PDA

View Full Version : Shot Shell Help

Sturmsoldaten
March 15, 2009, 02:17 PM
ok so i am not really new to shotguns but i am still a n0b when it comes to the different types of shot shells. birdshot, buckshot, slugs, all that specialty crap. so here are a few question on use of shot

B
BB
T
steel vs lead
different weight
shell size

like i wanna stock up on some 3 inch 1 1/4 ounce T steel shot for the zombie apocalypse (cause we all know that it will happen its just a metter of when) and would that shell be a good defensive round? i know it isnt specificly made for that but can it be used? will that shell take down an undead or crazed human from within 25 yards?

hogdogs
March 15, 2009, 02:35 PM
I am a very simple, utilitarian redneck.
IMHO steel is only for waterfowl hunting due to regulations.
The b, bb, bbb and t is fancy stuff for finite detail minded hunters for specific game and conditions.
I need only 71/2, 6, a few 4 in bird shot numbers. Then I am stuck with #3 buckshot for HD in the 20 gauge with a few slugs fer deer. and I keep 00 buck and slugs for the 12 gauge...
Brent

OLNfan
March 15, 2009, 08:53 PM
Well for the undead lol I guess I would use the same for defense as I would for a living person. In theory shot 1, 2 would work but I agree steel shot is waterfowl only as hogdogs metioned.

I would go 000 buck shot. 000 pellets are equielvent to a 36 caliber chunk of lead with 6 pellets. 00 buck shot I think is 33 caliber chunk of lead with 8 pellets. The 00 buckshot is pretty popular cause its a great chunk of lead, with a great amount of pellets. So I would stay between those regions or a slug.

Steel, being significantly less dense than lead is a weaker shot. The steel for take down? it will hurt like a son of a bitch, and would penetrate the skull.

I went out a week ago and did balistic test with slugs and 00, 000 buck shot. and slugs. at a target the size of regualr piece of paper giving you rougly a head shot target. I used 5 inch think of paper taped and 2 inch think wood on either side and duct taped it (making an oreo kind of thing)
000, 00 buck shot: both only got maxmium of 5 pellets in it at 30 yrds with 1-2 of them not going through the entier target.
000, 00 buckshot: at 50 yards only 1-3 hit the target and none went through.
as for the slug I stopped shooting at 80 yards cause it was getting to tiny lol.

I was using an ithica feather light 12 gage that had 3 inch cut off its barrel so I could use slugs so its like a 27 inch barrel now using 2 3/4 shells. Also a mossberg 500 (with retractable stock) and using 3 inch shells. I found no difference between the two calibers partly cause my mossberg is a 14 inch barrel. so it scatterd a little quicker then my Ithica. But I was hitting head shot size targets at 80 yrds with the slugs. with both guns.

I was a little upset I always thought buckshot was soo badass but its kinda weak. were you mentioning steel cause you think it might work well? Cause if buckshot wasnt giving the performace I liked steel most certinaly wont give you the performance you want.