PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon Shooting Rabbits

butta9999
March 2, 2009, 11:52 PM
Went for a hunt yesterday afternoon at my dad's work again. Had some good fun bagging 20 rabbits and 1 ferral cat.. Bonus:D

Used my trusty brno again with winchester subsonics. Brought 18 home for the pot, 2 found there way down the burrows.

All head shots apart from 2 which were high chest shots.

By dusk the paddocks and plantations were crawling with rabbits, most i have seen for years.

I only had 6 up until about a half hour before dark. Shot 14 in about half hour, was like the good old days.

Enjoy
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43384&stc=1&d=1236055776 http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43385&stc=1&d=1236055799 http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43386&stc=1&d=1236055818

SKULLANDCROSSBONES65
March 2, 2009, 11:56 PM
G'day. The three little ones on the end don't count. There to small:D.

hogdogs
March 3, 2009, 12:02 AM
Nice bag of dead critters! Looks like the unlucky thing for the black cat was crossing your path!!!!;)
Brent

1Gunguy
March 3, 2009, 12:03 AM
Looks like alot of fun, makes me want to go, but what's a brno? Maybe I'm just dumb:)

hogdogs
March 3, 2009, 12:11 AM
Not dumb! They started a new thing on the net yesterday called "GOOGLE":rolleyes::cool:
I typed in brno .22 and found they are a CZ...
Brent

butta9999
March 3, 2009, 01:02 AM
Brno cz from check republic. Model 452 we know them here as brno sorry guys..

And Skulls the last three taste the best so so so so tender........;) and they have smaller heads to aim at so more of a task....

Hey Hogdogs that bloody cat took a bullet through the eyes and it went ballistic, they are tough buggers.

hardhit
March 3, 2009, 01:19 AM
A nice feral cat!
I love that as a sizzling hot plate with black bean sauce and it looks like a young-in to.

butta9999
March 3, 2009, 02:35 AM
hardhit i dont quite understand that:confused:

Just booked my trip to pig country...... bring on the porkas

Adrian
March 3, 2009, 03:35 AM
I suspect he's making a crack about Chinese restaurants. It sounds like jokes I've heard in that vein before, in any case.

Maromero
March 3, 2009, 03:39 AM
A nice feral cat!
I love that as a sizzling hot plate with black bean sauce and it looks like a young-in to.

Dark humor :D

Noce outing.

hardhit
March 3, 2009, 06:24 AM
Yeah the guys are spot on there just a little humor aimed at Chinese restaurants

All though my wife and I did eat some cat back a few years ago when we were on holiday in Vietnam we only found out when we asked our guide a few day later, they also eat dog on a regular bases.

hunter33
March 3, 2009, 11:12 AM
Nice job. Wish I could bag out like that here :(

hogdogs
March 3, 2009, 11:20 AM
Hunter... the bad thing for us is they have no clue what "bag out" is on the OZ bunnies! Hundreds a day are fully legal!
Brent

hunter33
March 3, 2009, 11:51 AM
Baging out for me would be a couple nutria and a couple of rabbits.:D
To get 10+ rabbits would mean I would have to go to eastern Oregon.

DiscoRacing
March 3, 2009, 11:56 AM
nice:D:D
wish we had that many of them round here...

Big Bill
March 3, 2009, 01:06 PM
I'm surprised you put the feral cat out there like that. Some bleeding hearts may be offended. But, I'm not being critical. There ought to be open season on all feral animals (cats and dogs) at all times. There are just too many of them everywhere.

Bitmap
March 3, 2009, 01:56 PM
Nice harvest. How do you cook them?

I've got to get out and thin them out around my place. Garden season is coming soon and I don't like to share.

SKULLANDCROSSBONES65
March 3, 2009, 03:29 PM
G'day. The only feral animals that have restrictions here are Deer. No firearms allowed in national parks. When I lived in Victoria it was not unusual to get that many rabbits in an evening or a couple of hours with a spotlight. Verry few in my part of Queensland.

12-34hom
March 3, 2009, 05:51 PM
Whats the matta, you ain't going to eat the cat too?

12-34hom.

simonkenton
March 3, 2009, 06:12 PM
Good shooting! I hope you have a big freezer. I love rabbit meat.
Are rabbits native to Australia?

What is a paddock?

SKULLANDCROSSBONES65
March 3, 2009, 06:57 PM
G'day.
What is a paddock?
It is a special place that the farmer sets aside for the rabbits to eat and dig their warrens in. Many farmers even plant crops there to fatten them up. Usually the trees are cleared and fences erected.
Are rabbits native to Australia?
About as native as "White" man is.

hardhit
March 3, 2009, 09:23 PM
Just booked my trip to pig country...... bring on the porkas

Are you heading to Darwin, im off to in july?

hogdogs
March 3, 2009, 09:33 PM
Don't listen to smarty pants d-under... paddock is equal to a pasture or at times... field...
:D helps to have a NZ bud to communicate with!!!
Brent

simonkenton
March 3, 2009, 10:41 PM
Thank you, I thought that Aussie was pulling my leg.

