PDA

View Full Version : interarms walther tph .22lr value

envme1
February 25, 2009, 08:36 AM
Hi All, New To This Forum, I Have A Question, I Recently Acquired A Few Guns From My Grandfather. Included In His Estate Was A Stainless Walther Tph, In The Box And Appears To Be Unfired. (could Be Wrong About That Though) Can Someone Tell Me An Aprox. Value For This Gun As I Would Like To Sell It To Purchase Something Else, And I Cant Trust The Local Gun Shop To Give Me An Accurate Value! Thanks All!

Playboypenguin
February 25, 2009, 08:40 AM
Sell it on your own. A gunshop will not give you what it is worth. Last time I saw one was when I passed one up for $425 locally. I wish I had bought that one.

orchidhunter
February 25, 2009, 09:01 AM
Cheats and beats are on the gun forums as well as in the gun stores. To find it's true value, put it up for auction. Welcome to the forum. orchidhunter

PSP
February 25, 2009, 10:47 AM
Welcome to the forum.

The .22lr. stainless Interarms model of the TPH is the least valuable of the line. The complete box should contain a manual, extra magazine and a test target. Some came with a small bag containing the pistol.

A pristine TPH of this finish should bring a retail price of around $500. The magazines alone are valuable, bringing as much as $50. The last I bought several years ago was $35, and I was happy to find it.

Two ways to sell;

Place a on-line ad with a forum, (here for example), or sell locally at a gun show or through a newspaper ad.

Place an ad on one of the sales sites available such as Gunbroker.

These are sought after guns. If you price it correctly (not too high), it will sell quickly.

Good luck with the sale

Bill DeShivs
February 25, 2009, 04:20 PM
Gun shops can't give you retail value for a gun because they have to resell it at a profit. Some people seem to think this practice is wrong. Those people are probably also waiting on their stimulus money.

envme1
February 26, 2009, 09:01 AM
i dont disagree with the practice at all, i am in the automotive industry, so i understand it perfectly! the problem is when i took it to my local gun shop they told me they would only give me $175 for it. i tought it was a bit low, i have come to realize that it is well below resale value. i have no problem with the the concept of wholesale market pricing, but 30% of value is rediculous!

PSP
February 26, 2009, 09:19 AM
envme1,
Where are you located? Local forum members may be interested in buying from you. Are face to face private handgun sales legal in your state?

envme1
February 26, 2009, 12:49 PM
located near buffalo ny, erie county, and yes sale is permitted after registration is settled. thanks for all the help guys!

lel
March 4, 2009, 08:59 AM
The Walther TPH in 22LR is RARE and no longer made, Also a sweetheart of a gun and accurate for such a little thing. (the .25 is common & less valuable). If yours is unfired/in the box - KEEP IT! and pass it on to your grand children.
If you must sell, Search both GunBroker.com and GunsAmerica.com to get an idea of what they sell for depending on condition. I recently saw a NIB for about $650.
BE AWARE the Magazine is in HIGH demand, many TPH 22 guns are sold with one mag, since the second mag can draw up to $100. I just paid $72 for one TPH 22 mag and feel I was lucky to find one.

Tom2
March 4, 2009, 09:19 AM
I was always hearing problems with the .22 version when it came out. Jams, feeding problems, etc. I think it was originally a .25 auto and apparently worked better in that cal, if that is what appeals to you. I myself would not turn up my nose at a .25 version at a really good price, but I have not seen them anywhere in that cal. Apparently they thought the .22 would have more appeal in the US market, so that is what I always see, if I see any. I suppose it would be great if it had no bugs or you could work out the problems it might have, for alot of shooting. In any case, an out of production small Walther like that should bring you a nice profit with NIB, as you state. Auction sounds good to me. Make sure the gun is clean and looking it's best and take good pictures for an auction. Bad pictures will not help it sell to max price at all.

PSP
March 4, 2009, 10:58 AM
The Walther TPH in 22LR is RARE and no longer made, Also a sweetheart of a gun and accurate for such a little thing. (the .25 is common & less valuable).

Sorry, but you have that backwards. The .22lr model is not hard to find. It is the .25acp model that is VERY hard to find. Even the Interarms .25 will bring $800 or more. A German TPH in either caliber brings more money, and are always blued, but a German .25 may fetch well over $1000. I've seen them go as high as $1600. A German .22 goes for more than a stainless Interarms by usually $100 or more.

Why the .25 mags are plentiful is a mystery, but probably because there are so few buyers. The .22 mags are tough to find.

lel , the Nill grips are spectacular. Did you buy it that way or add them?

James K
March 4, 2009, 11:16 AM
Some gun shops will handle consignment sales. That means they agree to sell the gun for you and take a percentage of the sale price (usually 10-15%). If you agree to go that way, get the agreement in writing, and decide on a sale price; the dealer knows his customers and might well be able to get more than you think it is worth. You will usually come out better that way than selling it to the store, which will usually try to buy it for about half what they think they can sell it for. (Note, the dealer has to log the gun in on a consignment sale and log it back out if you take if off consignment; this can be a problem in some states, where you have to fill out papers and pay a fee to get your own gun back.)

