PDA

View Full Version : Where to find...

MagSxS
March 9, 2009, 05:21 PM
I'm looking for 2 things for future reference -or, if I can work next week, immediate reference.
Where can I find a cheap (yet solid) used Side by Side? Heck, its in my username, yet I don't have one (I did for about 3 days though :D ).
And what about a Mossberg Maverick? They sell for 177$ at p.o.s Wal Mart, but I was wondering if I could find a used one for cheaper somewhere else?

Thanks

perazzimx14
March 9, 2009, 06:42 PM
IMHO there is no such thing as a cheap quality SxS or O/U. To get any sort of quality gun expect to pay $800.00 plus for a used SxS.

There are a few manufactures that have SxS with a great price point around $500.00 like the Stoeger Condor but they are not what I would consider quality. Most of them come with choke tubes. Any SxS purest would not be caught dead with a choke tubed SxS.

If I was looking for a used SxS I would start looking at Ugartechea boxlocks. They are a gun of reasonable quality and can be had used for $800.00 to $1,000.00.

MagSxS
March 9, 2009, 06:48 PM
yikes! thats far too much, lol.

I wasn't thinking for competition or anything - just for fun, if that helps.
And yeah, no chokes, I'd want to be able to shoot slugs from it.

hogdogs
March 9, 2009, 06:48 PM
The Mavericks rarely sell for less than that even used... Solid gun, not a refined type but solid... The one I cleaned for a guy the other night needs a bit of 320 grit sanding to smooth the action further on the flat solid piece 'tween trigger group and bolt... forgot name of it...
Brent

MagSxS
March 9, 2009, 07:13 PM
ah, gotcha.
I was hoping since they were 177 new, maybe I could find one for 125-150 used.

4INCHSMITH
March 9, 2009, 07:41 PM
For about $330 i picked up a NIB Stoeger Coach Gun at Dicks around last Xmas. 12GA, SXS, 3in chambers, 18in barrels, no choke tubes.

dalecooper51
March 9, 2009, 07:46 PM
If looking for a lower dollar double gun, I would take a look at the Stevens 311.

They are a good quality American made working class double.

Like others have said, I doubt you will find a used Maverick for much less than that price. If you have some gunshops around, check the used rack. I see lots of Mossberg 500's, Remington 870's, Winchester 1200/1300's and the like for around $200.

MagSxS
March 9, 2009, 07:50 PM
OK thanks.
Can the Stevens 311 handle modern ammo?
I know sometimes the older Side by Sides cannot (depending on what the barrel was made of ).

dalecooper51
March 9, 2009, 08:31 PM
I'm not sure about steel, but lead should be no problem. Steel or non-tox is really only used if you are hunting waterfowl.