FrontSight
March 3, 2009, 11:52 PM
Someone REALLY needs to photoshop that with a HAPPY HOLLOWEEN!!! banner across the top :D

butta9999
March 4, 2009, 01:09 AM
I cook the rabbits mainly in pasta sauce and have with spaghetti.

Feral cats are the most hated feral here, so i have no problem posting that photo. If i had shot it off someones front door step then i could understand why people would get upset.

This dirty cat was trying to hide the best it could in the short grass. Obvious did not hide well enough:rolleyes:

Hey skulls deer are not classed as feral, just like ducks and quail you need a licence for them. There are als restrictions on numbers for some species of deer and duck. They are classed as game species....

Cant believe you have limits on rabbits, our limit is when you run out of bullets.

Thanks for the replies too:D

By the way i have been to china and no cats but i did see dogs hanging in some windows................:barf:

Bitmap
March 5, 2009, 02:22 PM
Cant believe you have limits on rabbits, our limit is when you run out of bullets.

It's the same in TX. Rabbits here are a non-game animal. To quote from the TPWD annual (for WildIdontknowwhatImtalkingaboutbutIllaccuseyouofbreakingthelawAlaska) "No closed season. These animals may be hunted at any time by any lawful means or methods on private property. Public hunting lands may have restrictions. A hunting license is required."

Further "Non-protected nongame animals and fur-bearing animals may be hunted at night with the aid of an artificial light on private property."

I used to love using a light on a shotgun to kill rabbits in my garden at night. I learned from experience that you need to make sure the rabbit isn't sitting on top of your garden hose when you shoot him.

butta9999
March 6, 2009, 04:40 AM
It actually brings back memories, from when i used to hunt with my dad years ago. We would get 200 pair of rabbits in a weekend hunt using ferrets/nets and 10/22 rugers.

Since the introduction of viruses the rabbit population had declined in Australia but you can still come across pockets of them like i did the other night.

Great fun....

SKULLANDCROSSBONES65
March 6, 2009, 05:07 AM
G'day butta. I used the word feral in the context that my dictionary explains. (Having reverted to wild, or untamed state from domestication.) They may be classed as a game species, but they are not native and they are feral by my dictionaries definition.

Next time I'm in Vic maybe we could get together and clean up a big mob of them little furry critters.

troy_mclure
March 7, 2009, 12:11 AM
man, now im craving me some rabbit!
my uncle had a 10 acre patch of brush in the dead center of a 200 acre soy bean field. talk about rabbits! big and tasty.

cornbush
March 7, 2009, 10:55 AM
Utah has similar laws, jackrabbits are non-game animals, cotton tails and snowshoes hares have a limit of ten. When the cycle is at its peak or on the upswing its not uncommon to get 100 or more in one day. We have had a couple trips where between 6 of us we have gotten over 700 in one day. :eek:

butta9999
March 8, 2009, 02:09 AM
Wow we are getting technical now..... Dictionary. That must mean my grand parents are classed as feral tooo (Not Native)............

I only used the terms stated in the hunting guide for Australia. It says animals not classed as feral Deer, Duck and Quail... I guess it makes sense since you need permits or licences to hunt these animals..

The only licence you need to hunt feral is a Firearms licence...............

Skulls i would be happy to meet up for a hunt. even a shot at our local range.

Another bloody cyclone coming your way too.

hardhit
March 8, 2009, 04:04 AM
I remember those stinking little critters, back in the early 80s when we had rabbit’s plagues in some Areas,
We would go north into the semi arid areas of SA and shoot 40 pairs in a day, all that gutting and stench, On the flip side we had a area the we skinned and gutted and would do drive by’s during the day and spot light this area on a regular bases at night for foxes and cats,
We once spotted a light colored dog about the size of a fully grown dingo it look at us from about 300 meters away and bolted like a gray hound and didn’t stop to this day we were never sure what it was because dingoes were not meant to be in this area.

SKULLANDCROSSBONES65
March 8, 2009, 12:40 PM
G'day, I'll let you know the next tile I head down your way. It could be some time though.:)
The cyclone is as close to me as you are to Sidney:rolleyes:

butta9999
March 10, 2009, 01:00 AM
Where about in Queensland are you, would love to head up there one day for pigs. I only have gone as far as NSW. I have some mates heading to Cunnamulla in a couple of weeks.

