PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Magazines

BigJimP
March 16, 2009, 01:30 PM
I know we're a mixed group here - some target shooters, hunters - and some tactical guys....

But for people that are more into Target Shooting - and Target Shotguns - if you haven't seen it, check out "Shotgun Sports" magazine - or go to shotgunsportsmagazine.com ( I have nothing to do personally with the magazine - other than just being a subscriber for a long time ).

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/

Its $5 an issue is you pick it up on a newstand / or about $ 30 a year for a subscription - its published monthly - and in my opinion its worth every penny.

They have a number of regular contributors - Johnny Cantu is editor - and he contributes as well - nice guy / and knowledgeable. Letters to editor are worth the money alone usually / but this month there is an article on:

"how to calculate lead" by Peter Blakely a big time coach and instructor in Dallas
/ an interesting article of barrel ribs
/ a review of the Browning BPS 16ga
/ Recoil reducers from Ed Clapper
/ the Aloof boys ....

I think its a good read ( and the advertisers, and the articles - will be some of the things we discuss on here from time to time ). Items like Gracoil, G squared, recoil reducers, Jones Pads, Comp N Choke, Blaser shotguns, Krieghoff, training DVD's, Hastings barrels, a number of premium gun dealers for new and used guns Pacific Sporting Arms, Seminole Gun Works....

There are other specific magazines out there for Skeet, Sporting Clays, etc - but I think this magazine is pretty well rounded - covering it all over a 12 month period.

oneounceload
March 16, 2009, 01:58 PM
Another good one is "Shooting Sportsman".....6 issues run about 30-35 a year.

Articles by Bruce Buck, Michael MacIntosh, Douglas Tate, and Chris Batha, among others....plus it has some GORGEOUS eye candy in every issue's ads.....While geared a little more to wing shooting, the reviews and instructional articles are very good as well.

www.shootingsportsman.com, IIRC

Waterengineer
March 16, 2009, 05:50 PM
Yep, I've looked/read both of those. Each has their very specific niche in the specific niche of shotgunning.

One additional rag that had 4 quarterly publications per year is "Double Gun Journal." It is a little on the expensive side but worth it for the content and the excellent photographic material.

It is decidedly for the upper crust of the shotgunning world with their esoteric guns, etc. Also, typically, there is way too much tweed, knickers and barn boots for me. However, the reason I read it is because of the comparatively scholarly articles on the history of shotguns and their thorough treatment of the different manufacturers, engravers, etc.

An example is in the Autumn 2008 edition there was an outstanding article on the history of Browning Citori.

1911 Shooter
March 16, 2009, 09:39 PM
have had shooting sportman & shotgun sports. the eye candy is outrageous at Shooting Sportsman, if I just had millions of $$$$$$$$$$$

zippy13
March 17, 2009, 02:46 AM
For the serious trap and Skeet shooters, there's the ATA and NSSA house organs: Trap & Field and Skeet Shooting Review.