

buy another gun if you want changeable chokes and shorter barrels.

Do not destroy the value of this gun.

publius
March 20, 2009, 11:33 AM
DO NOT CUT BARRELS:eek: Either get the ejector fixed or convert the good ejector to extractor. I like simple extractors. Don't have to pick up hulls.

zippy13
March 20, 2009, 12:40 PM
As far a cutting the barrels on a 101, or any typical O/U, you may be in for a rude awakening: What you see at the factory muzzle is not be the typical condition the full length. At the factory finished end you have: two barrels, three ribs (1 top and 2 sides) and a filler between the side ribs. The filler may be fabricated from a plate or a plug. Either way, it doesn't extend back very far. Filling the void, between the side ribs of a cut-back barrel is not to be taken lightly.

I started shooting Skeet with 101's, and purposefully defeated the ejectors. You're already halfway there. ;)

Waterengineer
March 20, 2009, 01:12 PM
Zippy tells the truth about the build +1 Zip.

I agree with the extractor not ejector thinking too - and so will your squad mates.