PDA

View Full Version : How much faster is a semi auto vs a pump shotgun?

Super-Dave
March 4, 2009, 11:57 AM
If you had to fire 6 rounds out of a semi auto aimed at a target, how much faster would this be versus a pump shotgun firing 6 rounds aimed at a target?

That is when putting 6 buckshot rounds on target, how much faster will the semi auto do it versus the pump shotgun?

Maromero
March 4, 2009, 12:04 PM
I'm pretty sure there is not a lot of difference, at least any that practice will not overcome.

fisherman66
March 4, 2009, 12:06 PM
I bet it would allow the shooter to miss almost twice as fast.

a7mmnut
March 4, 2009, 12:12 PM
Pre-Benelli/SuperX3, the old Ithacas, High Standards, and a few others could be pumped furiously with the trigger held back, simulating automatic fire. With the new safety designs added to modern pumps and the aforementioned's world record speeds-a la low recoil loads, there is no possible other way to beat these awesome autoloaders. -7-

fisherman66
March 4, 2009, 12:19 PM
no possible other way to beat these awesome autoloaders. -7-

Maybe for 3 or more shells, but your doubles aren't relying on the gas cycling or recoiling systems.

lipadj46
March 4, 2009, 12:58 PM
Maybe for 3 or more shells, but your doubles aren't relying on the gas cycling or recoiling systems.

Yeah well of course 2 shots at once is faster than 2 shots in a row. I don't think the OP was asking about that. People say they can pump the old slam fire shotguns as fast as a semi auto but have you seen someone bump fire a Saiga 12 with a 20 round drum?

fisherman66
March 4, 2009, 01:03 PM
I don't mean a double ignition. A SxS or O/U is going to get off two shots faster than an auto shucker in equally skilled hands.

have you seen someone bump fire a Saiga 12 with a 20 round drum?

No, not really my thing.

OLNfan
March 4, 2009, 01:22 PM
Semi auto shotguns by far are alot faster but with time and practise you can get realitivly close with a pump. As stated earlyer some shotguns like my itcha 12 gage I can just hold the trigger and pump my slide. I have done it, dont do it often cause I like to aim for what im shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE5i69dayGg&feature=channel_page me with my pump mossberg 3 shots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY0ufo8W8DU and now a semi auto shotgun where he shoots 12 shots in less than 2 seconds

So their is obvoiusly a big difference.

zippy13
March 4, 2009, 01:35 PM
Re-posting?
Wasn't the speed topic exhausted in your previous postings "fast shotgun pumping techniques" of last June and "semi auto vs pump" of a year ago? I'm sure there are many anecdotes about folks who can cycle their pump faster than an auto-loader, but we don't need to hear them all.

fisherman66
March 4, 2009, 01:38 PM
I'm sure there are many anecdotes about folks who can cycle their pump faster than an auto-loader

That's nuttin. There are guys here who can load and fire a single shot faster than an autoloader.;) With God as my witness a few have had the temerity to make that claim. Just don't ask me to dig up the threads 'cause I might get struck by lightning.

Hawg Haggen
March 4, 2009, 01:41 PM
Semi auto shotguns now cycle faster than they used to. I could take a model 12 and not using the slam fire feature keep up with the autos of the day. Older autos are somewhat slow about cycling, not so with some of the newer ones. With someone practiced with a pump the difference is still negligible. I saw a video a few years ago with the pump firing the last round before the autos last empty hit the ground.

BigJimP
March 4, 2009, 01:41 PM
+1 ( what Zippy said ...)

Super-Dave
March 4, 2009, 02:08 PM
My mind wanders from place to place. If I brought this up a year ago I truely do not remember that. Now since you told me. I will gladly read this thread.

partemisio
March 4, 2009, 02:19 PM
If you can control the recoil well, the auto is quite a bit faster. If you can't control the recoil, they are about the same. You will be chambering a new round before you are back on target with the pump if you can't control the recoil. So there is not much to gain since you have a shell already loaded when back on target.

lipadj46
March 4, 2009, 02:19 PM
No, not really my thing.

