PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying an Engraved 870

syates4
March 6, 2009, 06:28 PM
Just acquired an 870 with an engraved reciever, glossy wood, gold trigger and a light contour vent rib barrel with removable choke. I assumed it was a Wingmaster by the description, but it does not say Wingmaster anywhere on it, just Remington Model 870 in the engraving. Any ideas?
Image here... http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=314857

rantingredneck
March 6, 2009, 06:59 PM
It's a Wingmaster. Magnum capable based on the M suffix on the reciever. Has the flextab as well.

Scattergun Bob can give you a more thorough rundown when he sees this. May want to PM him as well.

zippy13
March 6, 2009, 09:20 PM
Can't tell from the pic -- what's the caption in the scroll work?

johnbt
March 6, 2009, 09:57 PM
The '99 Standard Catalog of Firearms has a pic of that engraving at the beginning of the 870 section.

"In 1996 Remington offered as standard a new fine line engraving pattern on all Model 870 receivers." Then there's a pic "Courtesy of Remington Arms"

Dave McC
March 7, 2009, 01:34 PM
High end Trap and Skeet Remington shotguns come in what are referred to as Letter grades.

Base grade is A. These have slightly nicer wood than standard 870s and 1100s.

B is nicer wood yet. My old trap gun was a TB.

C grade has hand cut checkering and really nice wood.

D grade has the above wood or better, cut checkering in a fancy pattern and 50% engraving coverage on the receiver.

No E grade.

F grade has 100% coverage, exhibition grade wood and so on.

The pic looks like a D grade.

There are also special order guns made as the Custom Shop. According to rumor, the 10 millionth 870 is being sculpted now. I'd like to see it.

HTH....

zippy13
March 7, 2009, 08:39 PM
If it's a D-grade, you're quite fortunate, the trigger and action are probably as smooth as silk.