PDA

View Full Version : Which type/make shotgun

Yotafan
March 3, 2009, 09:20 PM
I recently recieved my FID and hand gun permits. I am in the process of trying to find the hand gun i want. I am also interested in purchasing a shotgun, but have no clue on what type/make/gauge to buy.

I plan on doing some skeet and trap shooting and maybe try out duck hunting with a buddy that used to do it as a kid.

Any advice / recommendations is greatly appreciated

TIA

partemisio
March 3, 2009, 09:26 PM
I have a Mossberg 500 12 gauge. I have not had any problems out of it. I used to own a Remington 870 that did not have any problems with either. I would go with the 870 because you can get anything you want for it.

joegator
March 3, 2009, 09:28 PM
You can't go wrong with an 870. Probably the number one selling gun of all time. More accessories than you can shake a stick at.

armsmaster270
March 3, 2009, 09:31 PM
I've had both plus a S&W 12ga they are all good guns but I think you will find more 870's in police cars than any other, that speaks for itself.

Yotafan
March 3, 2009, 09:32 PM
Any specific model, they have about 20 models to choose from.

Thanks

rantingredneck
March 3, 2009, 09:35 PM
You didn't specify a price range. Also what is your experience level with firearms in general and shotguns in particular?

IMO, a 12 gauge is best all around simply for the ammo selection. That being said 20's and 16's will kick less in many cases if you are recoil sensitive. That being said, for waterfowling a 12 will give you more lead with which to hit your target.

For a beginner, pumps and doubles are very user friendly/low maintenance. Autos aren't terribly complicated, but moreso than the others. Still easy to learn though.

Pump: Remington 870 is hard to beat. Mossberg 500 is good too. Browning BPS is nice from what I hear.
Double: Someone else will have to weigh in as I'm not terribly well versed here.
Auto: I like Remington gas guns (1100-11/87). Inertia guns are good but the recoil feels weird to me (what little I've shot them). I'll let others weigh in there as well.

Welcome to TFL.

hogdogs
March 3, 2009, 09:41 PM
for the requisite you mention, I would say stay away from the express version of the 870... bit the bullet and buy a real "Wingmaster" or for a mossberg I am thinking 835 pump capable of 3 1/2 inch as well as shorter...
http://www.proguns.com/images/mossberg-835pump.jpg
Brent

partemisio
March 3, 2009, 09:42 PM
Forgot to mention. If you can afford it, I would get the Benelli M4. http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php

Best firing shotgun I have ever fired. There is a reason our special ops units prefer it. Every SEAL(I'm a SEAL hopeful so I talk to them whenever I can) I have talked to says it is the best shotgun they have ever fired also.

Yotafan
March 3, 2009, 09:46 PM
I have shot handguns, rifles and shotguns a couple times in my life but i cnsider myself a noob. Once i purchase a handgun and maybe a shotgun i will take a saftey course or two. I am not really worried about the 12ga kick as i am pretty big guy 6'2 250lbs+.

I like the price range of the 870 <=$500 since this will be my first shotgun i will need to purchase all other items as well. Cleaning kits, travel case, saftey equipment, and other things i really don't know about yet.

I am interested in getting into shooting as a hobby so i am content with starting off small and pending how i get into it i know it can get expensive but i understand that.

rantingredneck
March 3, 2009, 09:47 PM
The 835 is a nice gun. I've had one for about 12 years or so now and have killed lots of game with it. I've come to the conclusion that 3 1/2" shells are overrated for Deer and Turkeys. I do not waterfowl hunt so I can't be of any help there. Given non-tox requirements the extra payload may be some benefit.

My 835 has basically become the loaner gun for the nephews who want to prove how manly they are with 3 1/2" ammo. They can have all they want.....:D.....but they buy the shells themselves........;)

The express 870's get a bad rap around here, and it's true they are not as nice as Wingmasters. Still good guns though. Both of mine have given great service.

rantingredneck
March 3, 2009, 09:53 PM
For under 500 you are most likely looking at pumpguns. Not too many autos or doubles in that price range that will be of very good quality (though I bought my 11-87 used for 400 with 2 barrels).

