PDA

View Full Version : Ammo question

GuyS
March 19, 2009, 10:25 PM
What is the difference between 12 guage 1 oz 8 shot and 12 guage 1 and 1/8 oz 8 shot with respect to recoil. I mostly shoot trap.

olddrum1
March 19, 2009, 10:56 PM
On standard factory loads the 1 1/8 load will have more resistance and therefore build a little more pressure. his equates into more recoil, all things being equal except for the shot. The 1 ounce load will have a little more speed.

ilmonster
March 20, 2009, 09:03 AM
Well, free recoil is comprised of three things - weight of the ejecta (how many oz.'s of shot), speed at which it comes out of the barrel, and weight of the gun. Size of shot isn' t a factor. Per an article in Clay Shooting USA (April 2008), a 1 1/8 oz load at 1150 fps has 18.2 ft/lbs of recoil vs. a 1 oz. load at 1150 fps having 14.4 ft/lbs of recoil. A slower 1 oz. load (say 1145 fps) will also recoil less than a faster 1 oz. load (say 1350 fps.). I keep reading that more folks are going to lighter loads and have their scores go up. I started shooting 1 oz. loads for skeet, and have over time moved to 7/8 oz. loads and have seen my scores go up, and recoil for me is not an issue with 7/8 oz. loads (shooting a Citory XT weighing 8.5 lbs.). A few less pellets are usually not an issue for me as when I miss, I really miss. 50 more #8 pellets wouldn't have broken the bird. Good luck!

BigJimP
March 20, 2009, 11:34 AM
The difference is about 25% in recoil - if the 1 oz and the 1 1/8oz shells are the same velocity.

The experts say recoil is cumulative - so as the day goes by / and you shoot more - it will make you a little more tired and you may lose some focus if you are shooting the heavier loads.

A lot of experts will tell you 1 oz loads pattern better than 1 1/8oz loads ( less flyers out of the pattern ). That kind of depends on your gun though. Personally, I like a 1 oz load in 8's for Trap for 16 - 20 yards / beyond 20 yards I go to 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's. I tend to keep all of my loads whether they are 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz at about 1225 fps ( a hair faster than the typical 1200 fps load )... but maybe that's in my head too ...

zippy13
March 20, 2009, 12:12 PM
Don't know where you're going with this, Guy, are you try ing to save money on shot or reduce recoil? Since you're using 8's on trap, I'm guessing that you're not shooting from the 27-yard line.

For recoil reduction, just keep in mind that force is the product of the mass times the velocity squared. So, reductions in velocity will be more effective in recoil reduction than reductions in the shot mass. But, in concert with reductions in recoil, energy on target will be less. Felt recoil can be reduced to some extent by the internal ballistics of the shells chosen (everyone should try Federal papers at least once).

Velocity is definitely a factor to be considered. I've known elite level Skeet shooters who, given a mystery load at Station 2, can tell you the shell's velocity by the way the high bird breaks. My friend, BigJimP, is an advocate lighter quicker loads; but, he shoots a lot of passing shots where the quicker loads work better than heavy ones. For your short yardage trap, heavier and really slow loads my be your key to less recoil and higher scores. As your yardage increases, you'll want to switch to 7-1/2 shot and faster loads.

BigJimP
March 20, 2009, 12:23 PM
I have about 10 cases of new factory Remington Nitro's 1 1/8 oz, of 8's, at 1300 fps .......

When I need some new hulls - I give them to my son to shoot in an Over Under - ( and threaten him, if he drops any of them in the dirt..... I'll tell his wife he's a clutz ....) / someday I'll tell him why I let him shoot those spiffy gold shells ... ( or maybe not )...

He's 30 years old / he's reloaded with me since he was about 10 .....you think he might have figured it out by now .....

1 1/8 oz at 1300 fps - will flat out rattle your fillings ...in a solid action gun.

zippy13
March 20, 2009, 12:47 PM
I have about 10 cases of new factory Remington Nitro's... 1 1/8 oz at 1300 fps - will flat out rattle your fillings.
And, you have 10 cases of filling looseners because...
(yeah, I know, you like the color)

Rampant_Colt
March 20, 2009, 01:03 PM
Difference in recoil between 1 ounce and 1-1/8 oz trap load? Barely noticeable...It depends on the "Dram Equivalent", or powder charge.

Pay attention to the "Dram equivalent" as much as the shot weight. Not trying to confuse you, but a 1-1/8oz 2-3/4 Dram trap load will kick about the same as a 1oz 3 dram load. Make any sense? Confused yet?
The term Dram is an old-fashioned way of measuring powder weight. More Drams= more powder.

For lightest recoil use a 1oz 2-3/4 dram load
Heaviest recoil [with respect to trap & skeet shooting] will be from the 1-1/8oz 3 dram load.

Shot size does not figure into recoil

Perhaps after 250 rounds in a lightweight shotgun you'll notice a difference in recoil.

BigJimP
March 20, 2009, 01:26 PM
Ok, Zippy ....

I have 10 cases of Nitro's because - you never can tell when we will need to invade Canada and Mexico ..... and I need to be ready ...

- and I got them for $ 25 a case .... ( a few years ago )

- and when I was shooting a lot of sporting clays every weekend - I used to carry 1 box of the Nitro's ( in case they threw one of those ugly 60 yard crossers out there ....that I had to catch up with ...) on my cart.

- and if 1 extra case is good / 10 is just Better ....

- because its a father's perogative to teach his kids a lesson about recoil - I had Keith shoot up a couple of cases for me last year ......(it's his mother's fault ...the ex-wife ...)... I swear I didn't drop him when he was little ....

GuyS
March 20, 2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks all. This is pretty basic I guess but I've only shot pistols and am just now getting into shotgunning. I looked at the boxes and it states 1145 fps for the 1 and 1/8 ounce and I beleive 1180 fps for the 1 oz. It seems negiligible but it appears there is a lot that goes into recoil. I felt very little recoil using the 1 and 1/8 ounce shells.

I do have a rem 870 express tactical which Ihaven't shot yet. I can only use slugs at the range I go to so I'm sure felt recoil willbe more significnat no?

oletymer
March 20, 2009, 02:27 PM
Yes!

ilmonster
March 20, 2009, 03:29 PM
In the same vein as shells for clays, most shotshell makers (remington, federal and winchester) make reduced recoil buckshot and slug loads too. I've shot Remington 1 oz. reduced recoil slugs from my 870P and they are quite pleasant to shoot. Shooting a full power 1350 fps slug in an 870 is quite a whollop. No need for that hot a load if you use them for home defense vs. hunting. Doesn't need to go through the perp, every wall in the house, and into the neighbors house! Remington and Federal reduced recoil 00 buck loads are also real nice to shoot and pattern great in my two pumps (870 & supernova).