PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about scopes on a shotgun..

Super-Dave
February 27, 2009, 09:58 AM
I have been thinking about buying one of those cantilever barrels and getting a good scope and using this set up for hunting.

However, since shotguns have so much recoil, how long will a scope last before the recoil destroys it?

Also, how many times can you fire it before the scopes zero is shaken loose from the recoil and you have to re-sight the scope?

hogdogs
February 27, 2009, 10:24 AM
There are a ton of shot gun specific scopes built with long eye relief to keep you from suffering "scope eye" when you shoot as well as durable for the recoil. But If were to need a scope I would also want a .270 or .30-06 under it. If my shot gun can reach it I can see it and vice versa.... YMMV...
Brent

Flyfisher
February 27, 2009, 11:11 AM
...on my 870 with a rifled barrel for at least 20 years. Here in Michigan, we can only use shotguns to hunt deer in the lower 1/3 of the state. I really don't shoot it that often in the off season. But, the scope has held up quite well and I have never had to adjust it since it has been sighted in. I take it out before the season opens to check it every year. I have not heard any of my companions complain about their scopes being out of alignment, either. I won't say that it can't happen; it just hasn't been an isssue with me.

Rembrandt
February 27, 2009, 11:56 AM
Have scopes on a number of shotguns and have never experienced destroyed or loss of alignment from recoil. If that's happening, it sounds like somebody is using cheap scopes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/slugs.jpg