PDA

View Full Version : 1870 -1900 period revolver

Visaman
March 3, 2009, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know of a DA/SA revolver that "fits" the 1870 -1900 time period and can handle modern smokeless cartridges?
The reason is that i can use black powder loads in the outdoors season, and smokeless in the indoors season.

I have read that using hot primers help reduce BP fouling, and that it helps to trickle the powder into cases by means of a long drop tube. That compacts it so more powder fits in the cases, and for some unknown reason drop-tubing BP makes it burn cleaner.

Raider2000
March 3, 2009, 10:42 PM
Any Modern Clone of the Colt Single Saction Army revolver & the Remington 1875 or 1890 Single Action revolver's will shoot both Black Powder loads & smokeless loads with no issues to the firearm as long as standard loads are used.

As far as Double Action revolvers are concerned I don't know of any modern piece that would be of the 1870 - 1900 designed revolvers.

kbuck
March 3, 2009, 10:47 PM
How about a Schofield? In .45 Schofield, .44 Russian, or any other caliber. They seem to have been popular back then. Uberti, Etc., Smith & Wesson even offers a "continuance" of their production of the original.

Hawg
March 4, 2009, 02:03 AM
I dunno bout the S&W Schofield but Uberti lenghtened the cylinder to accept .45 Colt and from what I hear they don't shoot bp worth squat, bind up after a few shots. Colt Lightening clone maybe.

Raider2000
March 4, 2009, 05:23 AM
HH:
The Colt Lightning clone is prety much a SAA in a slightly smaller package & the thunderer/lightning grips, not a true lightning.

But then again who would want one that'll break so easily.