PDA

View Full Version : time for a new HD scattergun.....

MYSTERT85
March 14, 2009, 07:36 PM
alright its time for me to get a new shotgun....but i cant decide what one to get....so since i have let this forum choose my guns in the past i once again put things in your hands:

New Mossberg 500, Fullstock 8 shot 20 inch barrel $310

Used Rem 870 with tube extention $299

Rem double barrel coach gun $330

you have one week to decide my newest gun....:)

Creature
March 14, 2009, 07:49 PM
I much prefer the controls location of the Mossberg over Remington. I wouldnt choose a double barrel unless I was dove hunting.

JohnRaven
March 14, 2009, 08:29 PM
Mossberg 500 hands down...

Remington ~ great gun, but ugly with extended mag tubes

Dubble Barrel ~ extremely B.A., but you only get 2 chances!

bigghoss
March 14, 2009, 08:58 PM
my current one is a 500. even the mavrick 88's are good. I have an 870 but it's got a 26''barrel right now.

I've been drooling overt the norico 870 clones with the ghost ring sights. waiting for the local big 5 to put them on sale.

MYSTERT85
March 14, 2009, 09:10 PM
i feel so popular...this is going to be fun. the nation has total control over what firearm i am going to buy...lol i bet the prez man would hate this... im amazed that there is no votes yet on the coach gun

JohnRaven
March 14, 2009, 09:15 PM
I would love to have a coach gun for a HD gun...but not as my MAIN home defense gun...

I think they really are great HD guns, but having only 2 shots makes it a 'little' iffy... Still, I think they are B.A. and would love to have one either way lol.

oneounceload
March 14, 2009, 09:18 PM
gee, guess I'll go the other way....get a nice Purdey, maybe a Churchill.....possibly a Holloway & Naughton

cut them down if you wish............:D

dabigguns357
March 14, 2009, 09:32 PM
nahhh go with mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel.I only spent $169.95 nib at walmart.
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354/dabigguns357/pic001.jpg

WagonM
March 15, 2009, 12:54 AM
I voted Moss 500 coz I wouldn't be paying $299 for a used 870 while new is only $330 (is what I paid last month - 25077 18" 6+1).

nate45
March 15, 2009, 01:12 AM
Dubble Barrel ~ extremely B.A., but you only get 2 chances!

That would be true if you only had two shells. Are you unfamiliar with the concept of reloading?

Whiteboy67
March 15, 2009, 01:22 AM
Mossberg no doubt.

LoneStarWings
March 15, 2009, 03:03 AM
I recently picked up a Rem 870 Synthetic 7 shot 18" and have been pretty pleased with it, (other than the fact that it kicks like a deranged mule on steroids which is to be expceted of any 12 gauge pump). I've only fired 50 shells through it but the action cycles fine and it has fired every time I've pulled the trigger. Is it as smooth as my 20 year old wingmaster? No, but I'll give it time :)

fiream29
March 15, 2009, 04:20 AM
You might look at the Century Ultra-87. It's an 870 clone with a tang safety. Trigger group still pops out like the 870 and it comes with firesights and chrome lined barrels.

I just picked up one from Centerfire and am pretty pleased with it. Receiver is drilled and tapped and a Weaver base was included. Had both the 19" and 28" barrels in this kit.
No one had the single barrel kit in stock but if you can find one it should be around $150.00.
It comes with black synthetic furniture and sling swivels already installed. The LOP was longer than I prefer so I changed the stock and forearm to Hogues. Seems to be a good shooter so far.
Fiream

Ian0351
March 15, 2009, 04:59 AM
You already have a 500 and you didn't specify a niche need that the 870 would fill (same basic platform as both mossbergs). And double barrel shotguns are awesome, especially for car defense.

Besides, Mossbergs are modular enough that it can probably do whatever you want a pump gun to do without un-doable modifications... ie wear several hats.

MYSTERT85
March 15, 2009, 10:14 AM
i need a new hd gun cause i sold my Moss 500 to my buddy who just got out of the Marine Corps and wanted something for defence

Ian0351
March 15, 2009, 10:31 AM
In that case get the Mossberg... much more versatile platform than the 870, and it's new. BTW there is an 's' at the end of 'corps'.

