View Full Version : What's in your BOB?

March 2, 2009, 10:48 AM
Pardon questions from a newby to your site; but I did a search and found nothing:

Given the times and the attack on our nation; what is in your BOB, (Bug-Out-Bag)? I have to plan on the wife and I, both in our 60's; mountains are close, water is available, game is plentiful, and it's cold as a ..... well ..... it's cold most of the year here. Especially in the mountains.

I figure given my age and disabilities, I can realistically carry 35-40 pounds without too much trouble and the wife could carry maybe 20-30 pounds in backpacks.

What kind of backpack? Will a cheapie WalMart backpack work or do I need to get something like a Maxpedition?

Another question: do you know of a paperback identifying edible plants, primarily in the Rockies? Specifically, if possible, The Sangre de Cristos and San Juan Mountains?

Thanks for your input.

BTW, nice site, good folks, (mostly).

March 2, 2009, 11:15 AM
Welcome Aboard, Hilligan; That said, my wife and I are older than you, and live in the Ozark Mountains. So far as a BOB, our thinking is to just stay put. Neither one of us are capable of carrying much of a load, and certainly not for any distances. We have essentially all the needed items, i.e., water,edible plants, shelter,wild animals, etc, close by. But recently I picked up Pocket Tutor Guide, by Waterford Press. It's called "Edible Wild Plants", an introduction to familiar North American Species.
It is folding,slick finished, almost like plastic, and would take a beating in your pocket or BOB. $5.95 To order, call Waterford Press, 1-800-434-2555
IBSN-10 1-58355-127-1 is the catalog number.
Hopefully, this is what you are looking for. Enjoy the great outdoors!! :)

March 2, 2009, 12:32 PM
I went to Amazon and ordered it along with the medicinal one.

Maybe between you and Waterford the wife and I can survive for a week or two.

Staying put is an option; but after watching the chaos after Katrina, I don't know ... Seems like our new administration is bent on taking everything away from anybody that has anything and giving it to people that have never hit a lick in their lives. I don't think I want to play that game.

Gonna be interesting .... Hope I live long enough to see what happens.

Thanks for your input and good luck.

March 2, 2009, 02:50 PM
See my response to your other post.