PDA

View Full Version : Car Gun

Sparks2112
March 10, 2009, 08:09 AM
I'm curious how many of you keep a car gun, and if so, what it is. Up until Ohio decided loaded magazine = loaded gun I had an FAL in the trunk. Now it's an 870 with slugs and 00 buck in a bandoleer right next to the gun.

So what's everyone else have?

KnightZero
March 10, 2009, 08:49 AM
I'm speaking in future tense here, but I do plan to keep a larger handgun in my car, once its roadworthy again.

mnw42
March 10, 2009, 09:51 AM
I don't typically leave a gun in the car. I currently have a damp trunk which limits my ability to hide a rifle. I also travel to PRoNJ often enough it would be a major pita to sanitize my car every time I have to cross the Delaware.

Sparks2112
March 10, 2009, 10:20 AM
I don't typically leave a gun in the car. I currently have a damp trunk which limits my ability to hide a rifle. I also travel to PRoNJ often enough it would be a major pita to sanitize my car every time I have to cross the Delaware.

I feel for you as far as NJ goes. I lived in MA for awhile and it was HORRIBLE to leave my guns in Ohio with my dad. That only lasted about a year though, thank god.

As far as the damp trunk, there are a couple of people that make Dehumidifiers that fit into a rifle case, and can be plugged in every so often to recharge themselves. I'm sure someone will have a link to what I'm talking about.

#18indycolts
March 10, 2009, 11:09 AM
I don't keep one specifically for the car, if I'm carrying then my carry gun goes with me at all times. Last thing I want is my car broken into and my gun stolen.

bigghoss
March 10, 2009, 11:19 AM
if I could I would keep and extra pistol in my truck, but I work on an army base and that would be illegal so I don't.

Maromero
March 10, 2009, 11:21 AM
With car thefts being so common now a days, it is foolish me thinks to leave a gun in a car unattended. I'm 38 years old and in 22 years of driving I've had two cars stolen and I've lost track of the number of breaking's of windows to steal change, Cd's, car stereo and pretty much everything left inside. And this happens daily and weverywhere arround here. Parkings, malls, streets, driveways, ext. If it's not like this on your neck of the woods, more power to ya.

Ultimately you are responsible for your weapons. I do place my CCW b/t the seat and the center console when driving. Cover it over with a piece of cloth if needed.

Don H
March 10, 2009, 11:33 AM
No, I don't leave a gun in the car. With the number of car burglaries and car thefts committed daily, I think iit would be irresponsible of me to take that sort of chance; arming thugs is not high on my list of things to do.

goldfacade
March 10, 2009, 11:43 AM
+1 on the car theft issue. I CCW but my Honda doesn't.

Sparks2112
March 10, 2009, 11:45 AM
I've got a very well hidden electric cut off in my vehicle, and the case the shotgun is in is bolted to the inner fender of my trunk and is locked, so, I'm not too worried about the gun getting anywhere. :)

Playboypenguin
March 10, 2009, 11:48 AM
As most already know, I keep a gun inside a safe in my truck. The safe is securely mounted to the frame of the vehicle and makes leaving a gun inside pretty safe. Currently it holds my H&K USPc.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Various/TruckGun.jpg

Playboypenguin
March 10, 2009, 11:53 AM
With car thefts being so common now a days, it is foolish me thinks to leave a gun in a car unattended.
+1 on the car theft issue. I CCW but my Honda doesn't.
No, I don't leave a gun in the car. With the number of car burglaries and car thefts committed daily, I think iit would be irresponsible of me to take that sort of chance; arming thugs is not high on my list of things to do.
Then I guess it would be safe to assume that you three gentlemen would never keep guns in your home...correct? What with burglary rates actually being many times higher than car theft rates in most areas.

kraigwy
March 10, 2009, 11:55 AM
I dont carry a car gun, I always have my pocket pistol in my pocket.

