PDA

View Full Version : when can i buy aluminum safety/trigger assembly for my 590?

colostomyclown
March 7, 2009, 10:55 PM
ive been hearing for awhile about Mossberg making the 590a1 available to the public. so im assuming the parts will be readily available? thats absolutely my ONLY gripe with my mossbergs right now is the plastic safety and trigger assembly. otherwise i am IN LOVE and compltely 360 degrees from where i was a couple weeks ago. even the spring issues have stopped since i polished the mag tube. i foresee a long life from these guns and while i have no problem at all with the 870 or browning bps tactical i am pretty much a dedicated mossberg buyer now! now just need to get my aluminum trigger set and safety...

Katrina Guy
March 8, 2009, 12:26 AM
I called them last year regarding metal safety to replace the plastic one, they will sell you that and the trigger guard also, but will only ship to (or sell to maybe) a licensed firearm dealer, so they told me. I guess they don't want the liability of a mishap / safety issues, i.e., they don't want you putting those parts on yourself.

colostomyclown
March 8, 2009, 12:46 AM
It'd be pretty simple to put those in, especially for any gunsmith. The only complicated thing about the mossbergs seems to be if you're dumb enough to take the trigger assembly itself apart without knowing what you're doing. takedown is a breeze once you learn. i'm going to check with my local guy and see if he'll contact Mossberg and request the parts. Appreciate the info all

hogdogs
March 8, 2009, 12:51 AM
Havlin sales lists the metal safety button...
http://havlinsales.com/default.htm
Brent

colostomyclown
March 8, 2009, 12:56 AM
thanks brent. ill bookmark that in case i cant get it from mossberg. im hoping i can have a reputable ffl or gunsmith just call up mossberg or email them and order it for me and install.

Dfariswheel
March 8, 2009, 06:52 PM
It'd probably be easier/cheaper in the long run to just send your gun in to Mossberg and have them install the parts.

They have the parts, and can install them with no problems.

Katrina Guy
March 9, 2009, 06:49 PM
Where you purchase a product, then send it back to the mfg to put some real parts on it instead of the plastic parts that came with it/ that probably should have never left the factory with said parts on it to begin with.
***!??
Own a Remington 870 HD model and a Mossberg, BUT I can EASILY see why more enlightened folks cut through the crap and go Browning or something.

chuckles
March 9, 2009, 06:54 PM
Brownells sells the metal trigger assembly for the 590. You will have to search their gun parts listing for Mossberg section but they do sell it. Mossberg wouldn't sell me one unless i had them install it. $250. Brownells is about $100+-

Dfariswheel
March 9, 2009, 07:06 PM
Katrina Guy:

That's a nice sentiment, but if you buy the less expensive Chevy it doesn't come with Cadillac parts on it.
You want the Cadillac parts, you buy a Cadillac.

If you want the aluminum trigger assembly on a Mossberg, you don't buy a Model 500 or a 590, you buy their top-of-the-line military and police 590-A1 and pay the higher price for it.

Katrina Guy
March 9, 2009, 07:12 PM
You bought name brand, you came home with something name brand!, none of this half crap, send the product back for the real McCoy parts, sorry, call me old scool, but...
Now-a-days you expect the product to be somewhat crappy and THEN see if the original mfg can help you out with some extra replacement parts at an extra cost. Sorry, welcome to the new world (crap) order. I can see pappy now, yes Chevrolet way up in DEtroit, love the 1957 Chevy I just purchased, only I have an issue with the plastic fins, can I UPS the Bel Air back up to you so you can, if you feel generous TOday, put on some chrome fins!? OH, thankyou EVER so much Chevrolet *breathes sigh of releive*, you just made my day. Rolling my eyes here Katrina Guy is.

colostomyclown
March 9, 2009, 07:13 PM
i couldve ordered a 590a1, but they wouldnt give me a timeframe on it specifically. so i got the special purpose and accepted the fact that i had to put the parts on later. i agree with katrinaguy though, that's how things are these days i guess.

