PDA

View Full Version : Sporting Clays semi

prt
March 2, 2009, 07:05 PM
I'm looking for a semi for Sporting Clays and have narrowed by search down to either the Beretta Teknys 391 (https://www.berettausa.com/e2wProductGroupDetailDropDown.aspx?parentid=4100001522&parentLink=2100000084%3a3100001360%3a3100001381%3a4100001522) or the Benelli SuperSport (http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_supersport_and_sport_2.php), but will consider the Browning Golden Clays (http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=010B&cat_id=011&type_id=244) model as well.

I have shot two rounds with the Beretta and should be able to shoot a round with the Benelli sometime in the next couple of months. I did have a chance to shoot the Browning, but chose to shoot the Beretta instead.

I'm a pump gun shooter, all my life, but it's really hard to compete in Sporting Clays with a pump.

I'm open to suggestions as well as input on all three models.

Thanks.

prt

BigJimP
March 2, 2009, 07:45 PM
I've tested a lot of semi-autos when I was getting ready to buy a semi-auto a few years ago / and hands down I went with the Benelli Super Sport in a 30" barrel in the 12ga. I have since added a 20ga Super Sport ( 28" is the longest they had) - and I bought a used 12ga Super Sport with a 30" barrel about 4 months ago - and sold it to a friend last week that wanted one really badly after shooting mine.

I'm not saying the other 2 are bad guns - because they aren't / but the Super Sport with the comfort tech system in it shoots very cleanly, cycles quickly and is a really nice gun. I keep mine clean and well lubed - but it will cycle light loads ( 7/8 oz as long as they are at least 1200 fps ).

In my area they are selling new for about $ 1875 - the other 2 guns are a little cheaper.

Its not just a Sporting Clays gun - its a good travel gun / and on rainy days, I shoot it for Skeet, etc. When I travel - I'll use it to hunt Quail, shoot Skeet, Sporting Clays etc .... it does most things very well ( I don't like it much for Trap ) - but for casual Trap shooting it is fine too.

oneounceload
March 2, 2009, 07:51 PM
comparing gas guns to inertia is not exactly apples to apples - shoot all of them and see which feels right to YOU. The Beretta appears to be THE auto on the sporting clays fields, but ultimately you need to determine which will work best

Waterengineer
March 2, 2009, 08:41 PM
All three are fine guns as is the Remington 1100. Jim is correct about the SS and Oneounce is correct about statements regarding gas v. inertia guns.

I shot a Beretta Urika for five stand and truly like it. Then I got a Benelli SS, in 20 bore. The SS is a really sweet, fun and easy to clean gun.

Unfortunately, my 17 y.o. daughter has taken possession of the SS so I am back shooting the Urika.

The SS's are expensive but I am looking for a second one.

Bottom line find the one that fits. The SS is super flexible about adjusting the fit.

olddrum1
March 3, 2009, 01:02 AM
Just wondering why you feel you cannot compete with the pump? Are you looking for a slower gun?

prt
March 3, 2009, 09:32 AM
I can do OK with the pump during most Sporting Clays shoots, but we have a couple of shoots each year that include triples.

The ones I shot last time kicked my butt and there were two rounds I could not get the third shot off.

My pump is fast, but not as fast as the Beretta or the Benelli.

Thanks for the info so far guys.

prt

1911 Shooter
March 3, 2009, 05:59 PM
used, excellent shape 391. they have shim kits in the stock to get a good fit for the shooter.

prt
March 4, 2009, 07:32 AM
Yep, very aware of the ability to shim the 391's. But you can custom fit any stock nowadays, and I don't see that many used semi's on the market around here.

prt