There was a time though. When I was with APD, I was on the bomb squad, we had to carry emergency equipment in our patrol cars. One night I was at a dinner party and got called out. I was being sent to provide EOD assistance for a drug raid where the place was supposed to be booby trapped. Anyway, while in route I remembered I didn't have my service revolver and I wasn't off duty carrieing (though we were suppose to). At the time I was also in the NG and carried some shooting supplies in my car. I stopped and did a search, I fould a 22 pistol and 2 rounds. But at least I was armed.

After that I put a spare service revolver in my glove compartment which stayed there until I retired.

goldfacade
March 10, 2009, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE]Then I guess it would be safe to assume that you three gentlemen would never keep guns in your home...correct? What with burglary rates actually being many times higher than car theft rates in most area/QUOTE]

I've yet to see someone hotwire and drive off with a house.:) I didnt say it was a bad idea but cars are mobile, which means a gun in a secure locked, unbreakable...would be mobile also.

Also, in the Tampa Bay area car theft is crazy high.

Sparks2112
March 10, 2009, 12:03 PM
Then I guess it would be safe to assume that you three gentlemen would never keep guns in your home...correct? What with burglary rates actually being many times higher than car theft rates in most areas.

Oh Snap! :eek:

:D Seriously though, something can get stolen from you wherever you go. Once you take reasonable precautions, you might as well not worry about it past that.

Playboypenguin
March 10, 2009, 12:04 PM
I've yet to see someone hotwire and drive off with a house. I didnt say it was a bad idea but cars are mobile, which means a gun in a secure locked, unbreakable...would be mobile also.
And you have never seen anyone enter a house and leave with another persons belongings? That happens way more often than someone driving off with another persons car. So by your very own logic, leaving a gun in your house is less safe than leaving it in your car.

Don H
March 10, 2009, 12:09 PM

I suspect that more cars are broken into or stolen than are safes in a given period of time. Also note that in my response I referenced what was comfortable to me, not anyone else. You, of course, are free to do what you are comfortable with, just as I am free to do what is in my comfort level.

Playboypenguin
March 10, 2009, 12:12 PM
I suspect that more cars are broken into or stolen than are safes in a given period of time.
That might be true, but that is a meaningless statistic since you would have no idea how many homes even have safes. Fact is, homes get robbed and even the small few that have true safes are still vulnerable. I have never seen a gunsafe I could not get into with common tools from the same houses garage. The safe in my car offers just as much protection from simple theft.

So if you want to play alarmist you will not be able to keep a gun anywhere since those evil bad guys will always be able to get to it.

curt.45
March 10, 2009, 12:13 PM
normally I post a picture of the .30mg on a ring mount in the bed of my S-10 but I don't think you would see the humor in that.

:D

#18indycolts
March 10, 2009, 12:17 PM
goes to show why they should be on you, not locked in a car. My guns are on or near me always.

#18indycolts
March 10, 2009, 12:19 PM
And you have never seen anyone enter a house and leave with another persons belongings? That happens way more often

speaking of meaningless stats...

Playboypenguin
March 10, 2009, 12:23 PM
goes to show why they should be on you, not locked in a car. My guns are on or near me always.
So now we are supposed to carry all our guns with us everywhere we go? :rolleyes: Paranoia sure does run rampant in the gun community.

Dingoboyx
March 10, 2009, 12:25 PM
Install fake, but believeable safe in your car and wire it to an amped up siren that pumps out like 200+ decibels (or sounds like gunfire or an explosion or a dillon minigun) so the BG tippy toes up to your car, opens the trunk, sees the gun safe (which you [ACCIDENTLY] left the key in. When BG opens the safe, all HELL breaks loose. You'll hear it from inside the mall, run out, and just follow the trail of blood (from where he hit his head on the trunk lid) and the matching trail of doo doo along with it?

Could work as a house alarm too, thru a stereo :D

seaville
March 10, 2009, 12:28 PM
I keep a taurus pt 945 in my truck, I can't get to my pocket pistol fast enough sitting with seatbelt. Typically I also keep a rifle in the truck, usually a high cap 7.62x39.

