PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 590 question

honkylips
March 14, 2009, 11:53 PM
Just picked up a used 590. With the magazine full, if I rack the slide pretty slowly, it will not chamber a shell. If I do it at moderate to full speed, it chambers a shell everytime. Is this normal???

Whiteboy67
March 15, 2009, 01:24 AM
Is it getting to the chamber, or falling out of the little elevator piece? If it's getting up the elevator and into the chamber, but not fully chambering, it's because you need to kind of slam it shut. If you lightly pump it, it won't fully close. Use a little more force and it should lock shut.

Idk if that makes sense so basically just pump it harder.

inSight-NEO
March 15, 2009, 04:12 PM
Ive encountered this a few times, not just with my 590 but also with my other shotgun. Just get into the habit of using a deliberate and solid pump actuation so that the delivery system can do its job.

Also, if you havent been made privy to the spring issue some of these Mossys have been having, you might consider replacing the stock spring with a Wolff spring (the generic 40"), cutting it down to 30" or so and then "fitting" the ends using needlenose pliers. The stock Mossberg 590 spring is tapered at the ends and has been known to cause all sort of problems from breakage, binding and in my case, warping and bending within the tube. Im not sure of the reasons, but Im betting that it has something to do with the fact that these tapered ends cause excessive spring movement within the retaining ring and follower. Thus, if loaded down enough, this may allow the spring to contract at odd angles and eventually cause binding, warping or possibly breakage.

But, to get back to your main problem, just actuate the pump like you mean it. Also, if you dont have these already, try purchasing some dummy rounds (such as A-Zoom) and give it some practice so that it becomes second nature.

hogdogs
March 15, 2009, 04:17 PM
Rack the action like you are snatching a hard pulling bulldog off his feet... EVERYTIME...
They need "shucked with authority"...
Brent

rantingredneck
March 15, 2009, 04:28 PM
Indeed ^.

honkylips
March 15, 2009, 07:38 PM
OK thanks. I don't mind racking it with authority, I just wanted to make sure there weren't more issues with the gun.

inSight-NEO
March 15, 2009, 08:55 PM
Honkylips, now that your main question has been answered, I would start considering what I mentioned about the mag tube spring. It never hurts to look at ways of improving what you have, within reason.

colostomyclown
March 15, 2009, 09:23 PM
brent's right, you need to rack with authority and never short stroke. going further, if you know how to disassemble the gun, i'd do that and do a deep clean and lubricate with gun solvent since it's a used gun and has probably never had a fieldstrip. my personal favorite lubricant for the mechanism of a gun is good ol WD40.. if you feel confident enough to learn, youtube "mossberg 500 disassembly" and it's pretty straightforward. but don't do this if you have any doubts about being able to put it back together - it isn't hard but i don't want to give bad advice. as long as you take your time and don't force anything it's a cakewalk once you learn.

and before you change the mag spring, take it out, clean and polish the mag tube with light oil and lubricate the spring with wd40 and see how it does. the wolff springs are supposedly better but i havent even had to put mine in yet because it's seemed to really come into it's own with a deep clean and further use.

hogdogs
March 15, 2009, 09:30 PM
WD-40 is neither a rust inhibitor nor a suitable lubricant. To top this off it is bad for killing primers. I use gun solvents to clean and at minimum I use 3-in-one oil if not a "gun oil"...
Brent

colostomyclown
March 15, 2009, 09:32 PM
killing primers on live ammo you mean? It seems to do a better job on my guns when used LIGHTLY then the Outers does. But you probably know something I do not.

inSight-NEO
March 15, 2009, 09:58 PM
Lubricants, IMHO, dont belong on any item contained within the mag tube, assuming ammo will be kept here long term for HD purposes. Keeping these areas clean and dry are all thats necessary. The only exception might be a dry lube such as Hornady One Shot. Even then, only applied with a patch, followed up with a clean patch for removing excess.

BTW- WD-40 and/or 3 in 1 oil will never touch any of my weapons..but, this is just a personal preference and nothing more.

Whiteboy67
March 16, 2009, 02:31 AM
By 3 in 1 oils, do you mean something like Breakfree CLP that cleans/lubes/protects? Or am I thinking wrong ><?

hogdogs
March 16, 2009, 02:44 AM
http://www.3inone.com/products/multi-purpose/
I use this most often in my shotguns...
It is labeled for firearms. I also use the outers gun oil as well...
Brent

MagnumWill
March 18, 2009, 11:52 PM
Personally i've never had this happen. Just use the rack like it's got a purpose. I've had a 3-incher jam mine up once, and that's the only way to get rid of it. WHAM!

thegunman
March 18, 2009, 11:57 PM
you're wrong

hogdogs
March 19, 2009, 12:02 AM
You have one post... this may be your first forum so I can't say you do or do not know the format...
Who is wrong?
Thanks for clarifying...
Brent

Vergeltung
March 19, 2009, 08:17 AM
300+ shells through my Mossberg 590 SP (since 11/08, get the reference? ;) ), no problems. I was just "schooled" to rack it with a purpose at all times.... no worries. :D

Polar Express
March 20, 2009, 10:00 AM
I also have a defender 590, thanks for the input on the potential problem with the spring, I'll look more into that.

As far as oils go, I have found in many ways, WD-40 actually behaves more like a solvent that a lubricant. It penetrates pretty well, and cleans VERY well.

I like the product, don't get me wrong, but its not my first choice to actually lubricate anything for any length of time.

Just my .02

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but who makes a good quality pistol-grip/buttstock combo for the 590?

hogdogs
March 20, 2009, 10:08 AM
Choate? The butt stock is the same for 500 and 590 guns...
Brent

inSight-NEO
March 22, 2009, 05:04 PM
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but who makes a good quality pistol-grip/buttstock combo for the 590?

Ive heard good things about the Blackhawk "Spec-Ops Knoxx" stock, although these are somewhat hard to come by and quite pricey ($150+). The standard, non-adjustable version of this stock runs around $65+. Ive looked into one of these Spec-Ops stocks myself, but decided that since my Mossberg is used for HD, I would keep it more "politically" correct by retaining the standard stock.