Not my thing either, the bump firing part. But new gas guns are fast especially compared to my old savage A5 knockoff.

bugs
March 4, 2009, 03:08 PM
If you can control the recoil well, the auto is quite a bit faster. If you can't control the recoil, they are about the same. You will be chambering a new round before you are back on target with the pump if you can't control the recoil. So there is not much to gain since you have a shell already loaded when back on target.

Yep. And the OP specifically said:

That is when putting 6 buckshot rounds on target, how much faster will the semi auto do it versus the pump shotgun?

With a heavy buckshot load, it will probably take a little time to get back on target, so the pump will just give you something to do in the meanwhile. But it takes practice.

colostomyclown
March 4, 2009, 05:30 PM
While the auto IS faster, and while Some may disagree, but I'll take the reliability/resistance to elements and ability to cycle all different types of shot that the pump offers over the semi's rate of fire, but that's just me.

Doyle
March 4, 2009, 07:19 PM
There is a very big difference between simply pulling the trigger as fast as you can to make noise and actually hitting something with subsequent shots. If you want to make noise, then the auto is faster. However, if you want to actually hit something, there will be very little difference. A good shooter with a pump will use the time spent getting back on target to pump in the new shell. By the time you can re-aim, the pumping is done.

Katrina Guy
March 4, 2009, 07:29 PM
Yes it's true, I've seen it on television before, a guy, a MASTER at it, can fire off a single action revolver (Ruger Blackhawk type) faster then anyone else can with a semi auto pistol, however for the REST of us, a semi just about anything is lighting faster then a manually ejecting/rechambering, beit a shotgun, a rifle, a handgun, I mean c'mon already with these silly tread topics.
Why, I might add, why most police depts have switched to semi auto handguns rather then Ruger blackhawks!

rantingredneck
March 4, 2009, 07:34 PM
+1 to zippy and BigJimP.

Deja' vu all over again...........

RickB
March 4, 2009, 07:45 PM
Semi auto shotguns now cycle faster than they used to. I could take a model 12 and not using the slam fire feature keep up with the autos of the day. Older autos are somewhat slow about cycling, not so with some of the newer ones.

In USPSA competition, where speed is king, everyone wants the fastest-cycling gun for competition. An article appeared in the organization's magazine five or six years ago, with tests of all the latest and greatest shotguns. I think a Winchester was the fastest of the new guns, but the fastest of all? Browning Auto 5.

roy reali
March 4, 2009, 08:17 PM
For two shots nothing is faster then a side by side or a stack barrel shotgun. I would also add they are probably much more reliable then any pump or semi auto. They are not likely to jam.

scorpion_tyr
March 4, 2009, 08:23 PM
but have you seen someone bump fire a Saiga 12 with a 20 round drum?

Yes, I have seen it done, but it didn't turn out too well. Stovepiped every other round or so with 00BK. Did a little better with birdshot.

lipadj46
March 4, 2009, 09:30 PM
Yes, I have seen it done, but it didn't turn out too well. Stovepiped every other round or so with 00BK. Did a little better with birdshot.

Sounds unusual, backwards even. A saiga that is not broken in or undergassed (wrong gas setting) can definitely stovepipe on low brass. Sounds like the person needs to get to know their firearm instead of wanking off with it.

jmr40
March 4, 2009, 09:30 PM
I can get off 3 shots with semi in about the same time as 2 with a pump. To me that is not a huge difference in a hunting situation.

roy reali
March 4, 2009, 09:45 PM
I can get off two shots in a double barrel as fast as anyone can get one shot off with a pump or self-loader.

lipadj46
March 4, 2009, 10:03 PM
I can get off two shots in a double barrel as fast as anyone can get one shot off with a pump or self-loader.

You win

s4s4u
March 4, 2009, 10:43 PM
Well, Tom Knapp can break 10 hand thrown clays with a Benelli auto but only 9 with a Benelli Nova pump, and there is nobody faster. So there ya have it 10-9 faster with the auto.

Nnobby45
March 4, 2009, 10:53 PM
Just don't ask me to dig up the threads 'cause I might get struck by lightning.

I'm more worried about your pants catching on fire.:cool:

Of course, that could happen with lightening.:D