Mello2u
March 10, 2009, 12:38 PM
According to the Department of Justice for 2005 (the last year with stats), there were 29.5 burglaries per 1,000 households and 116.2 thefts per 1,000 households. They do not break down what makes up the theft numbers.

I assume that these thefts include property stolen from outside a home and from a vehicle. Assuming you have a Residential Security Container (RSC) (which is what 99% of gun safes are), you will discourage most burglars from getting those guns in the RSC.

I do not have evidence of the frequency of guns stolen from homes versus vehicles. I think that many more are stolen from vehicles than homes because more gun owners store their guns in RSC at home, and don't have one for their vehicle. I'm guessing that most car guns are in the trunk, the glove box or under the seat.

Table 10. Presence of weapons in violent incidents, 2005
Violent crime
Presence of offender's weapon Number Percent
Total 4,718,330 100%
No weapon 3,181,460 67%
Weapon 1,146,870 24%
Firearm 419,640 9%
Knife 286,810 6%
Other 386,440 8%
Type not ascertained 53,990 1%
Don't know 390,000 8 %

I was surprised to see that of all violent incidents only 9% involved firearms, and 67% did not involve a weapon at all.

goldfacade
March 10, 2009, 12:38 PM
Everything we do in this life involves risk. If you believe that the risk is worth the reward/failure, then by all means take the risk. Again I didn't say it was a bad idea. Breaking into a home safe in a home is a bit more work than driving off in someones car with a safe in it. To me it is not worth the risk.

To state that home burglaries and more prevalent than auto theft without any documentation is unfounded at best.

Playboypenguin
March 10, 2009, 12:42 PM
I do not have evidence of the frequency of guns stolen from homes versus vehicles. I think that many more are stolen from vehicles than homes because more gun owners store their guns in RSC at home, and don't have one for their vehicle.
Actually, I would be willing to bet it is the exact opposite. I bet more guns are stolen from homes than are stolen from cars by a large percentage. Simply because so many more guns are stored in the home...and you would be surprised how few gun owners actually secure their weapons. Most think a gun cabinet is secure.

#18indycolts
March 10, 2009, 12:44 PM
So now we are supposed to carry all our guns with us everywhere we go?

I'm not the one with a gun safe IN my car.

Playboypenguin
March 10, 2009, 12:44 PM
To state that home burglaries and more prevalent than auto theft without any documentation is unfounded at best.
In the year 2007 home burglaries (which involved breaking and entering) numbered over 2 million. Car thefts where less than half that number.

Playboypenguin
March 10, 2009, 12:48 PM
I'm not the one with a gun safe IN my car.
How is that relevant to carrying all your guns with you everywhere you go? I have a bunch more guns at home than I do in my truck.

Mello2u
March 10, 2009, 01:08 PM
Playboypenguin

In the year 2007 home burglaries (which involved breaking and entering) numbered over 2 million. Car thefts where less than half that number.

We are not concerned with auto theft per se; but with firearms stolen while in vehicles versus firearms stolen while in homes. Auto thefts are stolen vehicles only. Property theft is what includes firearms stolen from vehicles and property stolen outside the home.

I can't find a definitive source on firearms thefts from vehicles versus homes.

I recently got one of these pictured below for when I can not carry my pistol into a courthouse or post office or such.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/farwalker/cargunsafe.jpg

Don H
March 10, 2009, 02:19 PM
PBP,

Sorry, but in my personal experience, my guns in a safe in my home are far less likely to be stolen than if in my car. Your experience, of course, may vary, but it's my experience that will guide my choices.

isanchez2008
March 10, 2009, 02:48 PM
I didn't vote. I would have voted, "No but would if I had a safe in my truck"

Playboypenguin
March 10, 2009, 02:49 PM
Sorry, but in my personal experience, my guns in a safe in my home are far less likely to be stolen than if in my car.
How many guns have you had stolen from a safe inside your vehicle and how many from a safe inside your home?

#18indycolts
March 10, 2009, 02:56 PM
a gun in a safe in a car can be stolen a lot easier.

