PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first shotty

91slicktop
February 27, 2009, 03:06 PM
New member here, decided to go out and get a shotty today, it's my first.

Mossberg 500 Tactical 12 gauge. Picked up 2 boxes of #1 buckshot and 1 box of 3" slugs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Cockersrock999/MossbergTac500.jpg

BigJimP
February 27, 2009, 03:07 PM
Congratulations - and welcome.

91slicktop
February 27, 2009, 03:09 PM
Thank you! Hopefully I'll break this thing in over the weekend!

hogdogs
February 27, 2009, 03:14 PM
Another masochist?
3 inch slugs huh? :eek: Lemme know how those work for you:D! Also read the "My Shoulder Hurts" thread...
For HD needs you will never need the increased payload nor recoil of 3 inch rounds... The 2 3/4 slugs and 00 buck in 15 round boxes are way under 10 bucks at walmart as of a couple weeks ago. Also buy a few 100 count "bricks" of 7 1/2 low brass field loads for practice. Load shoot cycle and repeat... I think you will like the Mossy!
Brent

New_Pollution1086
February 27, 2009, 03:17 PM
Good looking shotgun.

T

91slicktop
February 27, 2009, 03:27 PM
Slugs werent really for HD, i got the buckshot for that.

Slugs were more or less to go play with at my friends property. Thank you for the advice on the target rounds to get.

hogdogs
February 27, 2009, 04:17 PM
The slugs are good to train your self POA/POI discipline.
Brent

oneounceload
February 27, 2009, 07:58 PM
sorry, but what's a "shotty"?...

MrNiceGuy
February 27, 2009, 08:03 PM

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shotty

The general consensus seems to be that it's a technique for smoking marijuana that requires at least two people.
Other meanings include claiming the front seat, and i think they mentioned something in there about shotguns..

rantingredneck
February 27, 2009, 08:07 PM

By my observations, a shotgun that has had either an M4 style stock or PGO bolted onto it along with at least one of the following:
a) heat shield
b) muzzle brake
c) "breaching" barrel
d) vertical foregrip

Bonus "shotty" points are apparently awarded for multiples of A-B.

:D.

I suspect "shotty" points are redeemable at the local mall.........

colostomyclown
February 27, 2009, 08:18 PM
By my observations, a shotgun that has had either an M4 style stock or PGO bolted onto it along with at least one of the following:
a) heat shield
b) muzzle brake
c) "breaching" barrel
d) vertical foregrip
e) christmas lights
f) clipboard attachment for top secret vide0 game c0d3s
g) painting of World of warcraft character on side of receiver
h) has never been broken in or patterned

Bonus "shotty" points are apparently awarded for multiples of A-B.

Sorry, had to fix it up!

I suspect "shotty" points are redeemable at the local mall.........

rantingredneck
February 27, 2009, 08:22 PM
Sorry, had to fix it up!

See I was trying to be nice.........;)

hogdogs
February 27, 2009, 08:33 PM
I have never once heard a weed "hit" called a shotty... we always referred to that as a "shotgun"... shotty is a quick way to type shotgun in firearm talk.
Brent

oneounceload
February 27, 2009, 08:53 PM
we always referred to that as a "shotgun"... shotty is a quick way to type shotgun in firearm talk.

So,to save 1 letter, you would prefer to sound like some uneducated high-school. kid??

Sorry....but "shotty" is NOT acceptable.......I can barely tolerate "mossy", or "remmy".....but shotty is just juvenile......

it's a SHOTGUN....nothing more, nothing less

91slicktop
February 27, 2009, 08:56 PM
are we really arguing about "shotty". Wow, rather ridiculous.

MrNiceGuy
February 27, 2009, 08:56 PM
I have never once heard a weed "hit" called a shotty.

me neither, but apparently we dont spend enough time on http://urbandictionary.com

MrNiceGuy
February 27, 2009, 08:58 PM

woah... calm down there Casanova.

there's no need to get so defensive....

lets see some better pics of your "shotty"
and by "shotty" i mean it in it's most legal of terms, lets hope you do to

rantingredneck
February 27, 2009, 09:17 PM

My apologies, I'm sitting in a hospital room at present and am a bit punchy and tired. This leads to increased levels of sarcasm and smartarsedness from yours truly, which is my failing.....

The trouble with the term "shotty" is that for many of us it represents a coursening of the gun-culture and represents the worst stereotypes that non-gun folks have of gun folks. The mallninjaness of it all, you understand.

Some advice......

By all means break in your new shotgun. As our resident moderator and guru Dave McC is wont to say, Buy Ammo, Use Up, Repeat.

In doing this you will learn what works on your shotgun and what hinders.

My prediction is that if you truly BA/UU/R you will quickly ditch the M4 stock as shoulder bruising and cheek burn are not conducive to high volume use. You'll also find out that the heat shield is unnecessary, though at least it isn't the plastic variety with faux ghost rings on top.

Enjoy and do get to know your new firearm. And welcome to TFL.

oneounceload
February 27, 2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks RR!...thought it was just maybe me........

Appreciate your agreement and support

hogdogs
February 27, 2009, 10:46 PM
Lemme clear it up... Shotgun requires more on my part to type than shotty... Not one letter as i get to "double tap" the "T"... I feel for any sitting in a hospital as I spent 23 days in one in 9-07 with no innernet time at all. But my shot gun has non of the aforementioned accoutrements with the exception of patterned... Mine has had thousands of rounds thru it and most were pointed at a target...
For my desire to type as i dang well please do not place me in the fart teams of mall ninja! Not until i put a "tac trigger" in it...
Double R i hope you are feeling better but don't include me in the mall ninja groups... I sold my trench coat and tac sling with PGO far too long ago to be included...:D
Brent

rantingredneck
February 27, 2009, 10:50 PM
Double R i hope you are feeling better but don't include me in the mall ninja groups...