We all need to recognize that assessing the value of anything is not an exact science. At best, the result is an educated guess, based on knowledge of previous sales. A book like the Blue Book helps, but needs to be recognized as a guide, not the holy writ. Not even auctions help, since prices at one auction can vary widely from prices of similar items at another auction. (Some folks make a good living just by buying at one auction and selling at another, but that takes a lot of experience.)

Jim

lel
March 5, 2009, 07:17 AM
PSP - I ordered the Nill grips from Germany at considerable expense, and they feel as great as they look. ( http://www.nill-griffe.com )
I don't understand why Walther builds such finely crafted guns, and then sticks cheap plastic grips on them.

bob.a
March 5, 2009, 02:35 PM
I've heard that the problem with the early Interarms-made TPH 22s was they were sent out with the .25 recoil spring. No idea if it's true.

marswalker29
March 21, 2010, 07:48 PM
Hey - if you still have the tph i may be interested in purchase.

thanks

PSP
March 21, 2010, 08:35 PM
A thread revival! Otherwise known as "a reason to post a picture". :D

These are fun, well made, very thin hideouts. I love 'em.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Walther/tph25019.jpg

randwohlers
April 21, 2010, 01:54 PM
I saw your posting regarding the stainless Walther TPH.

When and if you decide to sell, please let me know.

My email address is: randwohlers@cox.net

Chesster
April 21, 2010, 05:17 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'd list in Gunbroker.com with a 499.00 starting price and a $35.00 shipping cost. Let the market decide. Be sure to study up on details before listing like

Do I want to ship from FFL to FFL, then I need a local FFL willing to handle the transfer for me and that will be an extra fee.

Some FFLs are picky about receiving shipment from individuals.

Costs for shipping from FEDEX or USPs, some of their local shops are fussy, talk to them beforehand, you can't ship USPS which is cheaper but an FFL dealer can.

There will be costs/fees to Gunbroker for listing and based on selling price.

There are deadbeat bidders so beware and only accept certified funds for payment.

You will need to keep copy of the receiving FFL should you ship to one as an individual. Also, you must send the receiving FFL a copy of your Driver's License with the gun for his records so he can log it in.

Or you can save all this hastle and just sell it to me now!!!:D

Chesster
April 21, 2010, 05:24 PM
PSP nice pics. I had a powerful hankerin' for one in .22 25-30 years ago. Couldn't find a TPH so I spent a hundred bucks on an Iver Johnson TP22 similar in shape and size. Surprisingly, I fired over 2000 rounds with never a missfire or jam. Good 22s, cheap 22s, grungy 22s, it did not discriminate. Sold it a few years after they quit making them for.....$100.

PSP
April 21, 2010, 06:03 PM
Also, you must send the receiving FFL a copy of your Driver's License with the gun for his records so he can log it in.

A bill of sale should suffice. The recieving FFL needs to know who owned the gun and his address. There is no requirement to send a copy of one's driver's license and in fact making a copy of a Virginia license is illegal. Some FFL recieve transfers from normal people selling, (non-FFL holder), but some will only recieve from another FFL.

Couldn't find a TPH so I spent a hundred bucks on an Iver Johnson TP22 ...

I found this American Arms PX22 a while ago. When Iver Johnson stopped making them, American Arms took over and produced them for a few years. Nice guns, very similar to the TPH. Mine is a little ammo picky. Here's a PPK/S to show a size comparison.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/px22003.jpg

Chesster
April 21, 2010, 08:43 PM
A bill of sale should suffice. The recieving FFL needs to know who owned the gun and his address. There is no requirement to send a copy of one's driver's license and in fact making a copy of a Virginia license is illegal. Some FFL recieve transfers from normal people selling, (non-FFL holder), but some will only recieve from another FFL.

My dealer states he called ATF and was instructed to accept only an FFL or copy of a "Government photo ID" if from an individual. Requirement or not, that is what has to be sent or he will not handle the transfer.

Tvet
October 31, 2011, 02:39 PM
There are 2 different guns with the same name. The German version is typical Walther excellence:the American version (mine),not so much. The U.S. model has a POS magazine that is very difficult to find a replacement for.I'm looking if anyone has one. The German is worth about 50% more than ours.

Chesster
November 1, 2011, 07:55 AM
[QUOTWalther TPH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are 2 different guns with the same name. The German version is typical Walther excellence:the American version (mine),not so much. The U.S. model has a POS magazine that is very difficult to find a replacement for.I'm looking if anyone has one. The German is worth about 50% more than ours.

E][/QUOTE]

I have found that typical of many of the US v. German Walthers. The clone, even a licensed copy, is not the same as the original on original tooling with skilled craftsmen.