Maromero
March 10, 2009, 02:59 PM
How many guns have you had stolen from a safe inside your vehicle and how many from a safe inside your home?

Now you are just getting cute.

The point is, and I know you get it, that the gun safe in your car can be moved along with the car to another location and the gun eventualy retrieved. Well of course if you have a kill switch, and an alarm system or a Low-jack with GPSS installed in your car, plus a safe, I guess you can responsibly leave a gun in your car unattended. :barf:

Safes in a house are/should be bolted to the structure and they are not easily removed from the premises.

Playboypenguin
March 10, 2009, 02:59 PM
a gun in a safe in a car can be stolen a lot easier.
What information are you using to back up that statement? The vast majority of car burglaries tend to be smash and grabs.

#18indycolts
March 10, 2009, 03:05 PM
that the gun safe in your car can be moved along with the car to another location and the gun eventualy retrieved

+1

#18indycolts
March 10, 2009, 03:06 PM
What information are you using to back up that statement? The vast majority of car burglaries tend to be smash and grabs.

and what info are you using to back this up?

Maromero
March 10, 2009, 03:25 PM
and what info are you using to back this up? What information are you using to back up that statement? The vast majority of car burglaries tend to be smash and grabs.

and what info are you using to back this up?

If you think leaving a gun unattended inside a car safe is responsible? Penguin definitely thinks so. Fine. No beef.

IMHO it's irresponsible if additional safety precautions are not taken, which I personally not willing to take ($) and choose to CC the gun with me all the time.

Sparks2112
March 10, 2009, 03:33 PM
Can we be nice about disagreeing with one another please? The thread is about whether or not you keep one in your car, not whether or not it's stupid to do so...

goldfacade
March 10, 2009, 03:38 PM
The thread was going as you had planned until someone had to validate their position by telling everyone who doesn't carry an extra firearm in their automobile that their reasoning is invalid.

Careby
March 10, 2009, 04:00 PM
I carry an M1 carbine locked under the back seat of my truck. I would have to exit the truck to get to it, and it would take me a few minutes. So I bought a "console vault" for the center console. I like it but most handguns won't fit in it, so I had to buy a new pistol. Any reason to buy a new gun is fine with me. Neither weapon is carried for spur-of-the-moment use, for that I'll need something on my person.

Dallas Jack
March 10, 2009, 08:28 PM
I do not leave a gun in the car unless I am going into someplace that guns are not legal to carry (courtroom, school, Federal buildings...) My cars have been broken into 4 times and between me and my son we have had 1 Blazer and 1 motorcycle stolen. If I kept a gun in the car I would be minus 5 guns. If I kept a gun in a secured safe in my car I would still be minus a least 1 gun.

On the other hand my house has never been burgled. May have to do with the security I have. And if it was, my guns (except our carry guns which are on our hips and a shotgun by the bed) are in the gun safe.

Doesn't make any sence to compare home and car security, apples and oranges. I know of 3 firearms stolen out of cars, and 7 that have been stolen (closet, under bed, in the corner...) from a home. The fact is no place is 100 percent safe. I just do what I can to increase my odds of keeping my stuff.
Dallas Jack

hoytinak
March 11, 2009, 03:50 AM
I keep a Glock 17 in my truck 24/7 and a Mini-14 in there quite a bit when I'm running around the farm.

Ben Towe
March 11, 2009, 04:48 AM
I usually try to keep a shotgun riding shotgun:D if I'm not going to be in an urban area for any length of time.

Kmar40
March 11, 2009, 06:25 PM
A car burglary, huh?

troy_mclure
March 11, 2009, 09:02 PM
i used to keep a mossy 500 loaded with 00 on my rear seat of my truck(with the seat folded up), but i downgraded to a few extra mags for my xd.

Rmac58
March 12, 2009, 02:20 AM
My car gun is easily accessible, by me. I'm not sure what good a pistol in a safe in the trunk is.
Yeah, cars are stolen routinely, mine, not so much.