Semper Fi

hogdogs
March 15, 2009, 11:17 AM
For an increase in price compared to a 5+1 500 you also cut yourself out on replacement barrels for various duties.
At minimum I would have it threaded for accu-chokes to give you some versatility. But a 500 is my choice for HD/SD SHTF stuff...
Brent

Deegle
March 15, 2009, 12:13 PM
Why not buy a new 870 for $299.00? That is what I paid for mine a few months ago. $299 seems high for a used one.

hogdogs
March 15, 2009, 12:24 PM
The only reason I have never considered the 870 line up is the tang safety and perfectly located action release...
Brent

colostomyclown
March 15, 2009, 01:37 PM
dabigguns 357 said - "nahhh go with mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel.I only spent $169.95 nib at walmart."

jiminy crispus there are some real idiots here sometimes

hogdogs
March 15, 2009, 01:43 PM
"nahhh go with mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel.I only spent $169.95 nib at walmart."

you are an idiot
I think calling a person an idiot for the choice of a gun is bit crass...
while folks tried to get you sorted out in your "tossberg" thread none of us that trust our lives with only mossbergs called you an idiot... DID I?
Brent

colostomyclown
March 15, 2009, 02:18 PM
that suggestion was too ludicrous to not pass judgement on. a rifled slug barrel? for home defense? from walmart?

hogdogs
March 15, 2009, 02:22 PM
My mossberg 500 20 was from service merchadise (remember them catalogs)?
A rifled barrel is better then none. If you are good enuff to hit a BG with 00 buck than you will have equal results with the sabot slugs... Also at HD distance the spin imparted on the plastic wad will not make it spread much more and at HD distance, if you can get a bit more spread that is a good thing...
Brent

Kmar40
March 15, 2009, 05:49 PM
I much prefer an 18 inch barrel. Six rounds will do the job unless you live in Peshewar.

rantingredneck
March 15, 2009, 06:22 PM
I voted 870, but probably everyone expected that.

More barrels available in more options for the 870.

inSight-NEO
March 15, 2009, 06:33 PM
The coach gun would be nice, but mainly for novelty. The 870 would give you a broad range regarding accessory availability, but it wouldnt necessarily be a "better" gun vs the Mossy, IMHO.

Frankly, Id opt for the 500 as I believe it has better ergonomics for HD and has plenty of aftermarket accessory availability, if needed.

Besides, Ive heard from far too many people that the recent 870s (the police model not included) have been somewhat lacking.

.351winchester
March 15, 2009, 07:03 PM
"The only reason I have never considered the 870 line up is the tang safety and perfectly located action release...
Brent"

+1 and add an open loading dock. Remmy does have smoother operation and seems more tight, rugged and professional (No Wilson/Nighthawk/et al custom 500s, more likely garbagized set up trailer-park sweepers with ATI products and similar crap) but for reasons above Mossberg works better for me.

OLNfan
March 15, 2009, 07:58 PM
I have a mossberg 500 with a retcatable stock. Easy to handle fun to shoot.

http://www.davesguns.com/serverpics/FirearmsPage/Mossberg-500-Tactical-01.jpg

MYSTERT85
March 15, 2009, 08:11 PM
i do miss my moss but its in good hands...i know what to expect with it...i had the pistol grip on the back and swapped the foregrip with another pistolgrip and a taclight...i put 500 rnds through it before i sold it

inSight-NEO
March 15, 2009, 08:51 PM
Im not sure what the current SuperNova tacticals are going for, but you might consider these as well. Personally, I think they are superior to any model you have mentioned, but Im thinking they will be a bit more expensive. However, and this is the main downside of the Benelli pumps, replacement parts are quite expensive. Its a shame that Benelli quality does not make up for Benelli replacement costs.

So the Benelli aside, as I mentioned before, the Mossberg would be my main choice.

America's1stFreedom
March 15, 2009, 09:07 PM
As others have already stated, I prefer the safety/release/open loading well of the Mossbergs. Having a 500 "turkey" gun for 13 years, I got a 590 Mariner a couple years back for "urban turkey"/HD. lol. Dressed it out with a Knoxx SpecOps stock and Burris Fastfire. In addition to liking the controls on the Mossbergs, it also made sense as most of the 500 and 590 parts are swappable. So, I have a bunch of parts(springs, firing pin, trigger assembly, safety buttons, etc.) that will fit either shotgun. Pretty much everything that doesnt have to do with the magazine is interchangeable.