In the pumpgun category under 500.00 you are basically looking at the 870 or 500/835. Some import choices, but none I would recommend. The BPS will be a bit above your price point I think.

Given your parameters I'd recommend you try out the 500 and 870 and pick the one that fits you best. Things like slide release and safety position (are you right handed or left?) matter. Get some help with fit. Get some instruction and buy lots of ammo to burn through.

Yotafan
March 3, 2009, 09:54 PM
Partemisio

The M4 looked really sweet but i can't see myself eventually duck hunting with a tactical shotgun. Maybe my 2nd shotgun i will spend the $1500 but i think i rather get a lil cheaper one for my first.

hogdogs
March 3, 2009, 10:05 PM
I have heard naughty words regarding fit and finish on the 870 "express" and rust being the most common 4 letter word. My 500 is nearing 20 years old and I have "rode 'er hard and put 'er up wet..." It also spent 11 years in evidence room. the only rust is directly related to "NON WATER:o" drinks spilled and not immediately (or ever for that matter) cleaned off. The ability to chamber a 3 1/2 is strictly with water fowl in mind as previously stated the steel shot... It is too light per pellet to dump 'em on their butt minus a perfect hit.
I am not a duck/goose hunter but have read of first hand reports...
the 835 is a very beefy platform as well making the 500 look like a fly weight in strength. Completely designed for the 3.5 rounds. The 535 is a 3.5 capable version of the 500 but you will assuredly feel the wallop of a 3.5 as it is a lighter gun by a far piece!
Brent

partemisio
March 3, 2009, 10:11 PM
Also, I always recommend a pistol grip stock like on the Benelli. They are not much money and can be found for any shotgun listed in this thread. I have one on my Mossberg. They make follow up shots faster, reduce felt recoil, and make maneuvering the shotgun faster. I can take all the recoil off my shoulder if needed by pushing forward on the pistol grip without compromising accuracy.

rantingredneck
March 3, 2009, 10:12 PM
870 "express" and rust being the most common 4 letter word.

There's a 3 letter answer to that 4 letter word and that's CLP. :D.

Yeah, I've read the rust complaints too. Mine have been rained on. I've fell into a creek with one slung over my shoulder. They ain't rusted yet. :D

rantingredneck
March 3, 2009, 10:16 PM
Also, I always recommend a pistol grip stock like on the Benelli.

Looks odd on a trap field or in a duck blind..........

and make maneuvering the shotgun faster

Not necessarily. Also on a Mossberg it detracts from the ease of access to the slide release and safety lever (one of the Mossberg's advantages over the Remington IMO). Pistol grip negates this advantage.

I can take all the recoil off my shoulder if needed by pushing forward on the pistol grip without compromising accuracy.

You're better off pulling the stock in tighter.

goose2w1
March 3, 2009, 10:16 PM
Don't overlook the NEF Pardners. I have a 20 gauge pump and it has never failed. Best bang for the buck in my opinion!

partemisio
March 3, 2009, 10:25 PM
Looks odd on a trap field or in a duck blind..........
No argument here. I care about function, not looks though.

Not necessarily.
Easier might have been a better word for maneuvering.

Also on a Mossberg it detracts from the ease of access to the slide release and safety lever (one of the Mossberg's advantages over the Remington IMO). Pistol grip negates this advantage.
True. I only use the slide release on first loading though. So, it doesn't seem like a major problem to me unless you accidentally pull he trigger after the last round and need to reload real fast to save your life. I doubt I will ever have to take on enough people with it to empty the tube though.

You're better off pulling the stock in tighter.
Was just saying. I have not had to do this. I have just tested it once or twice. I might have to do it if I become a pansy and can't take the recoil of multiple shots on my shoulder.

6x6pinz
March 3, 2009, 10:32 PM
You can't go wrong with the Spartan/Remington SPR453 in 12ga for ducks. It will handle the lightest 2 3/4 load to the heaviest 3 1/2" mag loads. I have had such great success with mine that three of my buddies now exclusively use them for dove, quail, duck and geese. The price is right for the shotgun but has gone up a little with its popularity increase. I know it is a semi auto but sure is a great gun for the price.