Re4mer
March 12, 2009, 12:21 PM
I keep the gun on me at all times. I am leery about leaving anything of value in a car since mine was broken into and the last thing I want is to come up on a thief that is holding my gun.

mark_justmark
March 12, 2009, 01:17 PM
+1

#18indycolts
if I'm carrying then my carry gun goes with me at all times.

Stevie-Ray
March 12, 2009, 01:51 PM
Generally unecessary for me as I'm the only one that drives, and I always have at least one on me at all times.

skydiver3346
March 12, 2009, 02:26 PM
There are a number of places that I am not allowed to conceal carry (due to regs on my conceal carry permit = (schools, bar, sporting events, court, etc etc). So, if you carry all the time, you can't go in these places. What do you do with your weapon?? You leave it in your vehicle so you can go into certain areas and not be breaking the law. His idea about a safe for his carry gun is a great idea and wish I knew where I could get one myself. As it is, I lock it in my glove compartment for the time being when I am not carrying, but I realize that is probably the first place a bad guy will look when he breaks in my car/truck. Maybe I should place it in the trunk until I can get a safe for my vehicle?

ftd
March 12, 2009, 02:35 PM
I don't have a carry permit, yet, and I only have one gun, for HD. so except when I am tripping back and forth to the range I don't have a gun in my car. I don't plan on carrying a gun on my person even after I get the permit (I don't go out all that much), but when I am legal and after I can afford another gun I would like to have one in my car, in case I feel a need for it as I enter my house.

Bricker
March 12, 2009, 03:11 PM
I also ccw, so when I get in my truck, my gun is there also. When circumstances dictate, (Post Office, PG's, etc.), my gun resides in a gun safe in my truck. Otherwise it is ready to be rapidly deployed.:D

Nnobby45
March 12, 2009, 03:57 PM
So now we are supposed to carry all our guns with us everywhere we go? Paranoia sure does run rampant in the gun community.

It didn't run rampant with Reginald Denny. Or with folks in Las Vegas (a little closer to home for me) who suddenly found themselves being dragged out of their cars and beaten---never new what hit them.

My "car gun" is an M1 Carbine or an 870. No, I don't always carry one with me when driving around near home--but maybe I'd be smarter if I was a little more paranoid. Travelling is a different matter.

The pistol I carry is for SD no matter where I'm at. I don't classify it as a car gun.

2cooltoolz
March 12, 2009, 06:06 PM
Nope..I keep a pocket gun. I've had quite a few auto break ins over my 50 something. I don't want to walk up on a guy holding my gun.

#18indycolts
March 12, 2009, 08:22 PM
schools, bar, sporting events, court, etc etc). So, if you carry all the time, you can't go in these places. What do you do with your weapon??

If I know I'm going to these places then I won't carry at all.

Stevie-Ray
March 13, 2009, 03:56 PM
So, if you carry all the time, you can't go in these places. What do you do with your weapon?? You leave it in your vehicle so you can go into certain areas and not be breaking the law. I keep a lock box in my vehicle in case a problem arises with carrying in a specific location. The gun is not kept in there, it is only put in there for those uncommon and specific situations. It comes right back out and is on my person at my earliest legal convenience. It never spends more than an hour or so in the vehicle, unless it's on me. I don't particularly like to leave a weapon in a vehicle for ANY length of time.

Something similar to this (http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=506915) is available at most gun shops I frequent. Usually around $30

Rich Miranda
March 13, 2009, 04:11 PM
I would keep a car gun but my job has a no weapons on property policy (and a LARGE sign on the fence that says NO WEAPONS, we may search you, etc.).

I may eventually just carry one anyway, but so far the sign has been a good deterrent. :)

4INCHSMITH
March 13, 2009, 05:50 PM
I don't CC yet, but its on the list for this summer. At that time probably throw one of my full size pistols in the truck, in a spot I can reach it quickly.

Dingoboyx
March 17, 2009, 11:35 AM
Hasnt someone shot up the sign yet? :D