Brent, you shoot your shotgun way too much to be lumped in with the mall ninjas. :D. No worries there mate.

Thank you, but this time around it isn't me laid up in a hospital bed but Mrs. RR. She'll be out by Sunday and on the mend. At least the Hospital has wifi.....

oneounceload
February 27, 2009, 10:52 PM
God's speed RR - to you and yours

rantingredneck
February 27, 2009, 10:54 PM
God's speed RR - to you and yours

Thank you sir ;).

oneounceload
February 27, 2009, 10:58 PM
No thanks necessary......;)

flippycat
February 28, 2009, 01:57 AM
lol......clap clap clap clap clap clap, way to rip the new guy down with his first posts........wait...

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap ..that was an encore round of applause.

It would of only taken one of you less time to point out that this forum requires a little more sophistication when referring to your firearm and I am sure he would of complied and continued posting.

Sorry to seem a little coarse on ripping the noobs apart, but honestly...you may all be highly skilled in your use and knowledge of firearms ...but you have a lot to learn about tact on the web :)

Most everyone here agrees that firearm owners need to stand strong together...so why not educate instead of ridicule.

hogdogs
February 28, 2009, 02:07 AM
U sayin my "don't hate, rather... educate" campaign has a bit of merit? Who woulda thunk it?:D:rolleyes:
Brent

flippycat
February 28, 2009, 02:11 AM
yes hogdogs, I think it works well :) and it is a lot easier to type then ROFLCOPTERMALLNINJASHOTTYBOOMSHOTTYLOVER

hogdogs
February 28, 2009, 02:34 AM
Flippy, you done went over the limit of wildalaska "esque" run in letters and I now need narcotic pain relievers!
And you gave me a migraine...
glad we are on the same page but since it ain't daylight I am not holding you accountable for the squint eyes I will have in the AM...
Brent

rantingredneck
February 28, 2009, 03:07 AM
Flippycat,

You are correct, hence my subsequent post in the thread, hoping to educate a bit.

While we are on the subject perhaps you (as a relatively new poster to TFL) have not heard the term "Art's Grammaw" as it applies to language one would use around, well........"Art's Grammaw". Perhaps a search or a perusal of the sticky threads......

(hint: Check your sig line against this standard) ;)

RR

Invalid Zero
February 28, 2009, 03:09 AM
3" slugs huh? Have fun with that. :p

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340275

rantingredneck
February 28, 2009, 03:11 AM
........and he ^ has a proper buttstock........

Dave McC
February 28, 2009, 01:36 PM
91, welcome aboard and nice shotgun.

I find the term "shotty" slightly annoying. About the same amount I find people picking nits and splitting hairs and bickering about proper wording.

A couple things about your shotgun......

It needs regular exercise and fresh air. While you advance up the learning curve, you'll find very light loads of bird shot quite useful.

Save the heavy stuff for later. And 3" Maggie Numbs for MUCH later.

Enjoy....

91slicktop
February 28, 2009, 02:57 PM
I intend to get the Limbsaver pad for my stock. I'll get some new pictures of my SHOTGUN (:cool:) up shortly, just need to take some/upload.

Whiteboy67
February 28, 2009, 03:04 PM
He's learning folks!

91slicktop
February 28, 2009, 03:18 PM
As requested:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Cockersrock999/500standup.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Cockersrock999/Mosscloseup.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Cockersrock999/Moss500.jpg

and both of em!:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Cockersrock999/MP15Moss500.jpg

Lee Lapin
February 28, 2009, 06:23 PM
Yep.

It's a shotty, all right. :D

Be safe, 91slicktop,

lpl (And save the 3" slugs for later, as Dr. Dave suggested. Much later... unless you want to find out whether or not that telescoping stock is self-collapsing.)

Naterstein
February 28, 2009, 06:53 PM
So shottie is bad, what about BOOM Stick?

My only concern for his shotgun, is that he has a pistol grip on a Mossberg, gonna be a stretch to reach that safety.

rantingredneck
February 28, 2009, 07:08 PM
So shottie is bad, what about BOOM Stick?

Only if you are Bruce Campbell, the Boom stick is a SxS, and you've got a chainsaw in the other hand. :D

Yes, safety and slide release both become more awkward with a pistol grip stocked Mossberg.

Even though I prefer 870's, I will admit that both of these controls are in a more natural location on the Mossbergs, given a traditional stock.

hogdogs
February 28, 2009, 07:09 PM
Nater, Mine had a pgo for years... just take fingers under trigger guard and and rotate hand up slightly and the safety is right there...
Brent

Katrina Guy
March 2, 2009, 06:27 AM
Haven't added any swords, heat shields, pistol grips, flashlights or extra shot shells to it...
Call me old scool *LOL*

Chuckusaret
March 2, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'd post a pic of my "Persuader", only it's identical to Mossberg's website pic

I have many shotguns of every make and style and a Mossberg 500 12gauge 20" barrel Persuader. I found out the hard way that the Persuader is a great home defense gun as it came configured from Mossberg but worthless after I added all the TactiKool aftermarket junk i.e. folding stock, laser/light, fore end pistol grip, ghost sights, sling, receiver shot saddle, shell follower. If the gun is a conversation piece fine but if it is for HD keep it simple @#%^&(KISS). The junk added weight, bulk and got caught on everthing in the house. The laser/light if used in a home invasion makes you a great target for the home invader. The anti gun freaks also classify the TactiKool shotguns as assult rifles. What do they know.