Katrina Guy
March 9, 2009, 07:23 PM
OK *calming down some now-well trying to anyway* LOL,
Why not put out a , oh this is a new idea in America today, QUALITY product and yes, charge more for it, let the Fiachii's or whatever they're called Turkey made or Mexican made or whatever other 3rd world country of origin, buyers continue purchasing their crap, WHY American mfgs have to bend over backward *that's ALWAYS a compromising position!* to accomodate such consumers baffles me, don't lower your standards, rather TRY elevating them so that other gun mfgs envy and try to elevate their standards to compete.
An 870 should be an 870 period!, NOT an 870 express and an 870 Wingmaster. WHat does this accomplish? Yes a secondary market for cheap skates, lets's face it, BUT you the company have just lowered your standards, your company name, your company reputation. WHY? I mean we're not talking 20K automobiles here, we're talking a $300. firearm vs a what, $450. firearm, something to be passed down PROUDLY, something to be proud of?
Silly me purchased an Express HD model foolishly thinking I was back in the day, when a Remington 870 mean Wingmaster....meant excellencence. Just to pull an example out of the hat. I can see why some consumers opt for Brownings and other brands, and I own an 870 and a Mossberg Persuader, so I'm not ragging on America here, just on the new world order, of things.
You know, we're all pals here, glad this provides a place to VENT sometimes *LOL
, LOVE you guys yea!

alloy
March 9, 2009, 07:29 PM
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=mossberg+safety+&_sacat=See-All-Categories

hate to link to ebay, but oh well...i got one of the enhanced brownells on a gun and likey.

Katrina Guy
March 9, 2009, 07:30 PM
so there. LMAO

hogdogs
March 9, 2009, 08:10 PM
KG, The mossberg 500 has been a plastic trigger group and safety tab all along for the most part. It is the mil spec version that got the upgrade. so if they want to cut off the base customer group they could do away with the plastic parts and sell 4-5 hundred dollar guns only.
I have abused my stuff and never an issue with the 500...
Brent

colostomyclown
March 9, 2009, 09:10 PM
is this it? i kinda hate the brownells site for reasons like this. great company, huge selection, terrible site. NO description. pretty sure this is what i need though.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=24369&title=Mossberg%20Trigger%20Assembly#specs

rantingredneck
March 9, 2009, 09:30 PM
I'd like to see some verifiable accounts of plastic trigger guards failing.

colostomyclown
March 9, 2009, 09:32 PM
i can give you a verifiable account of being way more comfortable with a metal one than a plastic one if you'd like, haha. It's not that the gun can't be used with a plastic trigger guard, I just feel better off with the aluminum variant and so do a few armorers in my area that I've talked to. i must be honest that I look at my 590's for completely SHTF purposes, NO MATTER the circumstances that remote possibility may bring. Once they have their aluminum trigger guards and sling setups and possibly a light and have been broken in properly, I'll probably leave them alone for the most part. I'd much rather shoot my Walther G22 or handguns,a levergun or maybe sporting clays with my old new england 20 gauge when it comes to just having fun. Know what i mean?

Katrina Guy
March 9, 2009, 09:48 PM
having plastic parts on a firearm, whether it is better then metal or not, just has the appearence of being cheap, or better put, the mfg company skimping. Hey, I've got a Colt 1911, a Colt mind you, with a plastic trigger...has it ever failed or broken? no, does it make the Colt appear to be cheaper? yes. Would I have paid $675. instead of $630. fifteen years ago when I purchased it,had it had a chrome trigger? YES.
And I find it hard to believe that Mossberg's Persuader would cost a hundred or so more had it had a metal trigger assembly, or trigger guard. If that was the case it would seem like they would never have been able to mfg a shotgun (and compete in the shotgun world) prior to the advent of plastic everything as we see as consumers these days.
In all honesty Brent, it doesn't urp you when, as a consumer purchasing something in the two hundred dollar plus realm, to find cheap plastic parts where once the same product (which sold for typically far less then) had metal parts? It urps me, feel ripped off, even if some plastics are stronger then some thin metals. I guess at some point we'll go to the Home Depot and pick of a skill saw only to find it's all plastic now-a-days...and cost more then the real McCoy ever did. Well, we Americans typically pay by plastic, mind as well purchase products the same *LOL*

rantingredneck
March 9, 2009, 09:52 PM
And all those triggerguards on all those polymer framed handguns in use by LE across the country.........;)

IMO, this is just another worry perpetuated on gunboards.......

If the S does truly hit the F, I doubt my 500 or 835 will fire more rounds than they already have in their history. Also doubt they'll be treated any rougher than they already have been :D.

Katrina Guy
March 9, 2009, 10:16 PM
you're probably 100 percent correct in your assertion that plastic, while cheaply looking, is quite functional these days, I agree, don't like it still but agree with you.

spoolup
March 9, 2009, 10:49 PM
I put a vang safety on mine, sold the original. Cant help with the trigger guard however as I bought the A1.