I dont have anything bad to say of the 870's though. If it works and you are comfortable with it, it's good!

dabigguns357
March 15, 2009, 10:46 PM
I sir am no idiot,so you don't agree with my choice of h/d shotgun,that is no reason to call me or anyone else an idiot.I thought this was a no bashing forum.I choose the mossberg 500 because it was inexpencive plus i got a great discount on it because i work for walmart.So if you have any further comments about a person directly,KEEP THEM TO YOUR SELF.

Now that i have had my rant,the main reason i have a rifle barrel is because it came with the gun from walmart.Further more i have found that buying another barrel will cost almost as much as the whole gun did.

I have another shotgun which is a mossberg 500 in a 410 bore which also came from walmart.My wife puts slugs in it as well.

hogdogs
March 15, 2009, 10:49 PM
DBG, An 18 inch barrel without threaded chokes is 90+/- bucks for a mossberg brand... Then you got 2 nice barrels.
Brent

Cerick
March 15, 2009, 11:28 PM
I love my 870's. I've held, but never fired a mossy.

MYSTERT85
March 17, 2009, 10:36 AM
thanks for all the input...looks like the REM 870 is up...still a few day left though

hogdogs
March 17, 2009, 10:50 AM
Do not be mislead by a vote... Handle both and operate the controls in many positions, even if you need to ask the shop owner for an acceptable back room so other customers are not made uncomfortable... Better to shoot one but...
Keep in mind many of both are owned by folks who do not get on the WWW to discuss such things. And I would wager that there may be more Mossbergs owned by folks with no 'puter than Remingtons. They are known as a more "refined" gun and the wingmaster is hailed as a nice looker and smooth operator. The Mossberg is hailed as a tuff as nails critter gitter.
This vote is actually pretty close as REM vs MOSS polls go. Just like our new president is proof... The right man for the job is not always the one who wins...:D;):cool:
Brent

bestbod85
March 17, 2009, 05:18 PM
"jiminy crispus there are some real idiots here sometimes"

Yeah ummm, the next time you have a thought..... you should probably keep it to yourself.

BigJimP
March 17, 2009, 06:00 PM
Once again the Browning BPS gets no love .... I'm dissapointed ... / the BPS is a heck of a good pump gun ...

MYSTERT85
March 17, 2009, 07:07 PM
Once again the Browning BPS gets no love .... I'm dissapointed ... / the BPS is a heck of a good pump gun ... didnt mean to dissapoint ya im just looking at the 3 short barrel hd shotguns that my dealer has in stock

Ian0351
March 17, 2009, 07:52 PM
This vote is actually pretty close as REM vs MOSS polls go. Just like our new president is proof... The right man for the job is not always the one who wins...
Brent

+1 on both the mossy and the prez.

MYSTERT85
March 17, 2009, 08:04 PM
+10 on the prez

Naterstein
March 18, 2009, 12:34 AM
I voted 870 cuz for the price I think its the best shotgun on the market, due to good history and aftermarket parts available. Nother $50 I would look really hard at the Benelli Nova and make it cower. If I had another $100, I would switch to the Moss 590(a1).

Mike U.
March 18, 2009, 01:36 AM
Nother $50 I would look really hard at the Benelli Nova and make it cower. If I had another $100, I would switch to the Moss 590(a1).

Or, with all that "nother" money, you could possibly, maybe, find a nice used 870 Police Magnum. Or, I should say, an already broken in 870 Police Magnum.:cool::D

Something to seriously ponder.;)

MYSTERT85
March 18, 2009, 08:06 PM
whats the diff between a 870 and a 870 police magnum?

Bear 45/70
March 18, 2009, 10:15 PM
You are paying way to much for the Mossberg. I have never understood why so many think the 870 is a better shotgun than the 500. It cost more, new or used and is no more reliable. I don't like the 870 butt stock either. It fits funny. Oh yeah, why are you comparing a new shotgun to a used one. Of course the used one is cheaper. Question, why is the guy selling the 870?

OLNfan
March 18, 2009, 10:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw h/d shotgun video..

Mike U.
March 19, 2009, 02:21 AM
I should have read hogdogs post before replying.
The guy's a freakin' Shotgun Sage.
Yes, apples to apples, the 870 vs 500 debate is mostly a popularity contest. Both have proven themselves and what it really boils down to is which one fits you better? I can only suggest trying all the available ones your considering and try them for overall fit. It's really the only way to make the call that is correct for you.

whats the diff between a 870 and a 870 police magnum?

