View Full Version : Shot Shell Help

March 15, 2009, 02:17 PM
ok so i am not really new to shotguns but i am still a n0b when it comes to the different types of shot shells. birdshot, buckshot, slugs, all that specialty crap. so here are a few question on use of shot

steel vs lead
different weight
shell size

like i wanna stock up on some 3 inch 1 1/4 ounce T steel shot for the zombie apocalypse (cause we all know that it will happen its just a metter of when) and would that shell be a good defensive round? i know it isnt specificly made for that but can it be used? will that shell take down an undead or crazed human from within 25 yards?

March 15, 2009, 02:35 PM
I am a very simple, utilitarian redneck.
IMHO steel is only for waterfowl hunting due to regulations.
The b, bb, bbb and t is fancy stuff for finite detail minded hunters for specific game and conditions.
I need only 71/2, 6, a few 4 in bird shot numbers. Then I am stuck with #3 buckshot for HD in the 20 gauge with a few slugs fer deer. and I keep 00 buck and slugs for the 12 gauge...

March 15, 2009, 08:53 PM
Well for the undead lol I guess I would use the same for defense as I would for a living person. In theory shot 1, 2 would work but I agree steel shot is waterfowl only as hogdogs metioned.

I would go 000 buck shot. 000 pellets are equielvent to a 36 caliber chunk of lead with 6 pellets. 00 buck shot I think is 33 caliber chunk of lead with 8 pellets. The 00 buckshot is pretty popular cause its a great chunk of lead, with a great amount of pellets. So I would stay between those regions or a slug.

Steel, being significantly less dense than lead is a weaker shot. The steel for take down? it will hurt like a son of a bitch, and would penetrate the skull.

I went out a week ago and did balistic test with slugs and 00, 000 buck shot. and slugs. at a target the size of regualr piece of paper giving you rougly a head shot target. I used 5 inch think of paper taped and 2 inch think wood on either side and duct taped it (making an oreo kind of thing)
000, 00 buck shot: both only got maxmium of 5 pellets in it at 30 yrds with 1-2 of them not going through the entier target.
000, 00 buckshot: at 50 yards only 1-3 hit the target and none went through.
as for the slug I stopped shooting at 80 yards cause it was getting to tiny lol.

I was using an ithica feather light 12 gage that had 3 inch cut off its barrel so I could use slugs so its like a 27 inch barrel now using 2 3/4 shells. Also a mossberg 500 (with retractable stock) and using 3 inch shells. I found no difference between the two calibers partly cause my mossberg is a 14 inch barrel. so it scatterd a little quicker then my Ithica. But I was hitting head shot size targets at 80 yrds with the slugs. with both guns.

I was a little upset I always thought buckshot was soo badass but its kinda weak. were you mentioning steel cause you think it might work well? Cause if buckshot wasnt giving the performace I liked steel most certinaly wont give you the performance you want.