Slopemeno
March 9, 2009, 10:58 PM
You're way, way, WAY more likely to dent your magazine or barrel than break that trigger guard. I replaced a lot of parts back when I was a smith, but I never saw a Mossberg 500-series trigger guard break. The safety button needs to be metal, though.

Dfariswheel
March 10, 2009, 07:01 PM
People rage about Mossberg and Remington plastic trigger groups and long for the "good aluminum" guards.

Fact is, these trigger guards are made of compressed powdered aluminum, not cast or forged aluminum.
Truth is, they really break much easier than the "cheap" plastic.
Plastic guards flex and return to shape after a blow that will break a powdered aluminum guard.

Sometimes, plastic is better.

As for making the guns cheap, unfortunately, as has always been the case, each company is in competition with the others making similar products.
To all too many buyers, PRICE out-weights anything else, and a company that doesn't offer their products at a price competitive with other companies is soon out of business.

The Mossberg 500 and 590 are their "competitive" models that have to compete with guns from China and Turkey and other countries that have much cheaper production costs.
The 590-A1 is their top-of-the-line premium model, specifically designed to sell to the police and military.
Those customers demand, and are willing to pay for "better" features the average gun buyer isn't willing to pay for.

Probably the finest pump shotgun made is the Remington 870, either the sporting Wingmaster or Police model.
However, due to competition, Remington has to offer a budget gun, the Express with a lesser finish and MIM and plastic or they will lose market share and this can ruin a company.

No one likes it, but that's business, and it always has been.

Katrina Guy
March 10, 2009, 09:09 PM
True, he'd rather by cheap then good...we have been Wal-Marted, that is to say conditioned to buying cheap, cheap cheap cheap...and expecting the product to be produced that way as well.
The way it is / the way we Americans for the most part, are-thus companies must produce cheap to compete...long gone are the days of totally disregarding most imports as cheap and opt'ing for American (made).
What a shame, especially for us Americans who grew up in / remember the day when American made for the most part, was quality built and made.
Agree, plastics now-a-days are stronger then many light medals, hell, hard hats are plastic! That said, what a coincidence that plastic parts are on everything, is this to improve their product OR because plastic is far cheaper to make???
ANYWHO, love you guys in here, we're all pals and while we differ on a few things, we're all red blooded Americans! :-)

hogdogs
March 10, 2009, 09:56 PM
KG, there are some of us that, while liking a low price, seek out certain products. I was emotionally drawn to the mossberg seein' as my first real gun was my dad's old mossberg bolt .410. I did look the 500 over and was satisfied it would be a serviceable firearm for years to come and I have never looked back.
Brent

Katrina Guy
March 11, 2009, 11:20 AM
I have zero dislikes with it! My comments were directed more at American Mfgs in general, not Mossberg only. I have no issues with Mossberg, it's a functional product, while not a Browning or Browning caliber, so to speak, I realized that going in, also I was not prepared to spend Browning type money for a Katrina Aftermath episode again firearm, that is to say money spent on something for an eventuality that I may never experience ever again in my lifetime. Grateful actually that a Mossberg pump shotgun with controls laid out correctly for the user, exist. And, would urge everyone to buy one, good product for the money.
Would I have paid $50. more for metal vs plastic if the shotgun came so equipped that way, yes-without a doubt.
I do however find it bothersome reading some post in here on brand new Mossbergs and other arms, having problems with them, but as stated before, the days of Made in America stamped on something doesn't always reflect quality or quality checked prior to going out the door...different world now-a-days.

inSight-NEO
March 12, 2009, 06:06 PM
I just bought a replacement safety (metal) from Brownells in order to attempt a swap on my 590. Unfortunately, this attempt was halted by the use of the dreaded one-way safety screw Mossberg used to install the thing. I guess then, the metal safety just became a spare part should it ever be needed.

Either way, in terms of obtaining a metal safety lever, this seems relatively easy and inexpensive to procure. However, installing it is another story if dealing with a safety screw. In terms of the metal trigger assembly, I personally see no need for this as the plastic assembly seems tough enough.

Frankly, I skipped worrying about this particular part (trigger assembly) and just used the money toward buying a new 20" heavy-walled barrel instead. Yes, this will probably make the weapon somewhat front heavy, but probably not much more vs the current "standard" barrel w/heatshield installed.

Relatively thin barrels make me much more nervous than do plastic assemblies.