SKULLANDCROSSBONES65
March 10, 2009, 06:17 AM
G'day butta, I know, I have been teasing by not saying where I am. Tell your mates that Cunnumulla is only half way to my place. Look on a map, not a lot of choices! I was out today getting 'points' with a local station, they have a lot of trouble with trespassing hunters and campers. I am in the good books with them and it has only taken about 6 years. Yet to go shooting pigs there, but I should be good now.

Foxrr
March 10, 2009, 11:24 AM
Very nice bit of hunting there butta. I can understand Skull being cagey about sharing his properties. They're so flamin' hard to get, and so hard to trust absolutely anyone, even so-called mates to respect your priority of access. Seen it all before.
Pity the poor ol' Yanks trying to understand our Aussie (pronounced OZZIE, fellas!) lingo. We get fed U.S. culcha big-time on t.v. and movies from about the time we're born. Conversely the average person stateside thinks Australia is right next door to Germany.
But don't worry Yanks, we still luv ya. ;)We wouldn't have sucked up so much good ol' US of A stuff, especially the firearms, if we didn't!

butta9999
March 11, 2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks Fox looking forward to more.. And Skulls i had no intentions of poaching any properties off you, just thought if i headed your way once in my life time i might meet up with ya. I know what its like to get on with the local cockies up there and other places.

I have had properties for 10 years and sometimes it feels like you have to tread on water with the cockies.

All in all i was just interested to get the map book out and see where you come from......

cornbush
March 11, 2009, 12:43 AM
butta if your ever around my neck of the woods, although its a damn long way I'd be more than happy to take you on a rabbit safari:)

butta9999
March 11, 2009, 12:44 AM
Cheers mate your not the first bloke too offer from the states.

SKULLANDCROSSBONES65
March 11, 2009, 01:36 AM
G'day butta. No I am not worried about YOU, as the 2700 km drive each way is a bit of a put off. If I new you were heading this far north I might try to organise something. Big clue, from Townsville drive west all day!

butta9999
March 11, 2009, 01:40 AM
Ha ha no probs mate.. Ill take a look Hmmmmmmmmm, im thinking around Mount Isa somewhere.:cool:

SKULLANDCROSSBONES65
March 11, 2009, 02:37 AM
G'day. Anywhere within 300 km radius of Mount Isa is considered Mount Isa. ;)

freakintoguns
March 11, 2009, 03:24 AM
hmmmm Rabbit Gumbo...... need to call my cajun uncle now!

btw, yall aussie can beat the tar outta that crocidile dundee character right?

princess-bluey
March 11, 2009, 03:41 AM
A nice feral cat!
From the photo, it looks like the cat has been nursing kittens fairly recently, maybe ya shoulda looked for em?

Paul Hogan (the actor portraying 'croc dundee') is a scrawny old git, he'd have to be getting pretty long in the tooth, say in his 70's now?

The 'Walkabout Creek Hotel' is actually in McKinlay, which is about 200km from here. Interestingly, they have a toilet pedestal set up in the middle of a parking lot, under a light pole, 200metres to the closest building, with a sign that says "Public toilet for the non-paying customers"!!!

Here is a link on Australian Pubs (http://www.gdaypubs.com.au/QLD/mckinlay.html)you may be interested in.

freakintoguns
March 11, 2009, 03:44 AM
really? thats pretty awesome! id love to go to Australia again someday, went when i was in high school but just sydney. wanted to go to the outback and whatnot. someday!

butta9999
March 11, 2009, 11:55 PM
Hey princessbluey, you were actually right it was milky. My dad works at a zoo he does carpenter maintence stuff. The cats are a menice there getting into the bandicoots, native birds, meerkats, and the small emus that are there. The keepers were rapt when they heard we got a cat..

Plenty of foxes on the property too, didnt have time to look for kittens as the property is about 500 acres. The cat was in one of the paddocks.

Foxrr
March 12, 2009, 05:56 AM
Perth Zoo is raided by foxes. And that's in South Perth, one of Perth's oldest inner suburbs. Apparently foxes prowl the inner city alleys at night. Maybe not in big numbers, but how in hell did they get there at all?! I live near the coastal town of Mandurah. Foxes wander around parts of downtown Mandurah.
Thanks animal libbers, for wrecking the skin trade. You're primarily responsible for the fox explosion.
But then again, foxes are my favourite target:)

butta9999
March 12, 2009, 11:51 PM
I know fox i love shooting the buggers too. My .222 is gun of choice.

Foxrr
March 15, 2009, 12:01 AM
Yeah butta, good ol' fox rifle that triple 2. I'm using .243, bit much gun for foxes but with 62 gr. Barnes Grenades just devastating on reynards.
My son's .223 Weatherby Vanguard MOA does a lovely job.