The Police Magnum is just a heavier duty version of the 870. They'll both shoot till your grandkids pass them down to their kids.

Question, why is the guy selling the 870?

Because I'm a Remington senior salesman and major stock owner. NOT!:p
The reason is because I personally prefer the 870's feel, it's controls and the way it shoots for me. So, naturally I'm going to steer the man to a gun I'm having good experiences with. 99.9% of recommendations on gun forums have their root in that very reason. And since he's considering adding more money to his search, why not steer him to consider a heavier duty, much coveted shotgun? For myself, I'd take a used Police Magnum before a NIB 500/590 every day of the week. But, that's just me.;)

MYSTERT85
March 19, 2009, 07:11 AM
You are paying way to much for the Mossberg

the price hasnt gone up that much like other firearms in recent days...i paid $300 for my first one over a year ago

Question, why is the guy selling the 870?

because it is a gunstore.......

hogdogs
March 19, 2009, 07:41 AM
because it is a gunstore.......
Dern smart fella... who woulda ever thunk to use a gunstore as a front to sell... GUNS???:p:D
Mike U....
I am far from sage IMHO... I fit more along the lines of the line "Beware of the guy with one gun cuz he likely knows how to use it":cool:
I have done my share of abusing my mosberg and even tried stacking 500-1,000 rounds on the picnic table and rapid fired it trying to make the barrel glow to see just how sorry these mossbergs were... She is still jist about as good as new... jist can't kill the bugger!
Never fired a wingmaster even... just didn't care for the action release location mostly.

Brent

RangerHAAF
March 19, 2009, 09:07 AM
It's a toss of the coin between a Mossberg or an 870 but I wouldn't advocate a double barrel for home defense. I still think about the violent rape scene in the "Prince of Tides" and how the boy killed two home invaders but was almost done in by the 3rd one because he only had 2 shots.

Delaware_Dan
March 19, 2009, 11:30 AM
There's a Winchester 1300 Speed Pump Defender, for sale in The Gun Show section of the forum right now, and it would make a perfect HD gun. If not then the Mossy.

jgcoastie
March 19, 2009, 05:24 PM
I voted 870 b/c that's what I've always had, but if you're on a budget and this is strictly a HD gun, the Moss Maverick 88's ain't too bad. I had one for a while, but sold it for reasons unknown to me at this time... Great little gun, had the 18" barrel I believe, put on a 6 position collapsible stock with pistol grip and it was a real quick handling gun. But with #3 shot it didn't pattern worth a **** past about 15-20 yards, which is why I only recommend it if it's strictly a HD gun, not if it's going to pull double duty as a HD and hunting gun.

kmrcstintn
March 20, 2009, 12:07 AM
to the gent with the Mossberg 500 w/ rifled slug barrel...you are NOT an idiot; you have an excellent platform for humanely and cleanly hunting deer, bear, feral hog, as well as open homestead defense; if you want a security barrel for your Mossberg on a budget then call around to gunshops or gunsmiths and inquire about used Mossberg barrels and if someone has one then inquire about having it shortened and have a new bead sight placed on it;

I was fortunate to find a used Mossberg field barrel (a bit rusty on the outside, but the bore is good) and the gentleman is going to shorten it, clean it up, put on a new bead, drill-n-tap for a swivel stud for $50 to $60; new ones are going for over $100 and alot of places can't keep them in stock or have them on backorder;

if others still want to call you an idiot, then I will be a HAPPY idiot with ya...I got a Mossberg 500 w/ rifled slug barrel; it's a good club to be in ;)

inSight-NEO
March 20, 2009, 12:25 AM
Ahh, the Remington 870 fanboys... ;)

Here is my take:

Higher End:

Remington 870 Police (not the Express)
Benelli SuperNova Tactical
Mossberg 590 A1

Other:

Mossberg 590
Benelli Nova

MYSTERT85
March 21, 2009, 06:58 AM
well i would like to thank everyone for voting and for all the great posts...some people think im crazy for for putting my next gun choice up for a vote like this but i would rather get something that people have alot of experience with...well im off to get my 870 soon...THANKS AGAIN!!!